DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 13281
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2018
Leaf Number: 314199
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: Yikes, degradation is looking bad (2018 Leaf)

Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:02 am

WetEV wrote:
spicythots wrote:Perhaps the bigger kick below the belt is Nissan's remedy for batteries meeting the capacity loss warranty: they will no longer replace batteries, rather they repair them to bring their capacity back up to 70%. This was confirmed by my dealership after I camped out in their lobby until they called Nissan to answer my questions.


That' s all the warranty claims to do.

However, there good practical reasons why that is unlikely, and no reported cases of anything other than replacement with a new battery.


He is confusing workmanship warranty with degradation warranty. A failed cell in a pack with 80% capacity will be replaced with a cell at 80% capacity. A degraded pack will be replaced with a new pack.

For all detractors, prove me wrong. Show me one instance where someone got a replacement pack that was not at 100%.

He got the warranty parameters completely wrong.
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 deceased. 29,413 miles. 2018 S40; 11,987 miles, 485 GIDs, 37.6 kwh 110.89 Ahr , SOH 96.00, Hx 115.22
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

spicythots
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:11 pm
Delivery Date: 05 Jul 2018

Re: Yikes, degradation is looking bad (2018 Leaf)

Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:14 am

Lol, calm down guy-who-still-uses-blogspot. I could be wrong, but that is what the service department confirmed after having to call Nissan due to themselves not knowing the answer. I'll reference the warranty information booklet when I get home this afternoon.

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 13281
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2018
Leaf Number: 314199
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: Yikes, degradation is looking bad (2018 Leaf)

Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:21 am

spicythots wrote:Lol, calm down guy-who-still-uses-blogspot. I could be wrong, but that is what the service department confirmed after having to call Nissan due to themselves not knowing the answer. I'll reference the warranty information booklet when I get home this afternoon.


There is no "could be" about it. You are spreading FUD that was resolved well before the first 2018 hit the street!

And you have all the resources needed to verify your information but instead you chose to pass on what the dealership told you...
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 deceased. 29,413 miles. 2018 S40; 11,987 miles, 485 GIDs, 37.6 kwh 110.89 Ahr , SOH 96.00, Hx 115.22
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

spicythots
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:11 pm
Delivery Date: 05 Jul 2018

Re: Yikes, degradation is looking bad (2018 Leaf)

Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:39 am

I'm obviously new here. If I'm misinformed, wouldn't this be the type of conversation that needs to be had to clear the air? Your immediate default to accusing me of propagating FUD makes you seem unstable. Chill, guy. I love my 2018 SV, and I champion EV adoption in every conversation I have about it.

Having bought several new cars in my lifetime and having never been given incorrect information regarding a warranty, I don't think I was unreasonable in believing there was a kernel of truth in what the dealership told me.

kosjet
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:05 pm
Delivery Date: 29 Sep 2018
Leaf Number: 317089
Location: Delaware

Re: Yikes, degradation is looking bad (2018 Leaf)

Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:01 am

spicythots wrote:
Your dealership should have provided a warranty information booklet that lays out the specifics. During the sale the saleswoman tried to assuage my TMS/degradation fears with the 100,000 mile warranty, but come to find out this is for complete battery failure. There is a separate warranty for battery capacity, which is 5 years/60k miles for SOH less than 70%. I can post a picture this evening if you're unable to find yours.

Perhaps the bigger kick below the belt is Nissan's remedy for batteries meeting the capacity loss warranty: they will no longer replace batteries, rather they repair them to bring their capacity back up to 70%. This was confirmed by my dealership after I camped out in their lobby until they called Nissan to answer my questions. Maybe you all knew that; I'm still new here and have yet to read all the pertinent threads.


Yes I have it and it's available online here: https://owners.nissanusa.com/content/techpub/ManualsAndGuides/LEAF/2018/2018-LEAF-warranty-booklet.pdf

Here's what it says:
"LITHIUM-ION BATTERY CAPACITY
COVERAGE
In addition to the lithium-ion Battery
Coverage for defects in materials or
workmanship, the lithium-ion battery
is also warranted against capacity
loss below nine segments as shown
on the vehicle’s battery capacity
level gauge for 96 months or 100,000
miles, whichever comes first."

Sorry where are you getting your warranty information? Maybe it's different in different countries? But this is the correct warranty for the US Leaf.
2018 Leaf SL w/Tech delivered 9/29/2018

spicythots
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:11 pm
Delivery Date: 05 Jul 2018

Re: Yikes, degradation is looking bad (2018 Leaf)

Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:06 am

That's great- thanks for the response & civility kosjet. I was operating off of bad information from my dealership's service department apparently. In their defense they've sold a grand total of 2 Leafs, so their working knowledge of EVs is lacking. Non-Tesla EVs are a rarity in Texas, unfortunately.

kosjet
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:05 pm
Delivery Date: 29 Sep 2018
Leaf Number: 317089
Location: Delaware

Re: Yikes, degradation is looking bad (2018 Leaf)

Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:46 pm

spicythots wrote:That's great- thanks for the response & civility kosjet. I was operating off of bad information from my dealership's service department apparently. In their defense they've sold a grand total of 2 Leafs, so their working knowledge of EVs is lacking. Non-Tesla EVs are a rarity in Texas, unfortunately.


No worries! :) . I lived in Texas for 10 years so glad to hear about a fellow Leaf driver in the great state. Also keep in mind that the 9 to 8 bar state of health is not yet known for the 2018 Leaf. Nissan is reserving a lot of wiggle room for themselves. But based on the previous generation Leafs (Leaves?) , it seems to be around 60-65% SOH. Happy driving!
2018 Leaf SL w/Tech delivered 9/29/2018

dwl
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:06 pm
Delivery Date: 08 Jan 2016
Leaf Number: 112097
Location: New Zealand

Re: Yikes, degradation is looking bad (2018 Leaf)

Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:42 pm

DaveinOlyWA wrote:He is confusing workmanship warranty with degradation warranty. A failed cell in a pack with 80% capacity will be replaced with a cell at 80% capacity. A degraded pack will be replaced with a new pack.

For all detractors, prove me wrong. Show me one instance where someone got a replacement pack that was not at 100%.

He got the warranty parameters completely wrong.

The 24kWh warranty replacements in Australia are reportedly being delivered with 93-95% SOH. http://ozleaf.proboards.com/thread/398/replacement-battery-pack?page=7&scrollTo=14704. These might still be new packs with some calendar ageing but they aren’t 100%.
2014 S - 6000 km Jan 2016; 45000 km May 2017 95% SoH; 68,000 km Mar 2018 90% SoH

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 13281
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2018
Leaf Number: 314199
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: Yikes, degradation is looking bad (2018 Leaf)

Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:00 am

dwl wrote:
DaveinOlyWA wrote:He is confusing workmanship warranty with degradation warranty. A failed cell in a pack with 80% capacity will be replaced with a cell at 80% capacity. A degraded pack will be replaced with a new pack.

For all detractors, prove me wrong. Show me one instance where someone got a replacement pack that was not at 100%.

He got the warranty parameters completely wrong.

The 24kWh warranty replacements in Australia are reportedly being delivered with 93-95% SOH. http://ozleaf.proboards.com/thread/398/replacement-battery-pack?page=7&scrollTo=14704. These might still be new packs with some calendar ageing but they aren’t 100%.


That is not unusual for 24 and 30 kwh packs as the numbers seem to "puff up" a bit after the battery has a few cycles under its belt. My 30 kwh LEAF did the same with day one stats ahr 81.54 (would rise to 82.34 in a few days) Hx 99.66 (103ish)

But as mentioned before, the 2018 stats act COMPLETELY different in that they do not wander up and down. They either stay the same or drop. Never goes up, not even .01%.

This is all a bit fishy to me as battery measuring devices are simply...well not that good.

Is it possible, there is another math error in here somewhere?
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 deceased. 29,413 miles. 2018 S40; 11,987 miles, 485 GIDs, 37.6 kwh 110.89 Ahr , SOH 96.00, Hx 115.22
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SageBrush
Posts: 2843
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:28 am
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017
Location: Colorado

Re: Yikes, degradation is looking bad (2018 Leaf)

Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:13 am

dwl wrote:The 24kWh warranty replacements in Australia are reportedly being delivered with 93-95% SOH. http://ozleaf.proboards.com/thread/398/replacement-battery-pack?page=7&scrollTo=14704. These might still be new packs with some calendar ageing but they aren’t 100%.

That is interesting news and supports my suspicion held for years that would be the case.
It also would explain why Nissan has increased the battery cost: they have a limited supply they want to last until they do not have to support the car anymore (2025-ish).

If we see the same in the USA, I'll be convinced.
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado
3/2018: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

Return to “LEAF Gen 2 & Infiniti EV”