LEAF 2 : What we know so far (2018 or later?)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LEAFguy said:
If it's not the right tool for the job, buy another tool.

True. Or my philosophy: get what does 95% of your needs and figure out how to make it work for your other 5%, and if not, then rent that other 5%. (The same with pickup trucks.)

But regardless, everyone will have their own opinion. Seems like I read something somewhere where when the guys at Tesla asked a community in Europe what would be an EV range that would be acceptable their response was at least 500 miles. But until batteries get cheaper, car companies like Nissan will have to decide where the fine line between too-cheap-too-small and too-expensive-too-big is.

I hope the new Leaf will have a very big battery. But not if it costs as much as a Bolt or a Tesla. In which case I'd have to say:

If the tool is too expensive, make another tool work.

LEAFguy said:
LeftieBiker said:
I'm not really expecting a 60kwh battery in the early 2018 SL either, but I see problems with both of your points. First, the SL is priced about $7k more than the SV, and comparing price differentials with the previous generation has limitations on utility. $6k should be able to buy another 20kwh of capacity with no problem, because it would just be a question of adding to the 40kwh pack, not adding a second whole pack. As for the space issue, there is room under there for a spare tire in the Gen 1 Leaf! Some of that space has to be reserved for crumple zone use, but not, I suspect, all of it. In short, I think the 60kwh pack won't be here until 2018, but not because it's too expensive or won't fit. I'm guessing that it didn't perform well enough in early field testing.
First, the price differential from S to SL is for feature content currently, and will continue to be for feature content in 2018 and beyond. You pay more money, you get more stuff. It doesn't matter if it's electric or gas, this has always been true. For example, the BMW 320i starts at $33,450. The 330i has the same drivetrain yet starts at $38,750. More features cost money. That's not to say that if and when they do come out with a larger battery, you won't be able to buy an S trim level for the same money but it won't have all the SL goodies.

Your second point is more interesting. Yes, there is some room under the cargo area. I don't know that it's enough for an extra 20 kWh of capacity, but there's some. Interestingly enough, this would also go toward improving the overall weight balance of the car, as the current bias is front-heavy. They would need to increase the rear spring rates and probably make other minor suspension mods, but this redesign could have taken those ideas into consideration. This could also actually improve handling characteristics by improving weight balance. There are rumors of a 60 kWh design making a late entry but I am reluctant to buy into rumors. This idea, however, does have merit.

a few things we need to review; a proto 60 kwh pack only somewhat larger than a 24 kwh pack adding the weight of a passenger was displayed a few years back. the assumption being that the pack would be smaller next year .

the other; if you have ever installed a hitch, you would realize there is a LOT of extra space. In fact; one guy here installed a spare tire in that space.

finally; the price difference between trims is about the same so not sure why anyone would think the SL has a larger pack.

DaveinOlyWA said:
<snip>
the other; if you have ever installed a hitch, you would realize there is a LOT of extra space. In fact; one guy here installed a spare tire in that space. <snip>
Just because someone (Tony W. IIRR) installed a spare tire in that space doesn't mean that it could be used for anything else easily, as the car has to be crash-tested and that space may well be designed as crush space.

GRA said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
<snip>
the other; if you have ever installed a hitch, you would realize there is a LOT of extra space. In fact; one guy here installed a spare tire in that space. <snip>
Just because someone (Tony W. IIRR) installed a spare tire in that space doesn't mean that it could be used for anything else easily, as the car has to be crash-tested and that space may well be designed as crush space.

the space is above the rails of the frame. it would not be a good crush space

Two weeks and a day until the reveal. And we can see the 2018 Leaf for ourselves at some of the Drive In Week events.

DaveinOlyWA said:
GRA said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
<snip>
We don't (can't) know that. it may well be that the frame is designed to deform up into that space rather than moving fore and aft.

NeilBlanchard said:
Two weeks and a day until the reveal. And we can see the 2018 Leaf for ourselves at some of the Drive In Week events.
If You can get to Detroit, you can see the Gen two yourself, only hours after the reveal in Japan:

Nissan to showcase next-generation LEAF at first-ever Technology in Motion exhibition in Detroit

DETROIT – Nissan is bringing the all-new 2018 Nissan LEAF to the inaugural Technology in Motion (TIM Detroit) exhibition and conference in Detroit. The three-day event will be one of the first opportunities to see the next-generation LEAF electric car following its global unveil.

TIM Detroit attendees will have the opportunity to hear about the 2018 Nissan LEAF from Chris Reed, vice president, research & development, Nissan Technical Center North America. Reed will participate in a fireside chat on Wednesday, Sept. 6, at 9 a.m. from the Main Stage inside Cobo Center.

"The launch of the Nissan LEAF is the perfect kickoff for TIM Detroit," said KC Crain, president and chief operating officer, Crain Communications – a co-producer of TIM Detroit. "It clearly demonstrates the innovative spirit that TIM Detroit is designed to showcase."

TIM Detroit attendees also will have the chance to further explore Nissan Intelligent Mobility, the company's blueprint for transforming how cars are driven, powered and integrated into our lives, through an interactive display on the show floor.

With new technologies like ProPILOT Assist and e-Pedal, the new LEAF represents a key milestone in Nissan's ongoing commitment to bring accessible, advanced driver assistance technologies to mainstream vehicles.
http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/releases/nissan-to-showcase-next-generation-leaf-at-first-ever-technology-in-motion-exhibition-in-detroit

GRA said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
GRA said:
We don't (can't) know that. it may well be that the frame is designed to deform up into that space rather than moving fore and aft.

not a real possibility since there is literally nothing to crush. its a hollow area covered with thin plastic. It is feasible a projectile like accident ala Tesla in Kent? WA a few years back could happen there although I don't know what lies above that area.

I dont think the space would be good for the pack to drop into it either although that is a possibility?

We now *know* what the taillight looks like (although we already knew from spy shots)

New_Nissan_LEAF_Senses_Teaser-750x422.jpg

http://insideevs.com/nissan-leaf-taillight-teaser/

LeftieBiker said:
They just mean "Premium interiors compared to the Bolt."
Or maybe Nissan's corporate espionage service has managed to get what no one who put down a $1,000 deposit on a Tesla model 3 has.

A look at the Tesla without the $5,000 optional "premium" interior...

In all seriousness, I expect the SL interior will be quite nice.

I'll be pleased if only the leak that the SL would be available with an other-than-black leather interior is correct.

The daily high temperature was reported over 100 F for 29 days out of 31 (and on quite a few days, all the way up to the 'teens) last month in nearby Redding, CA.

GRA said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
<snip>

Rear of cars are not normally crush zones... the front is.

The concept is that a front of a car will hit the rear of another. That other car has a crush zone. But you won't be driving 80mph in reverse.

The Tesla Model S has kids in the rear. The RAV4 had an optional third row seating that went in the rear.

SageBrush said:
"The point is that it was CARB who dictated that a SEV or MSEV (minimal Rex Serial EV) is a bad idea and must not receive full credit."

Spin. The car is not a BEV. That should be obvious even to you.

While I hate to even address this here, the painfully obvious and simple answer is and was that BMW can build a fully or partially fiunctioning hybrid to their heart's content.

They just wanted to make sure that they got Zero Emission Vehicle (ZEV) credit for a car that clearly is not. It is the ONLY gasoline burning car that receives full ZEV credit. The only one.

Poor BMW. They have to sell a hybrid (with a low cost gasoline 650cc motorcycle engine) while everybody else must solve the ZEV equation with... zero emissions.

To say that CARB was wrong, I agree. They were wrong to allow a gasoline car in the ZEV category. Totally wrong.

TonyWilliams said:
Poor BMW. They have to sell a hybrid (with a low cost gasoline 650cc motorcycle engine) while everybody else must solve the ZEV equation with... zero emissions.

To say that CARB was wrong, I agree. They were wrong to allow a gasoline car in the ZEV category. Totally wrong.

So true!

A little off-topic. I did search for discussions on winter tires and went back as far as five pages of searches on the current leaf but only got to discussions on winter tires, LSD, and someone getting stuck in snow.

I will definitely be putting decent winter tires on (Michelin or Bridgestone).

How good is the current Leaf with good winter tires in snow and ice? I guess the lower HP/torque helps reduce wheel spin and increases traction?

Just trying to be more pragmatic and not think a Model 3 Tesla with AWD is something I would really need.

internalaudit said:
A little off-topic. I did search for discussions on winter tires and went back as far as five pages of searches on the current leaf but only got to discussions on winter tires, LSD, and someone getting stuck in snow.

How good is the current Leaf with good winter tires in snow and ice? I guess the lower HP/torque helps reduce wheel spin and increases traction?

Just trying to be more pragmatic and not think a Model 3 Tesla with AWD is something I would really need.

If there was no appropriate thread, feel free to start a new one.

GetOffYourGas said:
internalaudit said:

If there was no appropriate thread, feel free to start a new one.

I would presume that those people who are awaiting details on the Leaf 2.0 and live in geographic areas where they have experienced snowfall and ice in their Leaf 1.0 would be willing to provide more informative posts about winter handling seeing how a lot of threads on this forum are a few months old.

I'm only interested in the Leaf 2.0 and I don't want to start a new thread asking about Leaf 1.0 handling when others, except for yourself, can provide invaluable input, not only to me but to other prospective Leaf 2.0 buyers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back