LEAF 2 : What we know so far (2018 or later?)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The battery size is interesting, but I'm far more interested in an improved battery capacity warranty. Up to 35% loss in the first 8 years is just not going to be competitive with Tesla performance which so far averages 1-2% a year.

DaveinOlyWA said:
Durandal said:
I'm guessing the fact that they're being so mum on details of the kWh of the Leaf means that it's only going to be a 40kWh battery. Otherwise, if it was a 50-60kWh battery, they would probably be trumpeting it in order to keep people from jumping off the Nissan ship.

You don't know Nissan very well. They literally slipped the 30 kwh S trim into the 2016 MY without saying a word!

Nissan basically turtled up when they put the kibosh on the "Ask Nissan" subforum here, and rarely stuck their heads out since. I'm not expecting anything beyond a tepid "me too" response to Chevy and Tesla, but I'd love to be surprised.

kmp647 said:
Bumping up to 7.4kw or higher , 7.7? 9.6kw would be almost a must on a 60kwh battery
6.6 would be way to slow

Yah, I picked 7.7 because I seem to remember a BMW or maybe its a Mercedes with that size of charger. Really can't remember. But even a 40 KWH with a 7 or 8 kw charger would be a huge upgrade for us. Really our 30KWH batt works good and probably will for years but a 40 would be a nice extra buffer. We are probably a few years away from an upgrade though..3 or 4 years.

kmp647 said:
Bumping up to 7.4kw or higher , 7.7? 9.6kw would be almost a must on a 60kwh battery
6.6 would be way to slow

6.6kW would be just as fast as it is now on a 24kWH pack. For home charging, a larger capacity pack doesn't mandate a more powerful EVSE. If anything the larger the pack, the less critical the charge speed is. The determinant of your EVSE charge rate needs is how many miles of range you average per day, not the size of the pack.

kmp647 said:
6.6 would be way to slow

+1
10kw is the minimum. I've used my 10kw charger on the RAV4 EV to charge at RV parks. Very helpful.

EVDrive said:
kmp647 said:
6.6 would be way to slow

+1
10kw is the minimum. I've used my 10kw charger on the RAV4 EV to charge at RV parks. Very helpful.
That points to the need for more QCs, not faster L2 for routine at-home charging. Tesla owners seem to be doing just fine with their base OBCs, and I imagine most of them would do just as well with a 6.6kW one. Faster L2 is nice to have given the current inadequate away-from home infrastructure, but how many people would choose to stay/charge at RV campgrounds if they had convenient QCs?

GRA said:
EVDrive said:
kmp647 said:
6.6 would be way to slow

+1
That points to the need for more QCs, not faster L2 for routine at-home charging. Tesla owners seem to be doing just fine with their base OBCs, and I imagine most of them would do just as well with a 6.6kW one. Faster L2 is nice to have given the current inadequate away-from home infrastructure, but how many people would choose to stay/charge at RV campgrounds if they had convenient QCs?
QCs all over are unlikely, there are none in my area and likely never will be any unless VW BUILDS them out 40 miles from here.

L2 with proper amperage /voltage support is good to about 20kw
Nothing special is needed to support that except wires and obviously an overpriced EVSE (which the China price could drive down under $200)
If smart EVSEs were made that could throttle based on the load through your panel any house with a 100+ amp panel could support one, it would be much easier to install these and most interlata travel would be supported. (Day trips/single night trips)

The cost of such a network is an order of magnitude cheaper as it could leverage whatever already exists.

I think the key is getting more street side and light pole and parking lots fitted with any plug even 110 vac as a lot of us go somewhere hours at a time.

I also strongly believe the EVSE standard needs a minor mod to support 277 volts as around here at least it's on every light pole and would require nearly zero investment, whereas 240 would be expensive due to the conversion.

My area has nearly zero EV support (not even L1) so more plugs of any kind are needed in flyover country, QC is nice but expensive, poorly supported and even unreliable in many cases, that won't fly here.

Baby steps

rmay635703 said:
GRA said:
EVDrive said:
+1
QCs all over are unlikely, there are none in my area and likely never will be any unless VW BUILDS them out 40 miles from here.

L2 with proper amperage /voltage support is good to about 20kw
Nothing special is needed to support that except wires and obviously an overpriced EVSE (which the China price could drive down under $200)
If smart EVSEs were made that could throttle based on the load through your panel any house with a 100+ amp panel could support one, it would be much easier to install these and most interlata travel would be supported. (Day trips/single night trips)

The cost of such a network is an order of magnitude cheaper as it could leverage whatever already exists.

I think the key is getting more street side and light pole and parking lots fitted with any plug even 110 vac as a lot of us go somewhere hours at a time.

I also strongly believe the EVSE standard needs a minor mod to support 277 volts as around here at least it's on every light pole and would require nearly zero investment, whereas 240 would be expensive due to the conversion.

My area has nearly zero EV support (not even L1) so more plugs of any kind are needed in flyover country, QC is nice but expensive, poorly supported and even unreliable in many cases, that won't fly here.

Baby steps
+1, higher L2 rates and 277v would be really nice :cool:

Like anything; its all about cost. 9.6 KW would mean an expensive utility upgrade for me so not an option. When I move, I would look into moving somewhere that can handle it but in reality even with my extreme driving need and weird work schedule, there is nearly no time where 6.6 KW would not do it and realize that the GREAT majority of you guys would not be using more than 2/3rd of the range and ALSO not likely charging to full anyway.

So in reality, everyone is "requiring" a 60 kwh pack so they can use the "Middle 40"

DaveinOlyWA said:
Like anything; its all about cost. 9.6 KW would mean an expensive utility upgrade for me so not an option.

So in reality, everyone is "requiring" a 60 kwh pack so they can use the "Middle 40"
? Why would 9.6kw require an expensive upgrade

Even my ancient 40 amp panel would support up to about 7.2kw if the EVSE was throttled since I rarely draw over 10 amps of 110vac, (and my 30 amp dryer plug goes to the driveway) my house when the fridge isn't humming uses about 2 amps of phantom load.

rmay635703 said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Like anything; its all about cost. 9.6 KW would mean an expensive utility upgrade for me so not an option.

Even my ancient 40 amp panel would support up to about 7.2kw if the EVSE was throttled since I rarely draw over 10 amps of 110vac, (and my 30 amp dryer plug goes to the driveway) my house when the fridge isn't humming uses about 2 amps of phantom load.

you need a 50 amp breaker for 9.6 KW. there are simply not that many houses here that will simply add on that without removing something else. you can't overload your panel on the promise that you "will make sure something is off first" ideology. If you are lucky that you got a new house with a 200 or 250 amp panel, you can ignore the post but bringing up a 7.2 KW option is simply....strange

DaveinOlyWA said:
rmay635703 said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

you need a 50 amp breaker for 9.6 KW. there are simply not that many houses here that will simply add on that without removing something else. you can't overload your panel on the promise that you "will make sure something is off first" ideology. If you are lucky that you got a new house with a 200 or 250 amp panel, you can ignore the post but bringing up a 7.2 KW option is simply....strange

I'm not sure I follow. Is this maybe a regional thing. 200 amp service has been the standard even in town houses for the last 30 years. I get that there are those that don't have 200 amp service but why build to the oldest tech or standard. Other than maybe an apartment dweller I know with a 100 amp service I don't think I know anyone with less than 200 amp service. We own a 15 year old townhouse and it has 200 amp service. Maybe it's just a BC thing. We had a dedicated 50 amp service put in the garage for our EVSE and the electrician said we could go to 80. I'm not up on this kind of stuff. Maybe there is more than meets the eye here.

DaveinOlyWA said:
rmay635703 said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

The EVSE is set to deliver the amount available from the panel, that would match the rating of the circuit it's plugged into, My EVSE is capable of delivering many times the current of my different outlets but is simply cranked to match.

EVSE's have the technology to throttle their load dynamically, in Cali for example the utility can send a signal to lower or shut down an EVSE depending on other loads during peak hours.

It is unfortunate that what is legal for a utility is illegal for an individual
It is possible to detect current changes at the panel level in less than tens of thousands of a second, meaning an EVSE could ramp down faster than a circuit could blow keeping your base load below the rating of the panel with a safety factor. The end user would go about their day unaware of the EVSE changing current draw.

The above change will become necessary in a smart grid, code eventually will have to change to put a framework around surplus power.

If I ever get an EV with fast enough charging to warrant I'm not waiting for code to catch up.

Who here has 40 amp service?
Hmm?

DaveinOlyWA said:
rmay635703 said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

None of that is necessary in order to have a 9.6kW charger in your car. You can still hook the car up to a lower power EVSE, and the car will only draw as much power as allowed. No home upgrade necessary. Your car simply charges at 7.2kW at home. Or 3.6kW. Or 1.44kW. Whatever suits your needs and your home's capabilities.

The advantage of a 9.6kW charger in the car is the ability to charge faster in public. Whether that benefit is worth while to you, no one buy you can answer. But don't pretend that faster home charging is the only benefit to a faster on-board charger.

rmay635703 said:
Who here has 40 amp service?
Hmm?
The house I own in the Bay Area has 2 x 30A glass screw-in fuses as the service (4 15A fuses in the panel, 120V only); it was built in 1940. Housing stock lasts a century or so, so while newer construction is 100-200A, there's a lot of older stuff out there.

bad news
yuk
http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/atcl/mag/15/397260/040300156/?rt=nocnt

14zu01.jpg

Why bad news? That site just says this gen of cars will have a range of 300km, and by 2022 they will have 500km of range.
They also say that Nissan doesn't agree with Toyota when they say hybrids are the way forward. Nissan believes in pure electrics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back