LEAF 2 : What we know so far (2018 or later?)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ishiyakazuo said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
ishiyakazuo said:
Interesting. Wonder what exactly they're showing 32 seconds in...

carbon fiber if we are unlucky
It sure looks like it, yeah... strange.

i say unlucky because its likely to push the car out of my (and many other's) financial reach. This would be a mistake.
I can only hope that Nissan recognizes the success of the S trim and continues to strive for better products in that arena

Dave,

I think they will have an S trim still, They know not everybody wants or can afford a LEAF thats priced like an Infiniti

DaveinOlyWA said:
i say unlucky because its likely to push the car out of my (and many other's) financial reach. This would be a mistake.
I can only hope that Nissan recognizes the success of the S trim and continues to strive for better products in that arena

Lasareath said:
Dave,

I think they will have an S trim still, They know not everybody wants or can afford a LEAF thats priced like an Infiniti

DaveinOlyWA said:

of that there is no doubt but the writing is on the wall and its not vague. if you want the big bells, you have to pay for them

I expect Leaf 2 to be priced like Leaf now. They may have more expensive options, though.

After all Leaf has to compete with Bolt and Model 3.

With 544 KM, 338 miles at 100%, and 6 miles per KW, that comes to 56.3 KW usable, so probably 60 KW "nameplate" capacity. Assuming that they can now get 30KW out of the space of the existing 48 battery, they just need to find a place for 48 more modules. 30 laid out flat under the existing pack, and 18 more in the "spare tire" under trunk area and/or in the floor of the trunk. I can see it as a test mule (not crash tested and ready for sale). It would weigh a few hundred pounds more, but a "long distance/highway car" won't be stopping and starting as much so the penalty isn't as big.

At $350-$500 a KW (my price, no source), that would be another $10K to $15K. Cheaper than getting a Tesla.... Cheaper than a Chevy? We'll see.

Yogi62 said:
At $350-$500 a KW (my price, no source), that would be another $10K to $15K. Cheaper than getting a Tesla.... Cheaper than a Chevy? We'll see.

LG Chem's Patil revealed 2 things recently
- 40% more dense batteries (compared to '11)
- 50% cheaper

If this is true for Nissan, they should be able to sell a double range Leaf (48 kWh) for the same price as the '11 24 kWh Leaf.

X post from 2016 LEAF thread.

An Automotive News source comments on CGs statements at the shareholder's meeting, give more explicit range numbers for the 2016 LEAF, and also for the gen 2 mule the (slightly optimistic) GOM of which was shown in the video:
YOKOHAMA, Japan -- Nissan Motor Co., fighting falling sales of its Leaf electric vehicle, plans a midcycle update as early as August that aims to deliver a big increase in the Leaf's driving range, a person familiar with the project said.

The improvements will come from squeezing more energy into the Leaf's lithium ion battery. The new battery will be the same size as the current 24-kilowatt-hour power pack but deliver 30 kwh, the source said.

CEO Carlos Ghosn outlined future EV steps at the company's annual shareholders meeting Tuesday, June 23. Nissan is developing a lighter, thinner, cheaper battery to enable driving ranges comparable with gasoline vehicles in the "near future," he said...

Next to him on stage, Nissan displayed a Leaf equipped with a prototype next-generation electric drivetrain. That technology, which is under development and being tested, achieves a range of more than 500 kilometers (310 miles), the source said.

Ghosn said the goal of the next-generation battery is to eliminate range anxiety by providing enough cushion for people to complete their daily drive and "return home with ample charge."

A video simulation showed the car charging up to a range of more than 310 miles and ending the day with a drivable range of 160 miles still in reserve.

Yet even before that next-generation battery hits the market, Nissan plans an interim upgrade for its flagship green car. "We will not wait for its completion to move forward," Ghosn said.

The Leaf's new 30 kwh battery may arrive as early as August. The battery should achieve an EPA-rated range of about 125 miles on a full charge, the source said. That compares with an EPA-rated range of 84 miles for the current battery.

The real-world range of the new battery, however, is expected to be closer to 105 to 110 miles, the source said. ...
http://www.autonews.com/article/20150629/OEM06/306299980/leaf-to-get-a-big-boost-in-driving-range

edatoakrun said:
The Leaf's new 30 kwh battery may arrive as early as August. The battery should achieve an EPA-rated range of about 125 miles on a full charge, the source said. That compares with an EPA-rated range of 84 miles for the current battery.

The real-world range of the new battery, however, is expected to be closer to 105 to 110 miles, the source said. ...
http://www.autonews.com/article/20150629/OEM06/306299980/leaf-to-get-a-big-boost-in-driving-range[/quote]

If the EPA range is ~125 miles with a 30kWh battery pack, then they have made some aero improvements, or something else to get nearly a 50% increase in range, with a 25% increase in battery capacity. Since my spouse and I are averaging more than the EPA (not less), this is even more impressive.

NeilBlanchard said:
If the EPA range is ~125 miles with a 30kWh battery pack, then they have made some aero improvements, or something else to get nearly a 50% increase in range, with a 25% increase in battery capacity. Since my spouse and I are averaging more than the EPA (not less), this is even more impressive.
Could be that Nissan switched from quoting actual battery capacity to usable battery capacity. Currently usable battery capacity is 21 kWh?

The new battery will be the same size as the current 24-kilowatt-hour power pack but deliver 30 kwh, the source said.

This part keeps me hopeful that Nissan will offer me the option to upgrade to the 30 kWh pack when they replace mine later this year. I would GLADLY pay several thousand more for 25% more range.

I would kill for a 30kw battery upgrade!

especially since I just found out my car is nearly worthless now :) inquired about trading it in since I see so many super cheap 2013-2014's selling (I really want the 6.6 charger and heat pump!)

they informed me my car is worth $6 to $7k. I still owe $17k on it! Ouch.

30kw battery would solve my problems nicely though. that would be a 50% improvement for me assuming 27.5 usable kw (I have 18 right now usable) still says 12 bars though.

A (perhaps) more reliable source reports on the LEAF gen 2, and adds CG's comments on selling BEVs into the cheap-gas headwind:

Next-gen Leaf: More tech despite low sales

Nissan to cut EV's weight, ease charging, boost battery power and driving range

...Officially, Nissan has barely acknowledged that there will be a second-generation Leaf, let alone revealed specifics about the product, which likely will appear in the 2018-20 time frame.

But engineers in Atsugi freely show the work they are doing on a future EV that fits into the Leaf's footprint.

The team is in the late stages of a perfecting a 60 kilowatt-hour lithium ion vehicle battery that has the same dimensions as the 30 kWh battery just introduced on the 2016 Leaf. The 30 kWh battery is an enhancement from last year's 24 kWh battery.

The 60 kWh battery has graduated from r&d last year to running in prototypes today.

Teams also have targeted aerodynamics in a big way for the next EV. Engineers at Atsugi note that even a small improvement in aerodynamic design goes a long way on a battery-powered vehicle...

The enhancements also have targeted the chemical resistance involved in recharging the battery...

In discussing the Leaf's future, Ghosn also hints at a shift in marketing strategy. He acknowledges that U.S. consumers have focused mainly on the economics of owning a battery-powered car. Their equation is how much of the monthly household budget can be saved by not filling up a gasoline tank -- a math equation that loses its excitement when gasoline drops to $1.95 a gallon, as it is in some areas today.

Ghosn says that the marketing focus instead should be environmental...

"The price of gasoline is going to be either head wind or tail wind for us. It will slow you down or accelerate you," he says. "But it's not going to change the direction of where we're going."
http://www.autonews.com/article/20151116/OEM05/311169970/next-gen-leaf-more-tech-despite-low-sales

Hey moderators, can we designate/merge an official Gen 2 LEAF thread?

edatoakrun said:
Hey moderators, can we designate/merge an official Gen 2 LEAF thread?
We have a dedicated sub-forum for it - as we expect a lot of posting about this to be in just one thread.

A small piece posted online on the evening of the 20th June.
Nissan engineer confirms 60 kwh battery and 200 mile range.

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/06/20/nissan-200-mile-leaf-coming/

I seriously doubt that the next leaf will look liked the pictures of that "concept" car. That car is too low and the wheels have no rebounding clearance. also, the body is WAY too complex.

Also, if they ever made a 60 kwh battery, the price would have to go up $5-8K.. I'll believe all that hype when I see them selling them. Has anyone seen that crazy Nissan Japanese commercial of the future Leafs? yeah.... in 50 years..

Personally, I just want to see them MARKET the CURRENT Leaf.... Like a Blitz of TV commercials and in magazines... I also think that a 40kwh battery would be a sweet spot of an EV in the future. No product can be everything to everybody. Those who think that we NEED a 200 mile EV are foolish to think that EV needs to have the same performance qualities as a gas car.

Again, my opinion is that at this point in technology, an EV should only be a SECOND car, which is used like crazy daily. The ICE car is the backup. Any people who think that they should have a Leaf as their only car are deluding themselves and have unrealistic expectations.

There are no reasons why an EV cannot equal the performance and exceed the range of an ICEV. Only the technology has to catch up. The ICEs have a hundred year head start.

However, having said that, the future isn't in single driver freeway commuter usage. The future is in hyperloops between cities and short distance travel devices within cities, i.e., trams, electric bicycles and traveling sidewalks, etc. EVs will be used in the suburbs and will be on-call rentals. Freeways will be obsoleted by the hyperloop technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back