2016 Leaf to have up to 180 miles of range!!!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find it interesting that most here want EVs to be widely adopted, but balk at the idea of companies delivering models that match the styling the broader market has rewarded time and again with huge sales.

I understand early adopters like to stand out and be noticed for being ahead. But when it comes down to it, the general population prefers cars more akin to what appeals to them, be it EV or ICE powered.

While the Tesla, Leaf and i3 make headlines for being EV only designs, we do need companies to produce EV versions of their popular models. They logically can produce more variety and hit more market potential as each model will have a niche of buyers. MB with the Smart and B has taken existing models and provided EV versions. I think we will see (and need to see) more companies pursuing that model. And it looks like Kia is taking the same approach with the Soul and the Fiat is doing it with the 500e. This will allow more models with much lower R&D investment, which should provide better financial results for the companies and in turn allow more to be produced.

When hybrids first came out, there were hybrid only designs, with the intention of standing out and making a statement. Now you can a hybrid version of many popular models. I see the companies pursuing the same strategy as a good indicator that they are preparing to advance this tech to the mass market rather than just us early adopters.

Looking at the pictures, I like it. I do find the grille to be funny for an EV, but when it comes down to it, people like large grilles. I guess they think it looks more powerful. MB has really pushed the large grille concept lately - I like the look of my new CLA, though the 2 liter 4 cylinder in it clearly hardly uses it. They even put shiny points into it to draw more attention to the grille.

I think it looks fantastic, kinda looks like my current car - the Lexus 200h.

OK so if if Nissan can deliver a car which looks like this, with the 300km range (or 250km maybe range on some normal cycle, not the "80km/h downhill with max inflated tires" aka NEDC) and if they can deliver it at least 6 months before Tesla Model 3 then it's a no brainer for me. Sold :D

I call BS on the entire article, with the hope that I'm proven wrong. I actually like the drawings, but they sure don't look like an EV to me (A grill? Really? After all of the airflow testing they did with the LEAF?). I think someone found some Nissan (or maybe even non-Nissan) drawings somewhere and wrote the rest of the "article" around them and the ongoing speculation of a longer-range battery.

I'm from Missouri. Move along folks, nothing to see here...

Yes, but what appeals (or is acceptable) in a 20K econobox and a 30K+ EV is not the same thing. The drawings - and they are just that, someone's concept - look like many 20K vehicles already out there... People expect more pizzazz as the price point escalates, regardless of the vehicle type...

But I suspect it is all irrelevant anyway as the article is very short on substance and likely based more on rumor than fact. The reality will likely be very different...

DarthPuppy said:
I understand early adopters like to stand out and be noticed for being ahead. But when it comes down to it, the general population prefers cars more akin to what appeals to them, be it EV or ICE powered.

Note that this is autoexpress's own drawings. Not Nissan's.

http://insideevs.com/next-generation-nissan-leaf-visualized/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DarthPuppy said:
...Looking at the pictures, I like it. I do find the grille to be funny for an EV, but when it comes down to it, people like large grilles. I guess they think it looks more powerful. MB has really pushed the large grille concept lately - I like the look of my new CLA, though the 2 liter 4 cylinder in it clearly hardly uses it. They even put shiny points into it to draw more attention to the grille.

You're probably right about public tastes. Personally I don't mind a large grille if it is functional, but I hate, hate HATE faux grilles! And it has nothing to do with it being an EV. On my previous car, Mazda RX-8, half of the grille was fake, which I hated from an aesthetic standpoint once I realized there wasn't for airflow. And it was even more tragically stupid because the damned model had overheating issues.
Double_facepalm.jpg

With the state of the art for batteries, EVs need very good aerodynamics. I'm not sure a fat grille and lots of angles and scoops helps in this regard. And as for AC performance the current iteration LEAF seems to do just fine without a monster grille.

I tend to like smooth curves instead of pinches, creases and angles, whether ICE or EV. I loved the design of my old Miata. I was hoping LEAF II would be more sleek, not less. :(

AW likens it to the current 'Pulsar' ... quoting the same source as the OP did but they show this image ...

Nissan-Pulsar_2015_1600x1200_wallpaper_02.jpg

Sorry, but just can't warm up to it ... way too econobox simple but perhaps that's what the general buying public really wants; in the US 'sedan' still typically outsells any comparable 'hatchback' so surprised they might be staying with another hatchback design; I prefer hatchbacks simply because they typically offer more cargo space but this one would not catch my eye.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/car-news/next-nissan-leaf-could-double-its-current-range

mkjayakumar said:
I don't trust this article one bit. If Nissan can give a true 100 miles, aka 120 EPA miles Leaf that will be great
That 186 miles comes from earlier articles quoting Andy Palmer where he says 300 kms is needed to compete with upcoming FCEV vehicles. Since it is also close to 150 EPA miles a survey talked about in Jan, I think it has quite a bit of credibility.

As to the drawings themselves - it is not clear whether these are made by the mag or supposed to be leaked images from Nissan. It is possible these are leaked by Nissan to gauge the reaction (the so called trial balloon).

hill said:
ElectricEddy said:
Devin said:
I wonder where they moved the charge ports.
Inductive charging. (Just a guess) ;)
Why would folks wana pay more for less (efficiency) ?? Inductive = loss .... and greater expense. For now, it's just a gimmick.
For the same reason that people are willing to pay more for most any labor-saving device, even though they cost more and are less efficient than doing it manually. If you use a power lawnmower instead of a push mower, have devices controlled by remotes so you don't have to walk a few steps or get out of your car, or use a cell phone instead of a landline, you know what convenience is worth to you. The extra cost/lower efficiency of inductive charging is minimal compared to the cost of buying gas, not to mention the cost of being late for work because you forgot to plug the car in the day before. And then there are the security, reliability, safety and liability benefits of public inductive EVSEs, which are even greater than for personal ones.

Edit: Via GCC,

"Wireless charging company WiTricity scaling up EV charging capability as well as itself"

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2014/09/20140902-witricity.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't really care how it looks. All I care about is functionality and cost. If it can be a super cheap car to drive around in the city, great! If it has much longer range for a small increase in price, that's great too. But I'm OK with renting an ICE for the occasional road trip if needed.

I'm starting to get a little apprehensive about not hearing any recent news about LEAF 2.0. For a while, we were getting little hints and snippets about upcoming potential Gen 1 MY's and Gen 2.0. But now, after the exec shake up and news about battery sourcing, we aren't hearing anything.

I understand that they don't want to dampen sales of 2015/2016 (Gen 2 is 2017, right?), but I would very much like to have something hinted at. :)

Has anyone else heard or read anything recent?

One of the (many) reasons why I am looking elsewhere...

BoulderLeaf said:
I'm starting to get a little apprehensive about not hearing any recent news about LEAF 2.0. For a while, we were getting little hints and snippets about upcoming potential Gen 1 MY's and Gen 2.0. But now, after the exec shake up and news about battery sourcing, we aren't hearing anything.I understand that they don't want to dampen sales of 2015/2016 (Gen 2 is 2017, right?), but I would very much like to have something hinted at. :)

Back