LA/Ontario International Airport EV parking

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kataphn said:
Here is the link about EV parking at this airport. Not free :cry: And not clear if stations have been updated to J1772. Maybe someone out that way can check it out? http://www.lawa.org/welcome_ONT.aspx?id=108

Pah! ONT sucks anyways. I only flew into there once, after my long delayed flight from SEA was diverted because SNA had closed for the night already, and that was enough!

ONT used to be a cheaper alternative to SNA, but now the deals are fewer and far-between. Still, it's much easier to fly in/out of than LAX. Do they have J1772? Doubtful, but worth checking into.

mwalsh said:
Pah! ONT sucks anyways. I only flew into there once, after my long delayed flight from SEA was diverted because SNA had closed for the night already, and that was enough!
Mike, please don't bad-mouth our lovely little regional airport that is only 20 min from my house :). It never takes me more than 10 min to go through security, the walk to the gate is short, the checked baggage usually comes out real fast, etc. It has spacious runways that can handle 747s when LA gets socked-in.

tbleakne said:
Kataphn said:
Here is the link about EV parking at this airport. Not free :cry: And not clear if stations have been updated to J1772. Maybe someone out that way can check it out? http://www.lawa.org/welcome_ONT.aspx?id=108
I am leaving now (3PM) to check this out. I guess I will have to pay fee just to get in and out of the lot.

Photos, man, photos!

mwalsh said:
tbleakne said:
Kataphn said:
I am leaving now (3PM) to check this out. I guess I will have to pay fee just to get in and out of the lot.

Photos, man, photos!

Back from ONT. Sorry to say the news is not good. I hope the photos meet Mike's standards. No J1772, and both stations appeared dead to me . The right station, with the paddle, had nothing on the display, and the left station had no "ready" light.

There are 3 or 4 parking positions clearly labeled EV-only. They are at the front of the lot, but still a fair walk from the terminal. There is a second lot for the other airport terminal which according to the web site has the same setup. I did not check it out, as I would have had to pay another $3 for 1 hour minimum.

I got a phone number for "ONT Operations Center, Parking Services" from the parking attendant. He wrote down my VIN#, like they do at LAX, but he still charged me. When I called the number, inquiring about "availability of EV parking, " they gave me another number, 909.544.5344, which proved to be the main Operations Center for ONT. This time I got a polite lady named Anita. She said no one had ever asked her about EV charging. I explained to her that the terminals I had found appeared dead, and that they needed to be upgraded to J1772 for modern EVs such as the Leaf and the Volt. I mentioned the LAX situation. She took all this down and promised to pass it to her supervisor and presumably above him. I gave her my name and number in case someone wished to call me back.

I feel to make progress on public charging availability, we are going to have to do more of this, locating and directly engaging responsible persons for the targeted location.

IMG9215L.jpg
IMG9216-L.jpg

We appreciate your efforts, Tom! I use ONT on a regular basis, and have been very pleased with this airport. Given that Ontario is run by Los Angeles World Airports, the same entity that is in charge of LAX, perhaps there is hope of one day gaining the generous treatment that EV drivers receive at LAX.

tbleakne Back from ONT. Sorry to say the news is not good. I hope the photos meet Mike's standards. No J1772 said:
Not that it matters to us, since they aren't compatible, but the Avcon chargers often look dead, even when they have power. I guess it's to save power when they're not being used. I've pressed the red button on a couple of them that looked dead, and they turned on. Actually, those two chargers are in better shape than any of the ones I've seen.

tbleakne said:
Back from ONT. Sorry to say the news is not good. I hope the photos meet Mike's standards. No J1772, and both stations appeared dead to me . The right station, with the paddle, had nothing on the display, and the left station had no "ready" light.

Not that it matters to us, since they aren't compatible, but the Avcon chargers often look dead, even when they have power. I guess it's to save power when they're not being used. I've pressed the red button on a couple of them that looked dead, and they turned on. Actually, those two chargers are in better shape than any of the ones I've seen.

lincomatic said:
tbleakne said:

This is normal. No Lights till you connect the pilot signal, unless there is a prior error logged.

I feel to make progress on public charging availability, we are going to have to do more of this, locating and directly engaging responsible persons for the targeted location.

I agree.. In fact, now might be the perfect time to engage with SNA since they are putting finishing touches on Terminal C.. Who is interested?

The one with the paddle (and the LCD display): you need to pull the paddle out of its holster to wake it up.

The one with the red stop button (Avcon): pushing the button might start the voice response.

The good news is ... the Avcon is a strong candidate for inclusion in the state-wide upgrade to J1772 program (whether in current working condition or not). So check back once every 1-2 months.

xtremeflyer said:

I agree.. In fact, now might be the perfect time to engage with SNA since they are putting finishing touches on Terminal C.. Who is interested?

I am in contact with the Director of Airport Operations for ONT on expanding services. I don't have a contact for SNA yet but I'd be glad to be part of an envoy/phone calling/letter writing campaign.

I contacted SNA and got the following response:

"Thank you for contacting John Wayne Airport regarding electric vehicle parking. Currently we have no electric vehicle parking or charging stations. Although, John Wayne Airport is looking in to the possibility of having this implemented in our new Parking Structure C upon completion.

I am sorry if this has caused you any inconvenience at this time. If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask."

So, if you want your voice to be heard.. [email protected]

This is an old, cold thread, but it came up at the top of my google search on the topic.

There are now 3 clipper creek single car chargers in the parking lot outside terminal 2, near the south west corner of the parking lot. Right next to the handicapped spaces. A total of 3 spaces are reserved for the 3 chargers, one of them is a handicapped space. I was unable to park there during my flight because the two general EV spaces were used and the handicapped EV space was empty, but because of the proximity to the building, every other parking space within range was full.

I ended up sitting in my car for 30 minutes after I came home charging so I could get home.

The charging was complimentary as long as I was paying $18/day for parking.

I was pleasantly surprised at Long Beach Airport (LGB) when I was not charged for parking at the short term lot. The attendant said you can park as long as you'd like and there's no charge for EV's and across the road at the long term parking structure they have Blink chargers ($1-$2/hr).

Back