CA DMV Certificate of Title - What is the correct FUEL type?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squirrelmeat

Just noticed that the key/letter for fuel on my title is 'G' which is for gas.
My searches found 'Q' for hybrid but have not found what the correct letter is for electric (OK, I'd guess 'E" but this is the CA DMV we're talking about)(the DMV seems to call this motive power. I also searched for that).

In any case there appears to be a visit to the local DMV in my future. Either that or wait for the required smog check and see what happens.

Well I can tell you my California validated registration card for the Leaf has the letter "E" under the "MP" column. I am going to assume that means electric for motive power. Seems to me someone at the dealer filled out your registration wrong so I see a trip to the DMV in your future.

From http://www.autorepair.ca.gov/80_BARResources/02_SmogCheck/Frequently_Asked_Questions_Part_1.html
Question: I have a hybrid vehicle and my DMV renewal notice indicates that a smog inspection is required.

Answer: Hybrid vehicles are currently exempt from the smog check program. If you own a hybrid vehicle and your DMV renewal notice indicates that a smog inspection is required, it is most likely because the DMV record has the wrong motive power. To have the motive power on your DMV record corrected, take your vehicle to your local DMV Field Office.

Per CA DMV New Vehicle Dealer Registration Instructions:

Section 6.010
Application for Registration of New Vehicle (REG 397)

Motive Power
Enter the motive power for all vehicles. The fuel types are: G–Gasoline D–Diesel E–Electric M–Methanol N–Natural Gas P–Propane
Q–Hybrid
For all trailers, use motive power code “0” (zero)

I currently own a Honda Civic GX and have helped a couple of friends purchase them over the years. I can assure you from first hand experience that it is a error dealers make all too often. Since 95% (just a guesstimate) of their transactions are gas vehicles, they tend to populate that field out of habit. On one occasion I had to argue with the finance guy at a certain Honda dealership because the GX was coded on the temporary as Q for Hybrid. A conversation with the dealerships business office person that actually inputs the information to DMV assured me that it would be inputted as "N" for Natural Gas. Without the proper motive power code your application for HOV stickers will be rejected. Worse yet it will take visit to the CHP to have the vehicle re-verified, and title corrected. Once that happens you can start the HOV application process. A simple mistake but can take months to correct, given the pace that the DMV operates with the state budget cutbacks.

Thanks for the replies.

I'm going to try my dealer tomorrow to see if they can correct their error (I dug out the original dealer form and the error starts there). Otherwise it looks like its the DMV field office as others have posted.

At least the CA CVRP accepted my paperwork (check already cashed).

Ran my title over to the dealer this past Sunday of course they couldn't do anything then but took my title and gave me the name of the person that would eal with it.
Monday it was hand carried, by them, to a DMV office.
Now to wait on the DMV.

I wonder if I'll get a notice that my HOV sticker request was rejected or if the correction will be made before those fulfilling the request get around to it.

Thanks to you, squirrelmeat, I knew about this issue ahead of time and caught the same error when we went to pick up our LEAF. Made them change it on the spot. THANK YOU! :D

squirrelmeat said:
Just noticed that the key/letter for fuel on my title is 'G' which is for gas.
My searches found 'Q' for hybrid but have not found what the correct letter is for electric (OK, I'd guess 'E" but this is the CA DMV we're talking about)(the DMV seems to call this motive power. I also searched for that).

In any case there appears to be a visit to the local DMV in my future. Either that or wait for the required smog check and see what happens.
It's been nice my last two cars have had "E" for motive power. No smog checks! No smog! Yeah! Everyone else who has a LEAF will E for MP, but I'm sure when yours is corrected squirrelmeat, it will read "S".

For Squirrel power!

And yes, I was watching your LEAF today... no one touched it! At least I can gaze upon one whilst I wait for mine.

squirrelmeat said:
... Either that or wait for the required smog check and see what happens.
Be careful. Might fail the smog check because they can't find the tailpipe, and assume it must be illegally concealed.... ;)

808pv said:
squirrelmeat said:
... Either that or wait for the required smog check and see what happens.
Be careful. Might fail the smog check because they can't find the tailpipe, and assume it must be illegally concealed.... ;)
After 'fixing' my registration I'm now due for a smog check 4/8/2017

$18 and the DMV effectively did nothing

OilFreedom said:
If you've got the time to kill, maybe you should go to the smog check... Just to see the look on the technician's face! ;)
I would like to receive the perk of the HOV lane stickers if for no other reason then to annoy those Prius drivers that are losing their access.

I have thought of taking the car to JiffyLube to see what happens.

Got a update to this saga

It took the dealer two trips to the DMV but the third registration card I got had a motive power of E and the Clean Air Vehicle stickers were included.

Then about 2 months ago some group called "Business Partners Automation Program" got involved. They noticed a error on my registration, not having to do with MP, and wanted my title back to fix it. Unfortunately, in fixing that they changed the MP back to G (#4). Some additional phone calls, gripping on twitter, and I got a call from a helpful person that attempted to intervene on my behalf. Last Tuesday she called to say the BPAP was fixing the error and I'll be getting a corrected title and registration. Both which arrived Saturday with the MP as, you guessed it, G (this is #5).

This morning I went to the Los Gatos DMV. They looked at the car and agreed it was, in fact, an electric. When they went to correct the information the computer refused to accept the change! Seems there is some programming error and the form entry code will not accept E for the VIN provided. They need to fix their software before they can change my MP! I hope to hear back sometime tomorrow that they did finally make the change. This will be attempt #6.

Moral - Make sure the dealer has the correct MP. Else you will end up bashing yourself against that stonewall known as the CA DMV.

Another interesting fact. CA DMV is on twitter, @CA_DMV, and they have people watching the timeline. Someone may take pity on you and get in touch in an attempt to help. While they may be able to call and talk to the people responsible they don't always have any better luck then we would.

Carl

UPDATE: Soon after posting this I got a callback from the Los Gatos DMV. The form entry bug has been fixed and my record updated. I'll know for sure when I see the new registration and title. Besides the MP they also changed the body type from sedan to 4dr hatchback.

Back