stjohnh
Delivery Date: 10 Jun 2013
Leaf Number: 409675

Re: actual selling prices for used 2013 Leafs in SF Bay Area?

Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:00 am

Well, I live in the Bay Area and have bought several used cars on Craig's List. If you change the search criteria to include only owner sale cars (no dealers) and go to the middle of the pack of cars left, you see prices about $7k. That is probably pretty close to what actual sales prices are, maybe a tad lower. Note that at least in the Bay Area there are quite a few amateur dealers that sell cars but list them as if they are individual car owners. I would be sure to take a LeafSpy dongle with me when looking at used Leafs (actually any used car).

In California, to register a used ICE car to a new owner requires a smog check. If the check engine light is on, the car is nearly impossible to sell, and it is well known that anyone can temporarily clear the check engine light by disconnecting the battery for a while. The DTC code reader (LeafSpy dongle) will tell me if there are "pending" DTC codes, which means the car will likely fail a smog check.
Blessings,
Holland

2 LEAFS, bought 1 week apart. 2013 S for me, 2013 SV is wife's. Both manufactured May 2013. I lost first bar at 36,000. Wife still has all bars at 50,000.

SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:12 am

stjohnh wrote:Well, I live in the Bay Area and have bought several used cars on Craig's List. If you change the search criteria to include only owner sale cars (no dealers) and go to the middle of the pack of cars left, you see prices about $7k. That is probably pretty close to what actual sales prices are, maybe a tad lower. Note that at least in the Bay Area there are quite a few amateur dealers that sell cars but list them as if they are individual car owners. I would be sure to take a LeafSpy dongle with me when looking at used Leafs (actually any used car).

In California, to register a used ICE car to a new owner requires a smog check. If the check engine light is on, the car is nearly impossible to sell, and it is well known that anyone can temporarily clear the check engine light by disconnecting the battery for a while. The DTC code reader (LeafSpy dongle) will tell me if there are "pending" DTC codes, which means the car will likely fail a smog check.

Does CA require a smog check for an EV ?
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado
03/2018: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
11/2018: 56.16 Ahr, 30k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:38 am

SageBrush wrote:Does CA require a smog check for an EV ?

No.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy ... vr/smogfaq

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:54 am

cwerdna wrote:Someone at work pointed this out and kinda puts a damper on my expectations: https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... RTSEMLSRCH.

It's a Bay Area '13 SL w/premium package for $5,983! It looks like it resided in the Bay Area the whole time but they took clear pics of the wrong things. It looks like it's a 10 bar car from the blurry pics but it was built 9/2013 so I guess the previous drivers didn't take great care of the battery. It's at a Mercedes dealer so perhaps that explains the pics of the wrong things.

The link is dead as the car's no longer available. I can only assume it's been sold as https://www.autobahnmotors.com/used-car ... or-model-4 no longer has any '13 Leafs in their inventory.

The '11 Leaf for $5,791 (https://www.autobahnmotors.com/used/Nis ... 66f91e.htm) is hilarious. As I posted in the '11-12 capacity loss thread, it's apparently an 8 bar loser! Only 4 capacity bars remain. This is the worst I've ever seen a pic of for a car in the US. The worst I recall seeing a pic of was a 9 bar loser in Sri Lanka.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Return to “Pacific USA”