Lee Vining's Pioneer Pavilion Small Step for a Big Idea--Solar EV Charging at the Eastern Gateway to Yosemite

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulgipe

Community activists have raised a solar pavilion in the small town of Lee Vining that they plan to use for charging electric vehicles (EVs). Dubbed the Pioneer Pavilion, the project is part of an ambitious effort by a local Climate Action Group to make the town on the east side of the Sierra Nevada more "climate friendly."

Lee Vining is the eastern gateway to Yosemite National Park and Toulumne Meadows at the head of the dramatic Tioga Pass Road.

The pavilion in Lee Vining's Hess Park will feed electricity from the solar panels to the nearby Mono County Historical Societybuilding. The pavilion, the Historical Society, and popular tourist attraction of the Upside Down House are all within easy walking distance of the shops and restaurants in Lee Vining.

Led by retired park ranger Janet Carle, the community group plans to eventually offer public WiFi in the pavilion and a J1772 Level 2 charge station at the parking lot.

There are no public non-Tesla EV charging stations on US 395 from Mojave, California to Gardnerville, Nevada a distance of more than 300 miles.

Carle, and other volunteers in the community, have worked the past three years to bring the $80,000 project to life. The effort began, says Carle, when the regional planning commission suggested that the climate activists do something concrete to show the community what can be done. From there, the idea just took off. Carle says the community's endorsement and support of the project is "like a fairy tale." It was the year of people saying "yes" rather than "no."

Don Condon of the Eastern Sierra Chapter of the Electric Vehicle Association characterized the project as an "old-fashioned barn raising" where everyone pitched in with what they could.

That included solar contractor[urlhttp://sierra-solar.com/] Sierra Solar[/url] who donated their time on the project, as did other vendors, including a local mason.

The pavilion uses translucent solar panels that provide a pleasing dappled light beneath the canopy says Carle. While the size of the solar pavilion is small in a state the size of California where many solar projects are gargantuan, completing the project was no small feat in a town of only 400 people.

Sierra Solar installed Lumos architectural solar panels made in San Jose, California. The panels lack a backing so the sun partially shines through. The panels are designed for use in car ports, pavilions, picnic areas, walkways, and EV charging spaces where the see-through panels make a statement about the use of solar energy while also providing shade.

This was an effect that the community group desired. They wanted people to know that they were beneath solar panels and not just roofing material. Carle envisions integrating the solar pavilion with the local schools as an outdoor classroom. The space is designed to hold 80 people.

In a textbook example of community participation, the project gained momentum when organizers solicited locally-made tiles painted by people in the community. The project's FaceBook page shows a busy community hall as residents painted their tiles for use in the pavilion. Also popular was the decision to feature nine pioneer families of the Mono Basin in the pavilion. Story boards describe the families' role in settling the area.

The "stars aligned" says Carle and the pavilion was connected to the grid 18 October 2018.

How in the world did that cost $80k ? I remember reading blurbs on the website that collections of $28k was almost at goal.
We solar barn raise for a little over $1 a watt

No EV chargers yet. I wrote them on Facebook and they said they might install one later this winter.

So I wouldn't really call it a Solar EV charging project just yet.

I specifically asked about charging and he said not now, maybe later this winter. So if they were offering Level 1 or 120 volts, I think he would have mentioned it. It seems like the parking area is not that close to the pavilion.

Randy said:
I specifically asked about charging and he said not now, maybe later this winter. So if they were offering Level 1 or 120 volts, I think he would have mentioned it. It seems like the parking area is not that close to the pavilion.

So... they now have "solar EV charging" but without the "EV" or "charging" parts...?

Well, I didn't write or post the article. It is incorrect, for now, although it does say "eventually". I was trying to point out that there is no charging now, in case a driver went there.

Did some more searching around, and on one of the Facebook photos it does show the parking lot. I couldn't see it in other photos, but it turns out to be pretty close to the pavilion, for whatever that is worth. The charging station would probably be wired from the closest panel anyways, maybe from the adjacent building.

https://www.facebook.com/MonoCountyEconomicDevelopment/photos/pcb.1182376961912976/1182376861912986/?type=3&theater

As noted by Paul, EV charging is a future desire. You can watch the video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xy07NzWOUd0, or look at google maps satellite view and see the relative location of the pavilion to the parking area, sandbox/playarea, the bathroom and the Historical Society building - the pavilion is just south of the sandbox (the large gray square), between it and the bathroom (the small building with an angled path leading to it): https://www.google.com/maps/place/G...b471b799f633b!8m2!3d37.9596169!4d-119.1196255

Randy said:
Did some more searching around, and on one of the Facebook photos it does show the parking lot. I couldn't see it in other photos, but it turns out to be pretty close to the pavilion, for whatever that is worth. The charging station would probably be wired from the closest panel anyways, maybe from the adjacent building.

https://www.facebook.com/MonoCountyEconomicDevelopment/photos/pcb.1182376961912976/1182376861912986/?type=3&theater

The conduit is in the ground. They need to pull wire, install the post and the EVSE. The holdup is money and some changes in ADA in California that has boogered up permitting. Seems like Electrify America has run into this as well. See Guy's report on EA.

You can donate to the project by sending a check to the Chamber of Commerce. If someone has a used ClipperCreek they want to donate I am sure they would take it. ;)

Paul

Randy said:
Well, I didn't write or post the article. It is incorrect, for now, although it does say "eventually". I was trying to point out that there is no charging now, in case a driver went there.

It's not on PlugShare and I won't put it up until it's installed. There's no point in putting up a "coming soon" since we have no idea how soon is soon.

Paul

Dedication for the station is 13 June 2019.

I just checked on the rumored station in Bishop. CalTrans District 9 L2 station is for CalTrans use only. So, it's a long stretch from Mojave to Lee Vining. ;(

Paul

paulgipe said:

I just checked on the rumored station in Bishop. CalTrans District 9 L2 station is for CalTrans use only. So, it's a long stretch from Mojave to Lee Vining. ;(

Paul
Thanks, Paul. Any details (Single? Multiple?), or any news on the CEC sites on the west side on the way to Yosemite? Course, while the L2 in Lee Vining is much better than nothing, what we really need are a couple of QCs there.

GRA said:
paulgipe said:

Paul
Thanks, Paul. Any details (Single? Multiple?), or any news on the CEC sites on the west side on the way to Yosemite? Course, while the L2 in Lee Vining is much better than nothing, what we really need are a couple of QCs there.

Guy,

You have to read between the lines to sense my frustration and fury with pace of these developments. I took this up with the CEC when I first began driving electric five years ago! The only result was the east-west corridors RFP and they're still nothing east of Bakersfield!

I'll check with Lee Vining, but I am pretty sure it's one J1772 but I could be just a bit too cynical. ;)

Paul

paulgipe said:
You have to read between the lines to sense my frustration and fury with pace of these developments. I took this up with the CEC when I first began driving electric five years ago! The only result was the east-west corridors RFP and they're still nothing east of Bakersfield!

Paul,

You and I live on opposite coasts, but I share your frustration. I have been pushing the NY Thruway Authority to install chargers at their service plazas since I bought my Leaf back in 2012. What do we have to show for it? A handful of chargers (all inconveniently clustered together, between NYC and Albany). Oh, and an RFP was issued in fall of 2018.

In a way, it's a good thing VW cheated (and got caught!). Without Electrify America, there would be almost no progress in most of the country!

paulgipe said:
Guy, the CC will have two charge cables shared between them.

Paul
Thanks, Paul. Sounds like it might be a Chargepoint CPF 25/CT40 or similar. Please keep us updated with any additional details you learn and how they're funding it, especially if there's a GoFundMe or similar account.

I think most of us here share your frustration, but we've been through this before - how long did you have to wait for wind to become mainstream, or me for PV? At least 25 years in my case. BEVs (and their related infrastructure) aren't there yet, but we know it will happen in the not too far off future. There's a lot less of my remaining life available to wait now compared to when I got into AE, but I fully expect to be here when it does arrive. OTOH, I may or may not still be around when we go to and/or start to colonize Mars, but I won't be surprised if Elon is.

A long overdue update on this, but I first used this site in Oct. 2020, as my fallback in case I couldn't use the EA DCFCs in Bridgeport, as proved to be the case. I've used it subsequently four or five times, usually to provide some extra cushion rather than because I've needed it to get home. There are two shared Clipper Creek HCS-40s; one car gets 7.3-7.5kW, and two each get half that. It's posted to limit your charging to 3 hours, but that's typically ignored, by me as well as others. No activation required, just plug in.

So far I've seen the following car models use it: Model3/Y/S; Polestar 2; Bolt; Prius Prime; Volt 2, and maybe a Mach-E, I forget. I've also charged an Ioniq 5 and EV6 there. There's not very strong Wi-Fi from the Mono Basin museum adjacent to the park, so that's one thing you can do while you wait, or you can walk a couple of blocks downtown (or even a mile to the deli) to eat while you charge. There's also free WiFi at the Mono Lake Committee visitor center (password "keepsavingmonolake") and at the library catty-corner from the chargers on the other side of the park. There are picnic tables with lights under the solar canopy (which has a fixed wall on one side and a sliding wall on another plus two open sides), and lighted bathrooms with hot and cold water open 24/7, plus grass to sit/lie on, and a kids play area plus the Mono Basin museum, Upside-down House, and a bunch of old farm machinery/tractors etc. on display.

GRA said:
A long overdue update on this, but I first used this site in Oct. 2020, as my fallback in case I couldn't use the EA DCFCs in Bridgeport, as proved to be the case. I've used it subsequently four or five times, usually to provide some extra cushion rather than because I've needed it to get home. There are two shared Clipper Creek HCS-40s; one car gets 7.3-7.5kW, and two each get half that. It's posted to limit your charging to 3 hours, but that's typically ignored, by me as well as others. No activation required, just plug in.

So far I've seen the following car models use it: Model3/Y/S; Polestar 2; Bolt; Prius Prime; Volt 2, and maybe a Mach-E, I forget. I've also charged an Ioniq 5 and EV6 there. There's not very strong Wi-Fi from the Mono Basin museum adjacent to the park, so that's one thing you can do while you wait, or you can walk a couple of blocks downtown (or even a mile to the deli) to eat while you charge. There's also free WiFi at the Mono Lake Committee visitor center (password "keepsavingmonolake") and at the library catty-corner from the chargers on the other side of the park. There are picnic tables with lights under the solar canopy (which has a fixed wall on one side and a sliding wall on another plus two open sides), and lighted bathrooms with hot and cold water open 24/7, plus grass to sit/lie on, and a kids play area plus the Mono Basin museum, Upside-down House, and a bunch of old farm machinery/tractors etc. on display.

Guy,
I love this site. I used it several times on a week-long stay in Lee Vining. Easy walk to our motel. The ClipperCreek will give 7 kW on both sides with two cars charging. I met Janet Carle while there and it was the electricians idea to put in the capacity to charge both cars at rated and they went with it. I am glad they did.

Yes, they don't enforce the 3-hour limit. I forgot once and left the car overnight. My bad. But no ticket nor tow.

FYI. June Lake tried to replicate this but ran into a bureaucratic snafu with the Forest Service. The required contract with the USFS would take several years to process and the superintendent wasn't favorable. That person has been replaced but the locals have lost interest.

Paul

Back