San Francisco Recycling Yards

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

palmermd

I'm in need of a few spare parts for a 2011 Leaf. I've driven to all the local recycling yards in the Sacramento area (recycle road in Rancho Cordova). None of them carry Leaf parts and do not do any of the tear-down of them. They suggest looking in the Bay Area, but could not give me any specific yards to contact. Before just starting to make some cold calls to these places, I thought I'd post here and see if anyone knows of any recycle yards that know (an important word) the LEAF. Even a "pick and pull" yard would be great if they are known to carry LEAF. It's pretty frustrating to talk with these folks on the phone since they generally have no idea about electric cars and their parts. It was much better when I visited in person, but that is much harder to do in the Bay Area which is why I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

You might check this site to get some hints on what yards nearby might have some Leafs:
http://www.car-part.com/

I also check ebay and craigslist to see if anyone is selling any Leaf parts nearby. I figure if they have any Leaf parts they may have others.

Rob

The link you provided is exactly the problem that I'm having. Every one of these recycling yards has the same database which is designed around the ICE vehicle industry. Its great for looking up parts on an ICE, but does not work for an EV, and they guys working there have no idea what your talking about unless its listed in this parts database. This is why I'm looking for a yard that specializes in Leaf recycling, and I'm sure there must be one somewhere, I've not found it. If you ask these guys for a Leaf on-board battery charger they just get really confused.

I've looked on eBay and other places for folks selling Leaf parts, and most were dead ends. The few I found who are Leaf recyclers seem to shy away from the 2011/2012 units which is what I need. The parts I need are specific to the 11/12 so its been a challenge.

I'll keep looking. Thanks for the help.

I actually used the link and did a search for a headlight assembly since it is something in the database that is a part unique to Leaf. Interestingly they list a different part pre March2011 versus April2011 and on. I don't need a headlight, but it was interesting. Mine was delivered in March so I guess it is the early headlight. I wonder what changed? Lot more parts for the later model, but I did find a car local to me (somewhat) up in Roseville (40 minute drive from here). I'll give that one a try later this week.

I came across these guys, unlike most others they seem to have a well designed/organized web-site, and they do have a Leaf in their inventory:

http://saccityautoparts.com/cars/Nissan/LEAF

Cool. Yeah, I hear you on the difficulties of using the normal search engines. I think you're getting to the right strategy though. I usually just search a variety of common items, such as doors, suspension parts, etc to get an idea of who might have other Leaf parts. Trying different items is good as various cars may have different parts damaged or just not entered into inventory.

One tip I did find on the car-part database is there is an entry called "Hybrid Converter/Inverter" that seems to get used as a catchall for many EV components. For example when you search this on a 2011 Leaf, it gives the following options:

charger (behind rear seat), from 4/11 thru 6/11
charger (behind rear seat), from 7/11
charger (behind rear seat), thru 3/11
charging port (above front bumper), SL, 1 port (w/o quick charge option); cold climate package, from 5/11
charging port (above front bumper), SL, 1 port (w/o quick charge option); cold climate package, thru 4/11
charging port (above front bumper), SL, 1 port (w/o quick charge option); w/o cold climate package; from 5/11
charging port (above front bumper), SL, 1 port (w/o quick charge option); w/o cold climate package; thru 4/11
charging port (above front bumper), SL, 2 port (quick charge option), cold climate package, from 5/11
charging port (above front bumper), SL, 2 port (quick charge option), cold climate package, thru 4/11
charging port (above front bumper), SL, 2 port (quick charge option), w/o cold climate package; from 5/11
charging port (above front bumper), SL, 2 port (quick charge option), w/o cold climate package; thru 4/11
charging port (above front bumper), SV, cold climate package, from 5/11
charging port (above front bumper), SV, cold climate package, thru 4/11
charging port (above front bumper), SV, w/o cold climate package; from 5/11
charging port (above front bumper), SV, w/o cold climate package; thru 4/11
charging cable (120V portable type)
inverter (engine compartment)
junction box (DC to DC), quick charge option
junction box (DC to DC), w/o quick charge option

Other items that turn up EV related parts: battery, computer box engine, computer box not engine, electrical part misc and wiring, engine, power inverter (hybrid), transmission computer, wiring harness/misc. electronics.

Good luck,
Rob

Valdemar said:
I came across these guys, unlike most others they seem to have a well designed/organized web-site, and they do have a Leaf in their inventory:

http://saccityautoparts.com/cars/Nissan/LEAF
Yep, I was at Sac City recently and they have sold some suspension parts but the car looked pretty complete otherwise.
It was their first Leaf, so you may need to point out unique parts to them but they are cool to work with.
Cor.

I am looking for driver (left) side fender that fits a 2011 Leaf, preferably already silver.

I was able to purchase all the other parts I needed except one. It turns out that there is some sort of policy among the tow truck drivers in Northern California that before they tow any EV that has been in an accident they are required to cut the power cable. This is the exact cable that I am looking to replace. So the tow yards cut these cables so none are available at the recycling yards.

After that I decided to just bite the bullet so to speak and pay the ridiculous retail price from a Nissan dealer. I've attempted to purchase at several (3) the online retail sites and every one rejects the purchase stating that the part is either not being produced any longer or is on back-order without any date for availability. This means that if you try and revive one of these cars you won't be able to do so because you cant get the power cable anywhere.

I'm at a loss at this point. Does anyone have any ideas? Anyone parting a 2011/2012?

palmermd said:
I was able to purchase all the other parts I needed except one. It turns out that there is some sort of policy among the tow truck drivers in Northern California that before they tow any EV that has been in an accident they are required to cut the power cable. This is the exact cable that I am looking to replace. So the tow yards cut these cables so none are available at the recycling yards. ...
That simply sounds idiotic. There's a safety plug they can remove to disconnect the battery form the rest of the car. Also if there were a problem, cutting into a possibly live high-voltage cable is the last thing you'd want to do.

I thought it was dumb as well but every car in all the recycling yards around here had the cable cut. Hopefully somebody knows of an area without this policy and I can purchase a cable.

palmermd said:
I thought it was dumb as well but every car in all the recycling yards around here had the cable cut. Hopefully somebody knows of an area without this policy and I can purchase a cable.
Would it be possible to replace the two wires in your cut cable with welding cable or similar?
After all, it is within a protective sheating that you likely also will need to replace and it be protected from direct impact by the belly pan
as well as being surrounded by sheet steel on all sides except below.

Cor said:
palmermd said:
Would it be possible to replace the two wires in your cut cable with welding cable or similar?
After all, it is within a protective sheating that you likely also will need to replace and it be protected from direct impact by the belly pan

We'll its not the wire that is hard, it is the cable ends. And I don't want to fabricate my own cable by splicing the center section.

palmermd said:
Cor said:
palmermd said:

We'll its not the wire that is hard, it is the cable ends. And I don't want to fabricate my own cable by splicing the center section.
Did you try calling SacCity where I picked up my pack? I have not seen the cable as the belly pan was still on it when they asked me to point out where the battery was located, so I presume that the cable was still OK. Hope they have not yet gotten rid of it, they had it a week when I went there 2 months ago. It was their first Leaf.

palmermd said:
I'm at a loss at this point. Does anyone have any ideas? Anyone parting a 2011/2012?
Earlier this week I removed the inverter, motor, junction box and the HV Battery wire from a junk 2011.
Are you still looking for the orange HV cable from battery to the junction box? I have one, undamaged.
Hope this finds you in time.
Cor.

Back