365 miles

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

finman100

Yes that is one day driving my Leaf! Up and over two 4,000’ passes here in Oregon! It can be done. 11 hours and 6 Quick Charges. Not for the normal, but what fun, nonetheless.

The short version: charge to at least 95% at Detroit, OR (where a Tesla Supercharger is, coincidently) when going east to Sisters, OR. Charge to at least 95% at Warm Springs, OR when headed northwest to Government Camp, OR. The rest of the trip is pretty level.

The long version: Left Albany, OR at 10 AM or so with happy puppy in the back. Wish I had a picture. She is cute or so people tell us. Anyway, I had the day off and wanted to head to Madras, OR where my wife had seen a petfinder ad for adopting a ‘playmate’ for our puppy, Agate. 165 miles one way and Madras has an Aerovironment QC. How convenient! Well, the entire route there and back is Aerovironment QC country. I am a 20 bucks a month unlimited customer and so far, that has worked for me.

Oh, I did an EVTripPlanner.com plan before setting out and the Leaf version (beta) was VERY helpful. Really allowed me to know what kind of kWh to charge to get over the passes. Highly recommend it.

Temp was 45-50 F the entire trip. Saw the sun once. Rained off and on, soft, then hard, then just cloudy. Always had a wet road. Wind was not a factor for the most part. I run 44 PSI and I have a LeafStat app on my iphone to track battery things and Gids. I did not note any Gid readings during the trip, sorry. What I know of Gids is a full charge gets me 283 Gids, and 30 Gids or less is where I start to sweat it. Also, ALL the roads on the trip are 55MPH and I was around 60MPH most of the day. The very end coming south on I-5 it is 65MPH and I am a right laner at the speed limit on interstates.

Okay enough of the boring intro.

Albany, OR (elev 200’) to Detroit (elev 1500’), OR is 60 miles via Hwy 226, then Hwy 22. No problem. No drama. No passes to climb!

Detroit, OR (elev 1500’) to Sisters, OR (elevation 3100’) is 58 miles via Hwy 22, then Hwy 20. I charged to 98% in Detroit, right next to the Tesla Supercharger. Pretty cool. I switched from the QC to the 30 Amp plug at 85% in order to get more. Battery temp rose from 56 F to 75 F. Santiam pass is 4800’ or so at the top before the downhill. Evtripplanner.com said I would need 17 kWh to get to Sisters. I had 21 kWh and made it with 20% left. I think at one point before the downhill I was at 10%. It takes a lot of electrons to climb! But it is REALLY nice getting some charge back, too, on the downhill. I had 4 kWh left (evtripplanner.com was right on). FYI, evtripplanner.com said it would take 12 kWh to go the other way, Sisters to Detroit.

Sisters to Redmond to Madras to Warm Springs (all pretty much the same elevation, no BIG passes) is 61 miles. No problem. I charged to 90% in Sisters. Battery temp rose to 90 F. I could have charged in Redmond or Madras, but after the unsuccessful puppy visit in Madras, I had plenty to get to Warm Springs, OR. Yes, the search continues to find our puppy a non-feline roommate. (the cats just don’t play like puppy wants them too). To vary the trip I did NOT return the same way, choosing instead to continue north then back west thru Mt. Hood. I mean up and over Mt. Hood!

Warm Springs, OR (elev 1500’) to Government Camp, OR (elev 4400’) is 50 miles. To make it to WeIches, OR is an additional 10 miles (on the downhill side). I charged to 85% at Warm Springs. Battery temp is now 99 F. Evtripplanner.com said I needed a bit over 16 kWh to make it to Government Camp, a bit over 17 kWh to make it to Welches. I had 18ish kWh and I needed all of it! Got to Government camp with 3% left (less than 1 kWh). This was all uphill. Downhill doesn’t start until AFTER Government Camp. I was really hoping to get to the downhill to make it to Welches, OR but did not push it.

Government Camp, OR to Sandy OR is only 30 miles, but by stopping in Sandy, it’s only one more QC in Woodburn on I-5 south to get back to Albany. I only charged enough at Government Camp to get to Sandy, OR. I think I was here but 10 minutes for a 40% charge since it’s all downhill or level to Sandy. Battery temp is now 105 F.

Sandy, OR to Woodburn, OR is 50 miles. No problem. No drama. The passes are behind me! I charged to 90% here in Sandy. Since it is not an Aerovironment machine, it cost me $6 for a Blink QC (49 cents per kWh for me as I do have a Blink card, but don’t use it much). Battery temp is now 101 F.

Woodburn, OR to Albany, OR is 42 miles. No problem. No drama. Home around 9 PM. Whew, that was a day! Last QC! I charged to 60% here in Woodburn. Battery temp is back down to 99 F.

365 miles is what the trip meter said. I averaged about 3.8 miles per kWh, which is 96 kWh used.

Would I do it again? Yes, but I want to go the other way next time in summer weather…or at least a nicer day than rain and more rain. The views are much better with a blue sky.

Other random observations: battery temps went down by 5 F after I started driving. Battery temp went up after each QC. Not a single other electric car on this entire trip. Snow is non-existent at Mt. Hood Skibowl (Government Camp area). I need a Tesla.

Love my Leaf!

Curt

I wish your puppy well, or Maltese girl puppy (now 13 years old)
really misses her lifelong companion, who died last November.

Very nice account of your trip, thanks.
At our EV Gathering this coming Saturday, I will tell other
LEAFers that http://www.EvTripPlanner.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is now useful for LEAFs.
Yes, sunshine and blue sky would add another dimension.

We made the Tesla S upgrade just before Christmas.
Tesla gives $1 per mile discount when buying a demo or loaner
vehicle, and you do not need to wait months for production.

Cheers, Gary

On June 19, 2012, I drove about 370 miles from California to Washington state (Oregon southern border to Oregon northern border). I started in Ashland, Oregon, and first drove south to the California border, then north.

12 hours exactly.

2012 Nissan LEAF.

370, 365... All that way, only to have "missed it by that much!", LOL.

TonyWilliams said:
On June 19, 2012, I drove about 370 miles from California to Washington state (Oregon southern border to Oregon northern border). I started in Ashland, Oregon, and first drove south to the California border, then north.

12 hours exactly.

2012 Nissan LEAF.

Hey Curt, just ran across your story now since I haven't visited the forum much lately. Yes, I can verify Agate is very cute and very sweet! Wow, what a trip. I'm interested to see what the Tesla Certified Used program brings...figure one LEAF and one Tesla would do everything we need but so far, two LEAFs has been okay.

See you around the charging stations maybe.

Debbie and Patrick

Back