QC Stations along 101 between Thousand Oaks / The Valley

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lorenfb

Valdemar said:
^^^ I know of at least 3 working (sometimes) ABB units at eVgo locations, more are in the process of being added.

I often travel to Thousand Oaks from the LAX area via the 101. I rely on the Blink QC in Newbury Park
to QC for a no-stop return trip. Given the mention about Blink's unreliable service, the only QC before
exiting the valley back to the LAX area is the Nissan dealer in Van Nuys. If that's not available and
Blink is down, I've got a real problem. Then it's up to finding a slow L2.

[MOD NOTE: Split from Official Kia Soul EV thread]

lorenfb said:
Valdemar said:
^^^ I know of at least 3 working (sometimes) ABB units at eVgo locations, more are in the process of being added.

I often travel to Thousand Oaks from the LAX area via the 101. I rely on the Blink QC in Newbury Park
to QC for a no-stop return trip. Given the mention about Blink's unreliable service, the only QC before
exiting the valley back to the LAX area is the Nissan dealer in Van Nuys. If that's not available and

There are 3 free quick chargers at LADWP locations and 3 eVgo spots on that route. When was the last time you looked at PlugShare?

Valdemar said:
lorenfb said:
Valdemar said:

There are 3 free quick chargers at LADWP locations and 3 eVgo spots on that route. When was the last time you looked at PlugShare?

Have you looked there, i.e. the 101 corridor is very very sparse?

lorenfb said:
No it's not :roll:

There's ALOT of CHAdeMO's around the 101 now.. and you can charge at the Kia which has 50kw units now in VanNuys for free.. they are cool with Leafs. 2 LADWP units in Sherman Oaks and in Tarzana, etc.. Woodland Hills... Newberry Park.. Van Nuys health center is active now..

You are not looking in the right spots

JasonA said:
lorenfb said:

There's ALOT of CHAdeMO's around the 101 now.. and you can charge at the Kia which has 50kw units now in VanNuys for free.. they are cool with Leafs. 2 LADWP units in Sherman Oaks and in Tarzana, etc.. Woodland Hills... Newberry Park.. Van Nuys health center is active now..

Yeah, I now have like 10 places where I can QC on the way home from my work in Burbank, many are free. This keeps my range anxiety at bay :) I wish 118 corridor would get more love, but no such luck, at least not yet.

JasonA said:
lorenfb said:

My drive from the South Bay (LAX) to Newbury Park is 60 miles one way. If the Blink QC in Newbury Park
is down, the drive back to the valley (Van Nuys Blvd) is about 25 miles. Given that, my "range anxiety"
obviously far exceeds most's. I don't 'gamble' on finding the one crucial 'savior'. There were two Nissan
dealers west of the 405, i.e. Woodlands Hills and Thousand Oaks, within blocks of the 101. Both are
gone now.

lorenfb said:
JasonA said:
lorenfb said:

My drive from the South Bay (LAX) to Newbury Park is 60 miles one way. If the Blink QC in Newbury Park
is down, the drive back to the valley (Van Nuys Blvd) is about 25 miles. Given that, my "range anxiety"
obviously far exceeds most's. I don't 'gamble' on finding the one crucial 'savior'. There were two Nissan
dealers west of the 405, i.e. Woodlands Hills and Thousand Oaks, within blocks of the 101. Both are
gone now.
If you're worried about the QC stations (there is more than one in Thousand Oaks) being down, why wouldn't you stop after 40 miles at one of the many CHAdeMO stations as JasonA has pointed out?

From Newbury Park back to the 405, here are the stations and distance from Newbury Park:

The Oaks Mall, Thousand Oaks, eVgo, 2 mi
Thousand Oaks Transportation Center, Blink, 3 mi
Hines Warner Center, eVgo, 20 mi
LADWP Substation, Free, 22 mi
Walgreens, eVgo, 23 mi

The free LADWP station would be ideal for getting back up to 80% before you head to Newbury Park. Then charge in Thousand Oaks if you like, or charge again on the way back at the same spot, or one of the other many spots near by.

Exactly! and just another quick look shows ANOTHER new LADWP station right off the 405 (so there's like 5 now!) between the 118 and 101 and 4 between the 5 and 23 going to Ventura.

I know Tony hit that Blink not to long ago but there are the NRG's now ALL OVER the place... if I had CHAdeMO (i don't) I wouldn't worry one bit..

P.S. there are 2 (yes, both are working now) at CSUN.. and one in Simi Valley.. so there's your 118 corridor

"The free LADWP station would be ideal for getting back up to 80% before you head to Newbury Park. Then charge in Thousand Oaks if you like, or charge again on the way back at the same spot, or one of the other many spots near by."

That requires two re-charges which is really not an issue. Hey, planning can always resolve charging
issues, but it would be better to have at least one QC very close to 101 corridor, e.g. the old Nissan
dealers in the west end of the valley.

lorenfb said:
That requires two re-charges which is really not an issue. Hey, planning can always resolve charging
issues, but it would be better to have at least one QC very close to 101 corridor, e.g. the old Nissan
dealers in the west end of the valley.
Uh, the Hines Warner Station and LADWP Substation locations I linked to above are very far west on the 101 in the Valley and both within blocks of the freeway.

Is it perfect for this trip you're making? No. Ideally there'd be 4 QC stations and 4 L2 plugs at every street corner. But it's definitely functional.

The Oaks Mall, Thousand Oaks, eVgo, 2 mi

That's a good find. I'll have to check it out next time I'm up there.
So, no need to panic if the Blink in TO is down. Thanks.

Back