California Leafers-Ask for electric charging stations

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

finance4kids

I just leased a new 2015 leaf and am appalled at the lack of charging stations around my location (South Bay part of Los Angeles). Anyway, I read the Nissan Leaf Wiki and came across Assembly Bill 1092 which was passed in 2013 and sponsored by Levine. Basically, it says that for new construction, 'off-street' parking projects, the city must ensure that, for every 4 parking spaces, one should be devoted to electrical vehicle charging station. (I am summarizing the bill here). When I noticed that one of our parks is having its parking lot "re-done", I called my city's public works department and asked to speak to the Project Manager in charge of that project. I called twice and let them know that the new AB 1092 requires that the city build an electrical vehicle charging station in that parking lot. I got a call today from the city saying that there is now a legal obligation for them to build one, and they are going to put forward a project in front of city council, and my guess is that we will have a charging station in the parking lot of one of our parks. When speaking to him, I suggested that it would be in the interest of the city if they built a "fast charging" station, (since that would charge a 2015 leaf in under 30 minutes), thereby allowing others to charge there, and make that parking space useful for more people instead of just one. I am sure they can add a L2 station but that would mean that people would occupy that space for hours, and it won't seem fair to city residents.

I am sharing this story because, as ev owners, we need more, affordable, public charging stations and I would like them to be as ubiquitous as gas stations. Whenever you see a new development, or a construction or re-construction of parking lot, please let the owner or the developer know about this new AB 1092 requirement. If there are attorney(s) who are ev owners on this forum, maybe they can submit a friendly notice of AB 1092 to developers, city building departments, etc. I can tell you that our city public works department was not very clear on the requirement, until I referred him to AB 1092. Now, they say they are doing something about it.

In South Bay, there is a very big hospital, Torrance Memorial, and they don't have a single charging station, even though such is listed in plugshare. I know they are building a new tower, and I hope they create several charging stations.

Maybe, all local ev owners should form a cooperative, and start their own "charging station" brand, and install them at public locations, and offer them at cost or slightly above cost to the owner-members. I know it sounds like a dream, but I just think we should lead the way in creating a system that is beneficial to all of us. Just my 0.02

I don't know what you mean by "lack" of charging stations, because PlugShare is showing (IMHO) plenty in the South Bay:

ScreenShot2014-10-21at54635PM_zps80f8f1fe.png

I've filtered those results by "J1772 only" and removed DCFC stations.

Now if you're talking about the PV Peninsula only, yes it's a bit of a charging desert. But the distances should be short enough to get you to ones along or north of PCH, or to San Pedro or Long Beach.

I wish people would understand that using state violence to coerce people to provide us with charging stations is immoral. Imagine if the world was dominated by electric cars, and someone discovered this amazingly energy dense fuel called "gasoline". A few companies here and there start producing these cars that can go hundreds of miles on a tank of gas. Now imagine governments mandating the installation of gas stations. If you don't install gas stations, government won't give its approval for the construction. If you continue, you will be fined. If you don't pay the fines, you will be charged interest on the fines, and if you don't pay that, they will take your property from you. If you resist, they will use force. If you resist that force, they will escalate that force until you either die or submit. It's insane. But every law and every ordinance is backed by the threat of lethal force. We shouldn't find ourselves on the profiting side of such barbarism.

Let the people choose the car they want, let their demand create the need for the installation of charging stations or gas stations, and let's stop trying to paint ourselves a utopia of EVs through the barrel of a gun.

finance4kids said:
... Basically, it says that for new construction, 'off-street' parking projects, the city must ensure that, for every 4 parking spaces, one should be devoted to electrical vehicle charging station. (I am summarizing the bill here). ...

After reading the text of the bill, I am really not sure how to interpret it. It seemed very vague about requiring a standard to be developed and updates be made to building codes, but not allot of specifics on what the standard would be. How did you arrive at the 1 our of 4 parking spaces devoted to EV charging?

http://leginfo.ca.gov/pub/13-14/bill/asm/ab_1051-1100/ab_1092_bill_20130610_amended_sen_v95.pdf

Chocula

kubel said:
I wish people would understand that using state violence to coerce people to provide us with charging stations is immoral. Imagine if the world was dominated by electric cars, and someone discovered this amazingly energy dense fuel called "gasoline". A few companies here and there start producing these cars that can go hundreds of miles on a tank of gas. Now imagine governments mandating the installation of gas stations. If you don't install gas stations, government won't give its approval for the construction. If you continue, you will be fined. If you don't pay the fines, you will be charged interest on the fines, and if you don't pay that, they will take your property from you. If you resist, they will use force. If you resist that force, they will escalate that force until you either die or submit. It's insane. But every law and every ordinance is backed by the threat of lethal force. We shouldn't find ourselves on the profiting side of such barbarism.

Let the people choose the car they want, let their demand create the need for the installation of charging stations or gas stations, and let's stop trying to paint ourselves a utopia of EVs through the barrel of a gun.

That's quite the view through red tinted glasses.

kubel said:
...using state violence to coerce people to provide us with charging stations is immoral...
:?: :?: :? :? :? :? :? :?
Why don't we get the tax policy moral first :?:

I do not disagree that how we spend the taxes is amazingly complicated and the priorities are very challenging and involved.
But at least Mitt Romney and Warren Buffitt should first pay a % in line with what most of the middle to upper middle class people pay.
Then focus on what should be incentivised or subsidised.

Chocula said:
finance4kids said:
... Basically, it says that for new construction, 'off-street' parking projects, the city must ensure that, for every 4 parking spaces, one should be devoted to electrical vehicle charging station. (I am summarizing the bill here). ...

After reading the text of the bill, I am really not sure how to interpret it. It seemed very vague about requiring a standard to be developed and updates be made to building codes, but not allot of specifics on what the standard would be. How did you arrive at the 1 our of 4 parking spaces devoted to EV charging?

http://leginfo.ca.gov/pub/13-14/bill/asm/ab_1051-1100/ab_1092_bill_20130610_amended_sen_v95.pdf

Chocula
I found reference to that requirement in some places. For instance,
http://cbpa.com/parking-sidewalks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.plugincars.com/federal-and-local-incentives-plug-hybrids-and-electric-cars.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Nissan Leaf Wiki also refers to it.

More? To those of us in the rest of the country it looks like a forest of stations, not a desert.

A measure of stations per register vehicle would be informative.

Back