DST adjustment for PG&E E-6, E-7 and E-9 customers

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DoxyLover

Just a quick reminder, for those of us on E-9 or Solar TOU rate plans. These plans do not acknowledge DST until the first Sunday in April (the 7th this year). So now through April 6, all TOU rate changes occur one hour later than normal. For example, E-6's winter mid-peak, normally 5PM - 8PM will actually be 6PM - 9PM for this period.

I have a SMARTmeter which PG&E could have easily adjusted for current DST times. But apparently PG&E still prefer to use the pre-Bush era DST times.

Just to complete the information, the car's timers are controlled by the console clock. You have to manually switch that clock between standard and DST time:
Menu -> Settings -> Other -> Clock -> Daylight Savings Time: On/Off

The easiest way to keep your charging in Off Peak is to leave that setting Off until "PG&E DST" goes into effect. That way you don't have to mess with your timers.

Ray

I just had my PG&E smartmeter replaced with the GE smartmeter with NEM capability and it handled the DST switchover just fine. Now I can see the hourly net energy use of the day before yesterday - it updates with about a 2 day lag. So upgrade those old TOU Net meters with the new NEM SmartMeter --

http://www.pge.com/en/myhome/saveenergymoney/solarenergy/solarupgrade/index.page" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nekota said:
So upgrade those old TOU Net meters with the new NEM SmartMeter --

http://www.pge.com/en/myhome/saveenergymoney/solarenergy/solarupgrade/index.page" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Do you happen to know if this meter can be programmed with the E-9 rate? Not sure if PG&E would give me one before I have solar installed though. PG&E is still sending out a meter reader once a month for my TOU E-9 meter.

And as far as DST goes can't we just split the difference and set the clocks ahead half an hour and leave them there all year round and call it a day?

Yes I am on E9A rate before PV was installed and when I switched SmartMeter to a NEM SmartMeter (made by GE btw) the rate plan I requested was to stay on E9A which PG&E has provided. I down loaded hourly data and the observed rates and times match the E9A rate schedule.

Nekota said:
I just had my PG&E smartmeter replaced with the GE smartmeter with NEM capability and it handled the DST switchover just fine. Now I can see the hourly net energy use of the day before yesterday - it updates with about a 2 day lag. So upgrade those old TOU Net meters with the new NEM SmartMeter --

I'm still waiting to have my NEM meter replaced with a smartmeter. PG&E took out my first smartmeter when I had solar installed, because they hadn't thought to program the smartmeters for TOU rates. When the upgrade is done is entirely at the discretion and whim of PG&E.

oakwcj said:
I'm still waiting to have my NEM meter replaced with a smartmeter. PG&E took out my first smartmeter when I had solar installed, because they hadn't thought to program the smartmeters for TOU rates. When the upgrade is done is entirely at the discretion and whim of PG&E.
When I saw Nekota's post, I called the phone number on the web page he referenced, and PG&E told me they'd send out someone to change the meter within a week. So apparently they are responding to requests.

Cheers, Wayne

wwhitney said:
When I saw Nekota's post, I called the phone number on the web page he referenced, and PG&E told me they'd send out someone to change the meter within a week. So apparently they are responding to requests.
And someone came out yesterday to change my meter. Pretty speedy.

Cheers, Wayne

wwhitney said:
wwhitney said:
And someone came out yesterday to change my meter. Pretty speedy.

Cheers, Wayne

Thanks for the info.

I am a E9 ratepayer who was told in August of 2011 I'd definitely get the SM installed in the first quarter of 2012.

Just called the # and was told I'd get a SM within a week.

I don't really believe it, but as compared to the many hours I've spent previously on the phone with PG&E, hearing:

We don't know when...

We don't know when, we will know when...

We don't know why, we don't know when, we will know when...

We don't know if, we will ever know why, we don't know when, we will know when...

We don't know why, we don't know if, we will ever know why, we don't know when, we will know when...

This call was nice change of pace.

My interaction with PG&E was not quite so copacetic. I called and was told that it was up to Wellington Energy. They told me to call Wellington. I called Wellington Energy and was told that they hadn't received a work order for my meter from PG&E, so their hands are tied. Typical PG&E bullshit.

If I have a smart meter will PG&E mainframes apply the correct rate to my hourly usage according to the Federally mandated start of DST or not?

srl99 said:
If I have a smart meter will PG&E mainframes apply the correct rate to my hourly usage according to the Federally mandated start of DST or not?
According to the representative I spoke with earlier this week, the smart meter will use the current beginning and ending dates of DST. Also, the representative said that my fixed monthly electric bill should drop significantly due to no longer paying to have my meter read.

Cheers, Wayne

wwhitney said:
srl99 said:
According to the representative I spoke with earlier this week, the smart meter will use the current beginning and ending dates of DST. Also, the representative said that my fixed monthly electric bill should drop significantly due to no longer paying to have my meter read.

Cheers, Wayne
AFAIK, that is incorrect... it's even written into the rate schedules! For example, in the E-6 schedule @ http://www.pge.com/tariffs/tm2/pdf/ELEC_SCHEDS_E-6.pdf, sheet 4:

DAYLIGHT SAVING TIME ADJUSTMENT: The time periods shown above will begin and end one hour later for the period between the second Sunday in March and the first Sunday in April, and for the period between the last Sunday in October and the first Sunday in November.

The next step, hopefully, is for PG&E to amend the schedules to add "unless you are serviced through a Smart Meter" or such.

wwhitney said:
Man, would I ever love to have your electric bill! My interpretation of "significantly" might be 5% or more. If I remember correctly, the meter read fee is $2/month, which would suggest you are paying $40/month or less. I have most of the south slope of my roof covered with solar panels, and I'm still paying an average of well over $100/month.

Ray

Stay tuned for the TV consumer reports "how many PG&E employees does it take to change a clock?". This is all re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. You want the SMUD (Sacramento) residential rates (ex: R-1).

Back