Wait time for California DMV carpool stickers?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LTSkier

I mailed in the "Application for Clean Air Vehicle Decal" form + check to the DMV over a month ago and I've received nothing yet. How long should I expect to wait? I am eager to get in that carpool lane :)

a month was about right in 2011. i would expect it shortly.
see when your check was cashed and expect it within that week.

Mine took over two months to get. But they do eventually arrive. The first clue they were coming was when my check finally cleared. :D

I expect that January applications are a bit slow because of holiday issues and, December is a bigger month for new EV sales. Shouldn't be too much longer.

BayArea said:
DMV California $ucks - these FAT retard still processing Dec 31, 2012 application for white stickers. And this was confirmed on 2/20/2013 when I called on 2/20/2013.
California DMV full of stupid people, why can't they issue White Stickers when you apply for the plates? The reason because these retard want to earn overtime, by milking the process. Now I know why all those people are so fat, becasue they are stupid and simply incompetent.

A designated EV plate would make more sense, that's for sure.

Olibri said:
Car bought 1/20/13
DMV app sent 2/8
DMV check cashed 3/26
Stickers received TBD

I just checked, hoping my check had been retrieved from the same DMV circular file as yours, but no such luck...

Car bought 5/2011
DMV app sent 2/20/13
DMV check not cashed
Stickers received TBD

I finally received my stickers on March 2nd (almost 2 months since I had mailed in the application). The check cleared just a few days before I got the stickers. Somewhere in the middle I called this DMV number to check up, just to make sure my application didn't get lost in the mail: (916) 657-8035

LTSkier said:
I finally received my stickers on March 2nd (almost 2 months since I had mailed in the application). The check cleared just a few days before I got the stickers. Somewhere in the middle I called this DMV number to check up, just to make sure my application didn't get lost in the mail: (916) 657-8035

I just called that number (thanks) and was told they had just opened applications received by 2/13 (so, they had no info on mine, mailed 2/20) and that applications are presently taking 7-8 weeks from receipt to completion.

BTW, is it correct that these stickers not only allow you to use HOV lanes, but give you the appplicable HOV discounts on All bay area bridges, whether you pay by fastrack or not?

Olibri said:
Car bought 1/20/13
DMV app sent 2/8
DMV check cashed 3/26
Stickers received TBD
I'm in the same boat.. similar dates. 6 weeks after the fact, just checked the bank and the $8 cleared yesterday!

Just submitted my papers, after waiting a month for the DMV. Although putting that ugly thing on my baby is gonna be tough :x All in all, a sweet deal, huh! :cool: BTW, Do you know if the HOV sticker lets you go through the 2 occupancy lane on the freeway onramp even when there is no HOV lane at that juncture?

BayArea said:
LTSkier said:
I mailed in the "Application for Clean Air Vehicle Decal" form + check to the DMV over a month ago and I've received nothing yet. How long should I expect to wait? I am eager to get in that carpool lane :)

DMV California $ucks - these FAT retard still processing Dec 31, 2012 application for white stickers. And this was confirmed on 2/20/2013 when I called on 2/20/2013.
California DMV full of stupid people, why can't they issue White Stickers when you apply for the plates? The reason because these retard want to earn overtime, by milking the process. Now I know why all those people are so fat, becasue they are stupid and simply incompetent.

1. No need to post the EXACT same post twice (once with a quote, and once without, so it's not a computer issue)
2. If you want to be taken seriously, you may want to refrain from the terms "fat retard." I am not a fan of the CA DMV bureaucracy, but your terminology is just plain offensive. I would imagine those here with developmentally disabled family and close friends would be even more offended than me.
3. Thanks to this state's long-messed-up budget, DMV staffing has been cut back. So yes everything will take longer than normal, and normal was already a long time.

Nubo said:

Has the possibility of such ever been discussed here and on other EV forums? If the firefighters can get their own special plates, I'm sure owners/lessees of EVs can make a similar effort.

Nubo said:
Yeah, no kidding. That'd cut down on the wait time since they at least get the plates out relatively quickly.

A month already sounds bad (I don't remember how long the now expired yellow HOV stickers took for me) but two months is bordering on crazy. For those people who benefit from the HOV stickers, I'd hate to think about how much time is wasted commuting during those 2 months w/o the stickers.

If I were in that boat, I'd be willing to pay more for expedited processing so they can hire some more people.

cwerdna said:
A month already sounds bad (I don't remember how long the now expired yellow HOV stickers took for me) but two months is bordering on crazy. For those people who benefit from the HOV stickers, I'd hate to think about how much time is wasted commuting during those 2 months w/o the stickers.

If I were in that boat, I'd be willing to pay more for expedited processing so they can hire some more people.

I'm not even sure more people is the answer. Sounds more like foot-dragging to me. Does it take any more effort to perpetually stay 1 month behind than to stay perpetually 2 months behind? Does a long delay make the forms somehow easier to process? Just how long does it take to process one of these forms?

If the trickle of forms is really this difficult to handle, one can only imagine the queue as EV adoption grows! :eek:

BayArea said:
Why don't you tell us how you really feel? :lol:

edatoakrun said:
LTSkier said:
I finally received my stickers on March 2nd (almost 2 months since I had mailed in the application). The check cleared just a few days before I got the stickers. ....

BTW, is it correct that these stickers not only allow you to use HOV lanes, but give you the appplicable HOV discounts on All bay area bridges, whether you pay by fastrack or not?

Not correct. You still need the Fastrak transponder AND you need to go in the carpool lane to only pay $2.50 during commute hours. But, you do NOT need the two or three persons in your car to use HOV lanes. If you are in a Fastrak only or regular traffic lane, you are charged the regular amount for that time frame ($2.50, $4 or $6 on Bay Bridge or $2.50 or $5.00 on other bridges except GG) whether you have the white stickers or not.

It's been over a month waiting for my replacement stickers after my bumpers got demolished.

bobsfreeleaf said:
BTW, Do you know if the HOV sticker lets you go through the 2 occupancy lane on the freeway onramp even when there is no HOV lane at that juncture?
Yes, the stickers do allow access to the carpool lane on on-ramps.

DoxyLover said:
bobsfreeleaf said:
BTW, Do you know if the HOV sticker lets you go through the 2 occupancy lane on the freeway onramp even when there is no HOV lane at that juncture?
Yes, the stickers do allow access to the carpool lane on on-ramps.
Thanks! I have a Doxy too. A 13 lb. brown/black longhair mini (well more of a middie these days). Take care, Bob

Back