Anybody with 2011 or 2012 interested in upgrade to new battery?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, i really meant different discharge curve/profile, not different capacity.
When the 24 kWh LBC gives out the low battery warning, the first cell reached ~3.7V and we have 18~20% energy left in the battery. As we know, the dashboard starts flashing like a Christmas tree.

At this stage a 30 kWh still has 40~50%.

So, if the LBC does not adjust (i believe it won't!) the last half of the battery (100km or 60 miles) will be driven with a flashing dashboard filled with wrong information (GOM, battery bars, SOC).

we can only estimate (not know) how much energy is in the battery through leaf spy.

Cor, I have answered this last March, what's the trouble?

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=21997&start=130#p488787

If that isn't enough, you have both discharge curves in this site:
http://evbatterycenter.com/HAC4/index.php?option=com_hikashop&view=category&layout=listing&Itemid=605

RNM said:
Cor, I have answered this last March, what's the trouble?
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=21997&start=130#p488787
If that isn't enough, you have both discharge curves in this site:
http://evbatterycenter.com/HAC4/index.php?option=com_hikashop&view=category&layout=listing&Itemid=605
Ah, thanks for that pointer. I had not seen evidence that the 30kWh chemistry is different, else the voltages would not be so different.
In that case it is not useful to put the 80Ah modules into a 64Ah pack, since the BMS will not be using most of the extra power, I agree.
You will need the 30 kWh BMS to make use of all the energy in the 30 kWh battery. Good to know.

Glad to be of service, Cor.

Here is what I believe:
The car can access the "extra" energy? Yes
So the car's range will the same as a 30 kWh? Yes
Will the percentage on the dash be useful? No.
Will the GOM be better? No, on the contrary.

Thanks for a civil discussion. I'm anxiously awaiting the day Cor gets a salvage 30 KWh battery and tries to put it into a 2011-2015 Leaf. Then, only then will we truly know how it will work.

Reddy said:
Thanks for a civil discussion. I'm anxiously awaiting the day Cor gets a salvage 30 KWh battery and tries to put it into a 2011-2015 Leaf. Then, only then will we truly know how it will work.

Based on RNM's response, the GOM will be wildly off, and you'll get VLBW way too soon. And you'll be able to drive on VLBW for quite a while too!

This LA Craigslist seller claims he got a warranty replacement, and Nissan put a "next-gen" 2018 battery in his 2012 SV. Photo shows 125 miles on the GOM. Might be spam and photoshop, I emailed seller but no reply. https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/d/nissan-leaf-sv-2012-brand-new/6328682464.html

00S0S_8hDiRcIiwpz_600x450.jpg

erco said:
This LA Craigslist seller claims he got a warranty replacement, and Nissan put a "next-gen" 2018 battery in his 2012 SV. Photo shows 125 miles on the GOM. Might be spam and photoshop, I emailed seller but no reply. https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/d/nissan-leaf-sv-2012-brand-new/6328682464.html

00S0S_8hDiRcIiwpz_600x450.jpg

I'd call it a scam, but it's definitely not photoshop'd. My 2013 show'd 115 miles on the GOM after driving at a constant 30mph the night before.

Edit: Oh look! He's on eco mode!

No scam. He never said he got a 30kWh battery, just a new one. The car is showing 125mi because he's only driven it 8mi since the battery was installed and the GOM isn't accurate yet (it never really is, but...)

davewill said:
No scam. He never said he got a 30kWh battery, just a new one. The car is showing 125mi because he's only driven it 8mi since the battery was installed and the GOM isn't accurate yet (it never really is, but...)

It's a scam, because he did claim that he got gen2018 battery (which is supposedly 40kwh). He didn't flat out _say_ that he got a 40kwh battery, but he's implying it.

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
davewill said:

It's a scam, because he did claim that he got gen2018 battery (which is supposedly 40kwh). He didn't flat out _say_ that he got a 40kwh battery, but he's implying it.

YOU are implying capacity, he isn't. His only implication (which is nothing but speculation our our part btw) is that he got a pack with 2018 tech, nothing more and in the event the 2017 "24 KWH" packs were exhausted, that is EXACTLY what would happen.

DaveinOlyWA said:
Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
davewill said:

YOU are implying capacity, he isn't. His only implication (which is nothing but speculation our our part btw) is that he got a pack with 2018 tech, nothing more and in the event the 2017 "24 KWH" packs were exhausted, that is EXACTLY what would happen.

@DaveinOlyWA, you can't be serious?!?! Did you click on the craigslist posting? Did you read how he worded the rest of his post? The craigslist poster is trying very hard to offload his 2012 leaf SV.

You and I both know there's no such thing as a gen2018 leaf battery. There can be a 24kwh battery built in 2018, but we're STILL IN 2017!! Is $8000 a good price for a 2012 with a new 24kwh battery? It's not a great deal that's for sure.

Seems like he's trying to reel-in someone who doesn't know any better.

Thought I was subscribed to this thread but looks like I missed a couple pages. Here's the timelapse of my pack being swapped:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzMbgpcOwvI

I also started a graph of the reported capacity, looks like it should be up to the expected value by 11/5 (22 days from the swap) if the trend stays linear:

aCJLQAv.png

jkenny23 said:
Thought I was subscribed to this thread but looks like I missed a couple pages. Here's the timelapse of my pack being swapped:

I also started a graph of the reported capacity, looks like it should be up to the expected value by 11/5 (22 days from the swap) if the trend stays linear:

Any reappearing bars on the dashboard?

RNM said:
jkenny23 said:

Any reappearing bars on the dashboard?

Not yet. Guess it was mid way through the 5th bar already before the swap.

Thank you to all for posting their swap stories.

Now that Nissan is no longer replacing out-of-warranty OE battery packs for free or heavily discounted, I expect replacement packs may soon become a larger market opportunity.

Have any of you found uses for, or buyers of, any of the OE packs you replaced?

Anyone tried to contact AESC or their new owners about buying modules, either "24 kWh" or "30 kWh", new from the factory?

jkenny23 said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzMbgpcOwvI

aCJLQAv.png
Cool video thanks for posting it. All in all the battery swap seems about the same level of difficulty as replacing an engine in an ICE car. Maybe a bit easier.

How much would you estimate the battery weighs? Is it really 600 lbs as rumored? It looks like you were able to handle it yourself ok.

I'm curious to know: Any harm in swapping only a few of the modules out rather than the whole pack? Eg, suppose I don't want to spend so much but want a range boost, could I go halves on a salvage pack with a fellow LEAF owner?

I might have to go down this path in a few years if Nissan Australia decide to charge an exorbitant price for a replacement pack. There are very few owners in Australia.

Feng said:
I'm curious to know: Any harm in swapping only a few of the modules out rather than the whole pack? Eg, suppose I don't want to spend so much but want a range boost, could I go halves on a salvage pack with a fellow LEAF owner?

I might have to go down this path in a few years if Nissan Australia decide to charge an exorbitant price for a replacement pack. There are very few owners in Australia.

You can do some reading about cell balancing for why this wouldn't really work to increase range/capacity, the gist is the weaker cells will reach "full" first and signal the end of charge/discharge before the stronger cells and eliminate any benefit. I think a few cells were replaced in one owner's Leaf early in this thread since they were shorted out during the replacement procedure.

Back