SoCal LEAF & EV Gathering - Sixth Year Ended - 20 Aug 2016

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
24 hours and 24 minutes to go, until our next EV Gathering ...
at the Golden Corral in City of Industry, just South of freeway 60,
and 4 miles West of freeway 57 & 60 interchange.

I plan to be there slightly before 8 am to arrange seating, if possible.
Cheers, Gary

For LEAF owners that would find having a second EVSE convenient,
mine was modified to 120 or 240 volt operation at 16 amps, up from
the standard 12 amps, and adding the 240 volt capability.
I want to get another to feed up to 40 amps to my Tesla, so I hope
to sell the present one to someone nearby.

If interested, please let me know, I will probably bring it tomorrow.
CU at GC

Edit ... I brought it, but forgot to mention it to anyone.

Friday noon, I bought one of Glenn's 40A OpenEVSE constructions, which I used
to charge my Tesla on Friday night ... at 16 amps from a 20A dual 120v breaker,
which is all that I have available for now. Appeared to work quite well, ...
once I found my misplaced J1772-to-Tesla Adapter.

garygid said:
New locations, both HTB and other are up for nomination for our next meeting, which is currently scheduled for Saturday, April 2nd, ...

Some possibilities:
1. Another Hometown Buffet, in nearby Lakewood, at 4700 Candlewood, about 2 miles West, and a block or 2 South of our Cerritos location.

2. The Golden Corral, a few miles West of Cerritos, at freeway 91 and Bellflower.

3. ...

I probably won't make it tomorrow. It's a little farther than I want to drive.

As for future meetings, my vote goes to Golden Corral in Bellflower. It's an easy commute, literally right next to the freeway, it's very close to the old HTB in Cerritos, it has an extensive selection of food items, and it has a nice, big meeting room available.

Linda

If you want to try the GC in the CofI, we might be able for you to link up and ride with someone else.
The GC in CofI is said to be substantially better than the one in Bellflower.
For me in Laguna Hills, both locations are almost the same distance.

Even without sparky, we had 9 bodies, and most seemed to like the Golden Corral in the City of Industry.
No lines to get in at around 8 AM, and sufficiently flexible seating for smaller groups of up to 12 people.
It looked like there was a meeting room for larger groups.

Plenty of parking, but the GC is popular and began to fill up around 11:30 when Gene and I had to go,
leaving 6 at our tables that would seat 12. I suggested that they vacate half the tables, leaving them
to be cleared and made available for others. They can report on what happened after that.

We had at least 3 Tesla Model S, 2 Rav4EV, but I am not sure what the other 2 EVs were.
Thanks to all who showed up for the experiment. There were fresh waffles for Boomer ... I ate one.
Four types of juices, and chocolate and regular milk (enough for me) are included in
the breakfast price, but endless coffee and/or soft drinks were an extra charge for a "drink".

We only saw nice helpful staff ... overall a quite pleasant experience for me.
Comments from others would be appreciated.

Our next EV Gathering is on April 16th, 2016, which is a week from this coming Saturday.
We will gather at our usual Hometown Buffet on 17th Street in Santa Ana, just 2 blocks East
of the I-5 freeway. They open at 8 AM for breakfast, and I intend to be there a few minutes early.

Considering last Saturday's trial adventure to the Golden Corral in the City of Industry,
where should we gather to eat in the beginning of May?

The first post of this thread shows my suggested May dates ... any comments?
Cheers, Gary

Thanks to the Hometown Buffet on 17th Street in Santa Ana for allowing us to meet there for over 5.5 years Last Saturday we had our longest Gathering ever, over 7 hours. Fortunately, there were empty tables the whole time, so we were not asked to "shoo" ... as in a shoo-out, not a shoo-in. Nearing 3 PM, I think we still had 9 people there.

Cheers, everyone for making this an event to look forward to.

For those planning ahead ...

Since the early April Gathering at the Golden Corral in the Cty of Industry was considered a good success by all/most of those attending, we will try it again.

If you need help getting there, just ask and we will try to arrange ride sharing.

------ 69th month Gatherings ------
Gathering #69a: 7 May 2016 at Golden Corral in City of Industry for breakfast.
Gathering #69b: 21 May 2016 at the HTB on 17th in Santa Ana for breakfast.

------ 70th month Gatherings ------
Gathering #70a: 4 Jun 2016 at Golden Corral in City of Industry for breakfast.
Gathering #70b: 18 Jun 2016 at the HTB on 17th in Santa Ana for breakfast.
Gathering #70c: 25 Jun 2016 a special potluck, location and time to be announced.

Our next EV Gathering is one week from today, on May 7th, at the Golden Corral just barely south of the 60 freeway in the City of Industry, more or less East of Los Angeles (4 miles West of the 57 and 60 freeway interchange).

The GC opens at 7:30 for breakfast, but I intend to be there shortly before 8 AM to arrange for a row of tables at the right end of the establishment, possibly in their group room, if that is available for our expected length of stay. We need to be sensitive to their need for tables as the morning progresses. Last time there were still a few empty tables at around 11 when I left for the treck home.

CU there.

Waddle carefully, to and fro ... I should pick up Boomer at about 7 and CU at the trough, oink, snort ...
Steven is hoping to join us also, perhaps around 9 AM.

I heard that today is national Garden Naked day ... ask Dori if that is true!

Eh? Naked Gardening Day!!? Well Saturday I was in a garden setting for a wedding, but except for a cute Jack Russell terrier wearing only a bow tie :shock: :eek: nope, nada, no nakedness that I could discern! :roll: :oops: Sorry I couldn't make it again to the GC breakfast at C of I but will definitely make the next breakfast in Santa Ana, hope to see you all then!

Well, at least you were gardening ... but I should not believe all that I am told, I guess.

Last Saturday we had at least 12 people at GC,
A good meeting in the slightly quieter Group Room.
Boomer gave his SOA (Stomp Of Approval) on this GC location.

Some were learning what TM-Spy could do, some learning to fry transistors,
and some learning to blow fuses by trying to charge more EVs. Some were
struggling with more difficult problems, but long life is not always easy.
My best wishes to all.

By 11:30 there were many groups waiting for tables, but only
seven 3 or 4 place tables or booths were available as I left.

Next Gathering in Santa Ana on the 21st of May.

Our next EV Gathering is at the Hometown Buffet on 17th Street in Santa Ana
this coming Saturday, May 21, starting when they open for breakfast, at 8 AM.
It is easy to find, located just two blocks East of freeway I-5 on 17th.

Gary, do you have any of the air filters purchased in bulk available for the meeting? I'm going to come to this meeting and I would like to get one. If you don't have any or you don't do this anymore I could buy a bunch and bring some to the meeting for others who would like one.

Back