SoCal Year 5 LEAF & EV Gatherings - See Year 6

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JeremyW said:
cwerdna said:
Interesting... despite all your experiences w/the lack of reliability of Tesla bits. It'll be interesting to see how many drive unit replacements it requires, given that there are now front and rear drive units. And, it'll be interesting to see if some of the other common/semi-common Model S problems continue to crop up.

Every time I see a thread on TMC about some broken tesla bits, their service response is soo top notch that the customer almost forgets anything was broken in the first place. Seamless handling of loaner vehicles, picking up and dropping off of the repaired vehicle anytime/anywhere... It's an order of magnitude better than dealing with a Toyota dealer, I'm sure.

Well, to be clear, the Toyota experience hasn't been bad... just a lot of it.

The Tesla Model S-70D uses both front and rear motors that are different than the other Tesla products. It's an entirely new, smaller motor, both front and rear.

Yes, I fully expect no difficulties with Tesla. If the car is broken, they absolutely will fix it.

cwerdna said:
Interesting... despite all your experiences w/the lack of reliability of Tesla bits. It'll be interesting to see how many drive unit replacements it requires, given that there are now front and rear drive units. And, it'll be interesting to see if some of the other common/semi-common Model S problems continue to crop up.
It also appears to me that, compared to a year or two ago, posters on TMC are reporting fewer problems with their cars. My overall impression is that Tesla vehicle reliability has been steadily improving.

Apparently the front and rear motors of both the S85D and the S70D are
all the same, a new, more efficient design, and the first 70D has been delivered.

Our next Gathering is this coming Saturday, the 23rd of May, in Santa Ana.

Last Sunday I went to the San Diego Tesla Group's Pot Luck in Solana Beach.
It is such a pleasure (yes, expensive pleasure) to be able to drive a while
and actually get somewhere without having to hunt for a functioning charger.

Indeed, the Tesla's Range, its Evolving Features, and the Supercharger network (TREFS)
put it in a class of its own. Our Gathering has also evolved, now including LEAFs, Rav4EVs,
Codas, Teslas, and a BMW i3. It is quite likely that 4 of the 5 makes will be in the parking lot
this coming Saturday, and the Coda pops in occasionally.

Be there, or be cubic.
Cheers, Gary

How about a change of pace for the June 6th (normally HTB in Cerritos)?

Apparently there is a new Golden Corral only about 2 miles away, about 1 mile
North up 605 to 91, then about 1 mile West on 91 to the Bellflower exit, turn left
onto Bellflower Blvd and go under the freeway, the take an immediate left onto Beverly,
and the GC is right there, on your right, so turn right into their parking lot.

Golden Corral
17308 Bellflower Blvd
Bellflower, CA 90706
(562) 925-5557

It might be more noisy, seating might be less flexible, but
almost the same prices, probably 2 notches up in
food selections and possibly one notch in quality.

They open for 8 AM on Saturday (and Sunday) for breakfast.

What do you think?
If there are no serious objections, we will try it.

Gary, the Yelp reviews on this location don't bode well: http://www.yelp.com/biz/golden-corral-buffet-and-grill-bellflower" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; It's a mixed bag on the quality of the food, but the standout criticism seems to be the 1/2 hr to 2 hour long waiting lines to get in, and then to pay, and then to access the food. The ones who waited the shortest times were on the weekdays. Since we all sort of straggle in throughout the morning, it seems us stragglers may be spending much time waiting alone in the line rather than enjoying each other's company and the food, and I'm certain we won't have the flexibility in seating that we do at HTB. One reviewer suggested waiting 3 to 6 months till the hype of the opening died down. How about a scouting breakfast some Saturday to check out the lines/food/seating?

OK, I will schedule a scouting Saturday breakfast at the Golden Corral
on an off-weekend, and whoever wants can join in.

However, the regular Gathering on June 6th will be at HTB in Cerritos, as usual.

A Possibility... Scout out the Golden Corral in Bellflower
for Saturday breakfast at 8 AM on May 30th or June 13th.
Or, just wait.
I am open to suggestions or other input, Thanks.

I have only been to lunch at the GC just south of freeway 60,
about 5 miles west of freeway 57. The food and variety was
great, but it was always fairly crowded.

@Gary
I can attend either 'scouting' date (May 30th or June 13th) at the Bellflower GC.
Just let me know which date you decide on.

Roughly 25 hours and 50 minutes until our Gathering at the Hometown Buffet in Santa Ana.

Take the 17th street exit from the I-5 freeway, go 2 blocks east, and turn right
into the HTB parking lot. If you cross the train tracks, you have gone too far East.

I should arrive at about 8:01 for breakfast. There should be 3 or 4 Teslas,
a BMW i3, and some LEAFs and Rav4EVs to help decorate the parking lot.

Thanks all, for your continued participation.
Sincerely, Gary

Just came across this for some savings at the HTB gatherings.
https://www.groupon.com/deals/ovation-brands-1-orange-county

(requires Groupon acct., and the usual fine print: promotional value expires 90 days
after purchase. Amount paid never expires. Limit 1 per person. This voucher represents
a prepayment for meals and beverages available at participating Old Country Buffet,
HomeTown Buffet, Country Buffet, Ryan’s and Fire Mountain restaurants.)

A great Gathering, with about 14 persons (bp, grt, c, daj, jdssb), and
roughly 2 BMS i3s, 3 Teslas, 1 Coda, 3 LEAFs, and 3 Rav4EVs.

The next Gathering is on June 6th at the HTB in Cerritos, on South St.

The trial of the new Golden Corral will be Saturday, June 13th,
at about 8 AM in Bellflower, with myself and 2 others (at this
point) planning to attend. Any others are welcome.

It looks like I will be driving to Bakersfield for their first EV breakfast
meeting at 9:30 on June 20th. From Orange County it is probably a
3.5 hour trip, so it will be early to leave, and blow most of the day.

Since it is safer and more fun to travel in pairs, there might be somebody
who would like to share this Tesla S85 adventure with me. If you are
interested, please PM me, or call me if you have my number.

Celebrate the End of our 5th year of Gatherings:

Save Saturday the 29th of August, 2015 for a breakfast potluck
at Jeanne's place of dwelling. More details later, still in pencil,
not yet planned in ink, but likely.

THANKS, Jeanne, for your kindness and hospitality.

Back