Colorado Deals on Leafs!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sendmeonmyway

Colorado dealers are eager to sell the 2017 leafs. There are huge discounts.
  1. 5k - Colorado State rebate (you can claim yourself next tax season, or the dealer can give you the discount, and they get the credit)
  • 7.5k - Federal tax rebate. up to 7.5k, as long as you paid that much tax last year. You get the rebate on your taxes next tax season. (or now, if you change your W4 income withholding to match.
  • Ask for dealer rebates! They are offering huge discounts. Call around. Walk in and ask. Folks are getting 2,3,4k+ accessories!

That's a sweet discount on a cool car.

Just ask for the leaf experts. If you don't, you'll get some stupid comments. "you'll get a free tank of gas if you buy from me today (not joking)"

We're thinking of relocating to Colorado from California.
We own a 2014 Leaf S (bought in 2014), with 30,000 miles on it, still have 12 bars.
Normally I'd just ship the car over, but these deals have me thinking of selling and buying.
I'm trying to get my head around all the various discounts and rebates that may or may not be available to me with each option.

sendmeonmyway said:
Colorado dealers are eager to sell the 2017 leafs. There are huge discounts.
  1. 5k - Colorado State rebate (you can claim yourself next tax season, or the dealer can give you the discount, and they get the credit)

I presume I can't get a Colorado rebate on my old Leaf if I bring it to Colorado (either the old rebate or the new rebate)?
The new rebate doesn't seem to apply to used Leafs (although I bought my Leaf new in 2014)?
The old rebate might but I'm probably too late for that?
Note that I wouldn't be selling the Leaf to myself, just bringing it into my new home of Colorado.

For the new rebate for a new Leaf as long as my W2 income for 2017 is over $100k I should be fine to get it, correct?

sendmeonmyway said:
  • 7.5k - Federal tax rebate. up to 7.5k, as long as you paid that much tax last year. You get the rebate on your taxes next tax season. (or now, if you change your W4 income withholding to match.

yep, already received on my old Leaf, would get this with a new one.

sendmeonmyway said:

I guess for this I cannot purchase the Leaf until I actually have an xcel energy bill, which I'm guessing won't be until August. Basically the best I can do here is wait for July 1 and see if they extend it.
My guess is that the discounts will only get better until the next generation Leaf comes out.

sendmeonmyway said:
  • Ask for dealer rebates! They are offering huge discounts. Call around. Walk in and ask. Folks are getting 2,3,4k+ accessories!

There is currently a $4k NMAC rebate and VPP is $1k... but these technically seem to conflict with the xcel energy rebate, so wouldn't technically apply... hence any extra discounts are likely negotiation.

sendmeonmyway said:
That's a sweet discount on a cool car.

Yep. If I can get all the above on a base 2017 S then I might be able to sell in CA, buy new in CO, net cost around $0 and come out of it with a new Leaf with more range.
The extra range would be nice to have (with winter cold weather and snow tires) but not an absolute requirement. We also own a Tesla for long distance drives, so this is a second car for spouse/au pair etc...
Our 2014 Leaf S with quick charge only cost $14,600 new after all the rebates and discounts... that seemed a great deal at the time!

Be sure of the timing to get the Colorado rebate.
You have to be a resident at the time you buy the car.

cantdecide -

I'd think there could be some arbitrage here... aka, sell and buy.

The rebates won't work on old leafs.

New federal rebate isn't based on W2 or earnings, it's on taxed paid. That said, most folks who W2 100k pay more than $7500/federally each year, so you'd likely be covered. Check your tax return (1040ez, line 10, 1040, line 44).

You might be able to sign up with xcel sooner... Or get creative. Or I can add your name to my bill (for a fee of tasty beverages). I'm told the XCEL deal goes through this month, but no longer.

I'd agree the 4k/1k NMAC deals don't apply. Negotiation works well though. They want these cars moved. Fast.

Not a bad car to have around!! PM me if you'd like!!

Ok. Thanks... I was under the impression that the Xcel energy deal ended at the end of June?
However many of the other states had deals extended until September 30.

I think I will wait until next month sometime when I become a CO resident, then if I can get a cheap upgrade I will... Otherwise my 2013 leaf still works great.
My company is paying for relocation so I'm not saving anything by selling and buying instead of transporting and according to kbb the used leaf process only suffer by $50

Keep in mind Colorado car taxes that include purchase and annual property, the latter scaled to car age. They put a pretty good dent into passing thoughts of casual upgrades. Depending on the county in Colorado they will add 6 -9% expenses of the new car value to the swap.

The other issue to keep in mind for people paying close attention to costs is insurance. A 2013 Leaf has very little value and can be insured for under $1 a day. I pay about $200 a year. A new car will be quite a bit more expensive since a lender will demand full coverage and even most people who pay cash will be inclined to do the same.

Has anyone had any luck getting the Xcel discount without being an Xcel customer? We don't have that deal here in the springs but if we did I would jump on it.

Rest assured Xcel is not paying $10k per car, so keep your eyes open for other promotions in Colorado. I know that my county just had one without any utility sponsor.

cantdecide said:
Ok. Thanks... I was under the impression that the Xcel energy deal ended at the end of June?
However many of the other states had deals extended until September 30.

I think I will wait until next month sometime when I become a CO resident, then if I can get a cheap upgrade I will... Otherwise my 2013 leaf still works great.
My company is paying for relocation so I'm not saving anything by selling and buying instead of transporting and according to kbb the used leaf process only suffer by $50

Xcel deal was moved through July.

sendmeonmyway said:

Thanks. It turns out now that we're starting a lease (in an Xcel area August 1 and arriving in CO on August 4th.
The corporate relocation team is paying to ship our LEAF.
So if the deal gets extended again we might go for it, otherwise keep what we have, or upgrade to model 3.

cantdecide said:
sendmeonmyway said:

Thanks. It turns out now that we're starting a lease (in an Xcel area August 1 and arriving in CO on August 4th.
The corporate relocation team is paying to ship our LEAF.
So if the deal gets extended again we might go for it, otherwise keep what we have, or upgrade to model 3.

Good luck with the move!

It looks like at this Nissan Promotion has once again been extended into September at Boulder Nissan. I have been on the fence and are considering trading in a 10 y/o high millage ICE for model S.

If anyone could post the results of their sale (MSRP/Dealer Discounts) in July or August of this year it would be appreciated. I'm interested in what additional dealer discounts you may have obtained with limited dealer negotiation. It maybe my impression but it also seems that the SV model is being more heavily discounted than the model S

I was happy to hear from the various dealers that that promotion is still on the go. I actually called a couple of dealers today and got this info:

• - Tynans Aurora and Ft Collins: No Stock of anything
    - Boulder Nissan: Has several S and SV models
    - Arapahoe Nissan: Has a new shipment of S, SV and SL models

None of them wanted to give me a price on the phone, but their web sites are showing some quite substantial discounts. So far it looks like one could probably get:

- $10,000 Xcel instant rebate
- $5000 Colorado State instant rebate
- $7500 Federal incentive (pay now, but get back early next year on taxes)
- $1000 NMAC cash back if you already have a Leaf

So tempting.... a $37,000 MSRP - $22,500 = $14,500... ($13,500 if already an owner), and possibly more off at dealer discretion? I'm extremely tempted to visit a dealer tomorrow to see :)

Don't accept MSRP - dealers have to move this inventory - shoot for 10% off MSRP plus the other incentives and don't accept add-ons such as VIN etching.

Yeah, I noticed on their web site that inventory is listed at $15,000 off, Xcel + CO State rebates I'm guessing?

http://www.bouldernissan.com/VehicleSearchResults?search=new&location=&bodyType=&make=Nissan&model=&trim=&minYear=&maxYear=&maxPrice=

Also saw something on their home page about "buy a leaf, get a 36 month rogue lease free"? Hmm....

I'm thinking it might be possible to get something like this: http://www.bouldernissan.com/VehicleDetails/new-2017-Nissan-LEAF-SV_Hatchback-Boulder-CO/2966828343 for perhaps $17-18K out the door, then with $7500 federal credit that comes down to about $10,000K total + sales taxes. But they wouldn't tell me anything over the phone, guess one must do the traditional dealer haggle for it!

People STILL don't get that the dealer prices that are quoted are INCLUDING the $7500 tax credit and the Nissan financing rebate. That is how they get you through the door.... They will deny this until you are sitting down with them, and you directly ask them if the quoted price is BEFORE the tax credit...

Be logical... You cannot believe in this reality that the dealer is going to sell you a car for $15k below list, and still make money. And you cannot expect to get a brand new car for $10k.. Either way, the $19k price is a great price for a new compact ELECTRIC CAR. Try to get the Bolt for that.

powersurge said:
People STILL don't get that the dealer prices that are quoted are INCLUDING the $7500 tax credit and the Nissan financing rebate. That is how they get you through the door.... They will deny this until you are sitting down with them, and you directly ask them if the quoted price is BEFORE the tax credit...

Be logical... You cannot believe in this reality that the dealer is going to sell you a car for $15k below list, and still make money. And you cannot expect to get a brand new car for $10k.. Either way, the $19k price is a great price for a new compact ELECTRIC CAR. Try to get the Bolt for that.

Actually... I am expecting to get a brand new car for LESS than $10K - simply because it's being advertised :)

See: https://www.tynansnissanaurora.com/xcel-energy-leaf-discount.html

joeriv said:
Look at the asterisks- I am sure tax and license fees are not included, so it's not an out-the-door price.

Yeah - Colorado registration fees are typically 85% of MSRP + $100. Not sure about sales tax (I'm lucky that I live in a 4.25% area). Oh and another $50 EV Colorado tax is added to ownership fees. So very roughly I'd expect about $1000-$1500 in fees and taxes on a $40,000 MSRP, a little less for $33,000.

Also, the federal rebate ($7500) is not applied at time of purchase - so one would have to add that to the "out-the-door" price too, and hopefully be able to claim the maximum amount back from the IRS come tax time next year.

However after all the dust settles, $11,500 all-in for a brand new S is a pretty sweet deal! Think I'm gonna visit the guys on Arapahoe road later today to see what SV or SL could work out to a similar number...

Thimee said:
joeriv said:
Look at the asterisks- I am sure tax and license fees are not included, so it's not an out-the-door price.

Yeah - Colorado registration fees are typically 85% of MSRP + $100. Not sure about sales tax (I'm lucky that I live in a 4.25% area). Oh and another $50 EV Colorado tax is added to ownership fees. So very roughly I'd expect about $1000-$1500 in fees and taxes on a $40,000 MSRP, a little less for $33,000.

Also, the federal rebate ($7500) is not applied at time of purchase - so one would have to add that to the "out-the-door" price too, and hopefully be able to claim the maximum amount back from the IRS come tax time next year.

However after all the dust settles, $11,500 all-in for a brand new S is a pretty sweet deal! Think I'm gonna visit the guys on Arapahoe road later today to see what SV or SL could work out to a similar number...

It is a deal worth considering ... but do keep in mind that more evidence is emerging that Nissan has changed the battery degradation thresholds for capacity bar loss and you may well be stuck with a car that rapidly degrades to ~ 42 Ahr before the Nissan battery replacement warranty kicks in. In other words, you better be comfortable with a car that is useful to you with a summer range of ~ 55 miles. This degraded range would not always be true but would represent the range nadirs in between battery replacements.

I've decided that the 24 and 30 kWh LEAF models are a luxury NEV -- neighborhood EV. Assumptions of use for longer drives are far from a given. And as a NEV, the used models are better value. A 2017 or 2013/4 car are virtually identical but the used car is cheaper to buy, has much cheaper taxes, and can be cheaper to insure since the value is low enough to do without comp insurance or at least take out a high deductible. Those were my thoughts when I first thought to buy a new LEAF early this year and then changed my mind and bought used.

Addendum: Colorado taxes, new Vs used car calc
I'm ignoring the fees that apply to both cars ..
We pay a sales tax based on MSRP that ranges form ~ 4 -7% depending on your county
We pay an 'ownership' tax (property tax) of 2.1% year 1; 1.5% year 2; 1.2% year 3; 0.9% year 4; 0.45% years 5-9 -- all on 85% of msrp

If a new car is 32k and a 3 year old used car is 8k, the difference in total taxes over 5 years of ownership will be as low as
24,000 * (0.04+0.04) = $1920
And as much as
24,000* (0.07+0.04) = $2660
Depending on county

Back