Denver -> Mt Evans Trip Report

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

remarquian

Took our '16 SV up to Mt Evans yesterday. The Trip planners (Green Race 5 and evtripplaner.com) said we would make it on one charge, but it would be close. The Nissan Web trip planner has a bug and kind of craps out half way up the mountain.

So we left yesterday at 8:30 with 27.4Kwh on the battery. We being my wife and three kids. We live by City Park. Never went above 60 going there, AC off, fan on, stereo on, ECO mode, and in B-mode. Temps were in the seventies when we left.

Stopped and had breakfast @ Idaho Springs and used Beau Jo's charger to add 8Kwh to the battery.

Made to the top with no problem with 8.9Kwh on the battery. It was a pretty day and it was crowded.

On the way down we stopped at Echo Lake and did a couple mile hike to the Idaho Springs Reservoir. We arrived again in Idaho Springs with 16Kwh, regenning 7.1 Kwh. Pretty cool.

So the upshot is we could have probably made it without charging, but it would have been close. The Green Race 5 planner came closest to accurately projecting the trip's energy usage.

Green Race 5? I am not familiar. And the Googles are not helping. Is it jurassictest? in French? Whoa, I'm a little bit over my head here. Got a better link? Thanks.

congrats on the Mt Evans trip. Very cool!

Curt

finman100 said:
Green Race 5? I am not familiar. And the Googles are not helping. Is it jurassictest? in French? Whoa, I'm a little bit over my head here. Got a better link? Thanks.

congrats on the Mt Evans trip. Very cool!

Curt
English, but metric units: http://www.jurassictest.ch/GR/

Make sure you change it to the LEAF, with the 'manage vehicles' button.

Awesome, congrats on the trip. I've wanted to do that one but Beau Jo's didn't seem very reliable the one time I charged there. Maybe it has improved?
I did Pikes' Peak last year. Hope to do it again this year.

It is a ChargePoint charger with two ports.

There was Volt charging the entire time we were charging.

How did it seem to be not reliable? (this was the first time and only time I've charged publicly).

Well I was there a year ago and not only was one spot ice'd, I kept getting ground fault errors and only received half the charge I should have. Since then I see comments on plugshare about it being decommissioned, but no issues charging so maybe that just means it is since fixed.
Did you get a full 6.x rate charge or is it shared when two plugged in?
I would love to see a L3 there with more assurance that it wouldn't get ice'd. Maybe I was just there on an exceptionally busy day, parking lot was packed.

So, yes I was getting 6K down. The Volt was plugged in, but don't know if it was charging, so I don't know if it was shared.

Now that you mention it, ChargePoint screen said something like decommissioned, which had me worried for a few second, but it charged up just fine.

And yes, based on the location of the chargers, I can see how it would get ICEd when the lots get full, tho there is a sign saying the two spots were for EV charging only.

I agree that having an L3 in Idaho Springs, Silverthorne/Frisco, Vail and Glenwood Springs, would make Leaf Travel across much of the state much more viable.

Back