Pike's Peak? Evans?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nfuzzy

I read about the Leaf from the hill climb a few years back. Just curious if anyone has taken their leaf up there and how the trip went? How about Evans? Are these doable or too much of a strain on the battery?

Nfuzzy said:
I read about the Leaf from the hill climb a few years back. Just curious if anyone has taken their leaf up there and how the trip went? How about Evans? Are these doable or too much of a strain on the battery?
Considering we live on a mountain and our LEAF has done a 4900' climb (from 1200' elevation to 6100' elevation) literally hundreds of times, it shouldn't be a problem as long as you get to the base of the mountain with enough charge.

Sometime in early 2013 the Nissan Facebook page posted a picture from a LEAF owner on the top of Pikes Peak. As I recall the driver reported getting 25% of the battery recharged due to regen on the way down.

As we live nearby I keep meaning to do this one day but haven't. However, it is possible.

Yeah it is not far from us and I could top off at mesa Rd. Only 27 miles to the peak from there. Idaho springs has L2 chargers and is only 20some miles from the peak of Evans. I have never driven either in my gas cars for fear of wear and tear but now that I went electric it is strangely tempting to me...

Nfuzzy said:
How about (Mt) Evans? Are these doable or too much of a strain on the battery?

Mt Evans I've cycled up, so driving the Leaf up would be fun, if I was still in Colorado.

Denver to Idaho Springs is only 50km and 800 meters of climb, should be easy as well, Green Race predicts about 50%. IBeau Jo’s Pizza in Idaho Springs has a charge station, according to Plugshare, and Green Race predicts about 60% of the battery used on the climb up Mt Evans. Sounds like a good lunch stop. Mt Evans to Denver, you should add a bit to the battery on the trip, GR predicts about 10%.

However, Green Race has changed a lot since I used it, so I glanced at Tony's fine range charts for a second opinion. Still looks very doable, with a pizza and charge stop, in good conditions.

http://www.jurassictest.ch/GR/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.jurassictest.ch/GR/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.yelp.com/biz/beau-jos-pizza-idaho-springs-2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks like a blast.

Another person just last week posted a pic on the Nissan LEAF Facebook page with his LEAF on top of Pike's Peak. Says he charged from his home in Manitou.

Get somebody to put a QC down there and we could have a group, Leaf hill climb. Right now that would have to be a multi-day trip for me due to lack of charging options in the springs.

AlanSqB said:
Get somebody to put a QC down there and we could have a group, Leaf hill climb. Right now that would have to be a multi-day trip for me due to lack of charging options in the springs.

There are quite a few charging options in the Springs including one of the best I have found at the Colorado Springs Utilities.

Nfuzzy said:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/seattlenissanleaf/permalink/823647604333345/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MikeinDenver said:
AlanSqB said:

There are quite a few charging options in the Springs including one of the best I have found at the Colorado Springs Utilities.

Have you found any L3? I don't see any on plug share down there. I commute to the springs about once a month and would love to take the leaf but can't find any L3 or even L2 close to a decent hotel.

AlanSqB said:
MikeinDenver said:
AlanSqB said:

Have you found any L3? I don't see any on plug share down there. I commute to the springs about once a month and would love to take the leaf but can't find any L3 or even L2 close to a decent hotel.

No L3 that I have found. Have you checked plugshare as to one near the hotel? The utilities one is on the very West side of town. Open 24x7 which is awesome. On the East side of town is that shopping center with some. There might be a hotel near there? Or you could catch a movie while it is charging. Definitely take 83 instead of 25 I would say. I did and I charged to around 85% I think at the utilities one and I made it back to my house in Eastern Centennial with plenty of charge left.

Yes, none near any of the hotels we are allowed to use. 83 is a good idea because it should allow me to use Tynans in Aurora as a waypoint for charging.

I thought about the one at the mall for a couple of hours to get a good start and then see if I can find a 5-15 at the hotel for trickle charge. Hopeful that some of these new low-cost CHAdeMO units will start to propagate down there.

We are trying to persuade the Broadmoor to put in multiple DC L3, L2's, L1's and a Tesla Supercharger. Close to the Peak too. :)

Holiday Inn Express on Powers Cinema Point by that L2. But no, no L3. The mesa rd L2 should work for tackling pike's peak.

I know others have done this before but I didn't see much in the way of details. I finally made the trip to the top of Pikes Peak today in my LEAF and it was even easier than I expected!
Topped up to 98% at mesa rd CSU which is 29 miles and just over 8000ft elevation gain from the top. Got to the toll booth at 81% and the top at 23% SOC and 9 mi on the GOM. 1.9 m/kwh at the top. Back at the bottom I had 56% SOC and 91 mi on the GOM. 3.7 mi/kwh round trip. I was a little concerned B mode wouldn't have strong enough braking but it did, and I used my brakes very little. The woman at the mandatory brake check seemed shocked at how cool my brakes were. And of course I had to laugh to myself at the ICE cars pulled over to let both engines and brakes cool down. :)
Way easier drive than in an ICE and a perfect fall day!

Back