Colorado - 2013 Tax Credit

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WMTribe90

Anybody else who purchased a 2013 Leaf in Colorado still waiting on the state tax credit/refund?

Tax website says to wait till the end of this week and then call if you still haven't received your refund. Seems excessive to have to wait four months for a refund/credit.

Just curious if others are experiencing the same issue? We did wait till close to the tax deadline to file.

WMTribe90 said:
Anybody else who purchased a 2013 Leaf in Colorado still waiting on the state tax credit/refund?

Tax website says to wait till the end of this week and then call if you still haven't received your refund. Seems excessive to have to wait four months for a refund/credit.

Just curious if others are experiencing the same issue? We did wait till close to the tax deadline to file.

I did not wait until the last minute, I filed months before. I received the tax credit, altered slightly lower to just over $6K, within a week of filing. All done online. I did have to scan and send in PDFs of the purchase agreement of the vehicle and the registration card. But that too was done electronically on their website. Smooth as butter. Federal refund arrived even quicker with the full $7500, I believe in 3 days.

2k1Toaster said:
WMTribe90 said:

I did not wait until the last minute, I filed months before. I received the tax credit, altered slightly lower to just over $6K, within a week of filing. All done online. I did have to scan and send in PDFs of the purchase agreement of the vehicle and the registration card. But that too was done electronically on their website. Smooth as butter. Federal refund arrived even quicker with the full $7500, I believe in 3 days.

Yeah, we received the full federal credit within a week or two. We filed the CO return online as well. We check the status online and that's where it said to check back if you don't receive your refund by the end of the week. Unclear if we are just in a long line or have been singled out for scrutiny due to the innovative vehicle tax credit? Thanks for the response.

I got the full credit on our 2011 LEAF, bought in 2013, in April about a month after filing. It was delayed because I forgot to provide the bill of sale and registration - once I submitted those the refund showed up quickly.

Wife spoke with someone and they confirmed that we were put on hold because they needed the bill of sale and registration. That's fine, but when exactly were they planning to let us in on the secret?

We'll submit the documents tomorrow and should get the refund shortly thereafter.

Thanks again for the responses.

WMTribe90 said:
Wife spoke with someone and they confirmed that we were put on hold because they needed the bill of sale and registration. That's fine, but when exactly were they planning to let us in on the secret?

We'll submit the documents tomorrow and should get the refund shortly thereafter.

Thanks again for the responses.

Odd. I got a letter from the Dept of Revenue about a month after filing telling me I was missing those documents. Then got an acknowledgement of receipt letter about 2 weeks later. Wonder if they have the right address for you?

Just o confirm, we did receive the full CO State Credit for our 2013 Leaf within a few weeks of submitting the additional docs. Again, not sure why we had to reach out first to find out why the hold-up. Good news, between state and federal credits, fuel, and maintenance savings the actual cost to own our Leaf is down to about $18,000. No charging infrastructure cost, since I only charge using L1.

Given my commute and anticipated battery degradation, we should get another 5 to 7 years of use from the original battery, bringing the cost of ownership down to around $12,000 (or roughly $2,000/yr to drive a new car). At that point I'd gladly pay another $4,000 to $5,000 for a battery replacement for another 6 to 8 years in the car.

WMTribe90 said:
Good news, between state and federal credits, fuel, and maintenance savings the actual cost to own our Leaf is down to about $18,000. No charging infrastructure cost, since I only charge using L1.

These days an L2 home charger usually goes in for under $1k (unless you need extra electrical work to support it), and the L2 can be amortized over more than one EV over time.

But, yes the Colorado tax credit is pretty special. I'm probably going to extend the lease (ends in November) on our 2012 LEAF, but I'm also considering buying a used 2013 or 2014 from a neighboring state and importing it for the 24% Colorado tax credit on used EVs brought into the state. For example, there is a 2013 SV premium with under 4k miles advertised in Iowa for about $19k and change - factor in bargaining to knock the price down but add in cost of shipping (maybe $600-700), then subtract $4k+ due to the Colorado tax credit and it's a real deal.

cgaydos said:
WMTribe90 said:
Good news, between state and federal credits, fuel, and maintenance savings the actual cost to own our Leaf is down to about $18,000. No charging infrastructure cost, since I only charge using L1.

These days an L2 home charger usually goes in for under $1k (unless you need extra electrical work to support it), and the L2 can be amortized over more than one EV over time.

But, yes the Colorado tax credit is pretty special. I'm probably going to extend the lease (ends in November) on our 2012 LEAF, but I'm also considering buying a used 2013 or 2014 from a neighboring state and importing it for the 24% Colorado tax credit on used EVs brought into the state. For example, there is a 2013 SV premium with under 4k miles advertised in Iowa for about $19k and change - factor in bargaining to knock the price down but add in cost of shipping (maybe $600-700), then subtract $4k+ due to the Colorado tax credit and it's a real deal.

Or less. I put my 32A OpenEVSE one in for less than $450 including all hardware.

I am confused, are people filing their credit for EV separate from their annual income tax filing?

mtndrvr said:
I am confused, are people filing their credit for EV separate from their annual income tax filing?

Here is the relevant tax publication. It takes time to read but it describes how the credit works. You can skip over everything about tax years before 2014 and for non-electric alternative fuel vehicles, assuming you're thinking of a credit for a new LEAF.

http://www.colorado.gov/cms/forms/dor-tax/Income67.pdf

Another reminder to send in the bill of sale and registration. I forgot and Turbo Tax did not tell me to do it. My return went into limbo and I did not get a letter or anything. I finally checked online and it said that they had not received it rather than that my paperwork was incomplete. I contacted the customer service folks at the Dept. of Revenue and a nice man named Nick Devereaux took my faxed into and got it through the process. They found an error in my form, that did not list a rebate and that reduced my tax credit to $4433.

Still a fine deal in all.

2013 S
Sale price $28470
- rebate 2500
- Fed Credit 7500
-State credit 4433
Net cost 14,037

mtndrvr said:
Another reminder to send in the bill of sale and registration. I forgot and Turbo Tax did not tell me to do it. My return went into limbo and I did not get a letter or anything. I finally checked online and it said that they had not received it rather than that my paperwork was incomplete. I contacted the customer service folks at the Dept. of Revenue and a nice man named Nick Devereaux took my faxed into and got it through the process. They found an error in my form, that did not list a rebate and that reduced my tax credit to $4433.

Still a fine deal in all.

2013 S
Sale price $28470
- rebate 2500
- Fed Credit 7500
-State credit 4433
Net cost 14,037

I attached my sale docs the first time as .jpg as I just took pics with my phone because the sale form is so long. After two months I followed up with them as I heard nothing. They said they couldn't see the documents but could my w2s that were .pdf files. So I converted and resent them after talking with someone on the phone. Another few weeks and no communication. Called back, oh we need your registration. Ok thanks for telling me the prior call. Sent that in then about 2-3 weeks later refund finally approved. They are not great at any sort of communication.

Back