NC Leaf Owners

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harryjpowell

Well on our first full day of ownership we took the car to the Brier Creek Car Show. Talk about fitting in. Lamborghini, Ferrari, Porsche, Corvettes and 1 Nissan Leaf. Here's our album!
DSC_0098.JPG

https://picasaweb.google.com/JustFo...authkey=Gv1sRgCOygvI7TqtPDqgE&feat=directlink

harryjpowell said:
Well on our first full day of ownership we took the car to the Brier Creek Car Show.

You need to give us a heads up next time you do something like that so we can come and drool all over your car! Very nice!

Four new L2 charging stations appeared! Two in a rest area on each side of the highway in Burlington, NC and two in a rest area on each side of Hwy 40 in Benson, NC!

All four are on the ChargePoint network map!

Its getting easier and easier to move around the state in our Leafs.

BTW Whole Foods in N.Raleigh has 4 EV parking spots/ 2 are marked handicap with two free L2 chargers, Worked great, just plugged in and went shopping and had lunch!

I'll probably be stopping by Whole Foods a lot more now. I noticed they had the charging stations on plugshare.

For those in Raleigh, I also contacted North Hills, Triangle Town Center, Crabtree Valley Mall and Cameron Village about charging stations and here are their responses:

North Hills: Charging stations are "installed" but not quite ready to be turned on. ETA is next week.
Crabtree Valley Mall: No charging stations, but they are looking to install some in "2012"
Triangle Town Center: No charging stations but they may be looking at them in the future. Keep checking back
Cameron Village: No charging stations and didn't seem particularly interested in them either

Harry, are you talking about I-40 rest stop by Benson? That's about 120 miles away from me, still need another between Wilmington and Benson in order to make Raleigh........ :)

Here's some more good news:

Progress Energy, City of Raleigh install solar-powered charging stations

https://www.progress-energy.com/com...-powered+charging+stations&pubdate=12-15-2011

The project includes two charging stations in Raleigh and connecting them to a solar photovoltaic (PV) array and battery system. When the sun is shining, the PV array produces electricity and charges either a plugged-in vehicle or the on-site battery.

I don't know if they will be open to the public though. But the release goes on to say this:

Progress Energy Carolinas and the City of Raleigh will use the two stations to charge their respective fleets of plug-in electric vehicles. Raleigh has installed 18 charging stations, nine for its fleet and nine for public use, and intends to install 15 additional public charging stations by the end of the year.

That's great news, although they're running out of time for "end of the year"! I think they are counting some stations that I would consider "private" as part of this count, such as ones at Nissan dealerships, the one at McDonalds in Cary, one at Qualcomm, etc.

Here is a link I found to an interactive map:

http://maps.raleighnc.gov/sustainableraleigh/index.html#default

harryjpowell said:
Where are the North Hills Mall chargers located?

Yeah, that would be good to know, wouldn't it! :)

They said:

They will be located outside of REI in the North State Bank parking lot

And actually as I re-read the e-mail I see it says they "anticipate full operation by the end of the week", so sounds like any time now!

Too bad it isn't available today though because I'm headed down there tonight. I was originally planning on taking the LEAF and would've charged to 100% last night so I had enough range after my wife's commute, but it sounded like there was going to be a huge crowd of us going down so we were going to take a bigger vehicle. But 2 people dropped out AND my wife had to work late tonight (not allowing a recharge) so it might be tight. A charging station would have worked out perfectly in this situation!

lpickup said:
Here's some more good news:

Progress Energy, City of Raleigh install solar-powered charging stations

https://www.progress-energy.com/com...-powered+charging+stations&pubdate=12-15-2011

The project includes two charging stations in Raleigh and connecting them to a solar photovoltaic (PV) array and battery system. When the sun is shining, the PV array produces electricity and charges either a plugged-in vehicle or the on-site battery.

I don't know if they will be open to the public though. But the release goes on to say this:

Progress Energy Carolinas and the City of Raleigh will use the two stations to charge their respective fleets of plug-in electric vehicles. Raleigh has installed 18 charging stations, nine for its fleet and nine for public use, and intends to install 15 additional public charging stations by the end of the year.

That's great news, although they're running out of time for "end of the year"! I think they are counting some stations that I would consider "private" as part of this count, such as ones at Nissan dealerships, the one at McDonalds in Cary, one at Qualcomm, etc.

Here is a link I found to an interactive map:

http://maps.raleighnc.gov/sustainableraleigh/index.html#default

Yeah, those have nothing to do with the city of Raleigh so I doubt they're included in the count. That map is out of date as well, the "green" McDonalds in Cary recently installed a L2 charger so they currently have an L1 and a L2.

lpickup said:
harryjpowell said:
Where are the North Hills Mall chargers located?

Yeah, that would be good to know, wouldn't it! :)

They said:

They will be located outside of REI in the North State Bank parking lot

And actually as I re-read the e-mail I see it says they "anticipate full operation by the end of the week", so sounds like any time now!

Too bad it isn't available today though because I'm headed down there tonight. I was originally planning on taking the LEAF and would've charged to 100% last night so I had enough range after my wife's commute, but it sounded like there was going to be a huge crowd of us going down so we were going to take a bigger vehicle. But 2 people dropped out AND my wife had to work late tonight (not allowing a recharge) so it might be tight. A charging station would have worked out perfectly in this situation!

Did you check last night to see if they were operational yet? I'm going to be there tonight.

rnkepler said:
Did you check last night to see if they were operational yet? I'm going to be there tonight.

I did see the charging stations last night and they were definitely not operational. But they were sitting there looking ready just waiting for power to be turned on. It did not look like you will need a card or anything to activate them (although hard to know for sure because they were "dark").

lpickup said:
rnkepler said:

I did see the charging stations last night and they were definitely not operational. But they were sitting there looking ready just waiting for power to be turned on. It did not look like you will need a card or anything to activate them (although hard to know for sure because they were "dark").

If they are chargepoint then you need a card which you can get for $5 on the chargepoint site. I emailed North Hills and got the following response a few minutes later:

We do have (2) EV charging stations however, they are not fully operational just yet. They are awaiting inspection by the City of Raleigh and commissioning by Progress Energy.We anticipate full operation by the middle of next week. These are level 2 stations and they are located directly outside of the REI doors in the North State Bank parking lot.

We look forward to your use of the stations.

Question for you: How did you hear about the stations?

Happy Holidays!

rnkepler said:
If they are chargepoint then you need a card which you can get for $5 on the chargepoint site.

I haven't seen a Chargepoint station in real life (only pictures) so I don't know for sure, but there wasn't any obvious place to swipe a card or anything like that. The charging stations were Eaton branded and looked pretty basic.

I got another e-mail from North Hills and the guy said he would e-mail me when they were operational. I like this guy--he is very proactive about the whole thing! I think we should all do our best to patronize North Hills (and other establishments that have taken the initiative to install charging stations).

lpickup said:
rnkepler said:
If they are chargepoint then you need a card which you can get for $5 on the chargepoint site.

I haven't seen a Chargepoint station in real life (only pictures) so I don't know for sure, but there wasn't any obvious place to swipe a card or anything like that. The charging stations were Eaton branded and looked pretty basic.

I got another e-mail from North Hills and the guy said he would e-mail me when they were operational. I like this guy--he is very proactive about the whole thing! I think we should all do our best to patronize North Hills (and other establishments that have taken the initiative to install charging stations).

Yeah, I just asked him to do the same for me and told him we'd be going to North Hills instead of Crabtree for the time being because of them.

The chargers at the Cary McDonalds are ChargePoint and there's a few others around town.

Anyone know if the Whole Foods in Cary is installing L2 chargers as well?

Here's the latest reply I got from the folks at North Hills Mall.

They are Eaton Pow-R-Station chargers and I have attached a photo for you to see. We will definitely let you now when they are operational so that you can update the database. We will also let you know when we finalize the details of an EV event we plan on having in January.

northhillsevses.jpg

If you could share some contact information for the person at North Hills, I would let him know also that I will now shop there instead of going to Crabtree. I think that we need to let them know that we appreciate the installation of the chargers and that it does make a difference where we choose to spend our money.

NuclearLeaf said:
If you could share some contact information for the person at North Hills, I would let him know also that I will now shop there instead of going to Crabtree. I think that we need to let them know that we appreciate the installation of the chargers and that it does make a difference where we choose to spend our money.

Herbert Ubbens - [email protected]

Yeah, I already told him the same thing. He's the person who responded to my request for information on the chargers on the "Contact Us" section of the North Hills mall webpage. You can either contact him directly at the email above or through the website. If you use the website some more folks than just him may get the message as well: North Hills Mall Contact Us

They are Eaton Pow-R-Station chargers and I have attached a photo for you to see. We will definitely let you now when they are operational so that you can update the database. We will also let you know when we finalize the details of an EV event we plan on having in January.
Make them accessible now, which will generate Christmas traffic for the mall.

Back