Cobb EMC Customers?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DocMoose

Any Georgia based Cobb EMC power customers out there who have checked into their peak/off-peak usage plans? I did today and it was pretty terrible. Their standard rate is .085 per kWh. On their peak/off-peak plan it's .20 peak, and .086 off-peak. The math minded among you will realize how ridiculous this sounds. I called them about it - the first person I talked to says she didn't even know they had a plan like that. The second said they were aware of it but "nobody uses it". Duh. Georgia Power seems to have it together with a 4 cent "super off-peak" rate. I was just curious as to other's experience with Cobb EMC. Unfortunately we don't have a choice in power providers. Perhaps we can lobby for a change.

Since the EMCs don't own the power generation, the rate plans they are able to provide are restrictred by the agreements they have in place for purchasing power. They may not get electricity at super low rates during off peak times in order to keep their peak rate down. Georgia Power on the other hand gets the vast majority of their generation through subsidiaries of their parent company, Southern Company. Thus if they are producing power cheap at night, they can sell it cheap at night.

I have Marietta Power and they don't offer off-peak rates at all. They told me they had only had 3 requests over the last 7 months and they have no plans to implement them.

Back