Chicagoland area

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The new 2018 Leaf looks awesome

Spotted this model x with Colorado plates at 87th and harlem
dateposted-public

https://www.flickr.com/photos/71588779@N05/37064562915/in/dateposted-public/
(forgot how to post the pic)

Looks like I’ll need to update my MNL signature, the Model 3 has indeed arrived in Chicagoland (rare glimpse charging at a local Tesla service center earlier today) ... earlier in the month, a black one was also spotted downtown. Simply gorgeous car in Pearl White Multi-coat.

IMG_0575.jpg

Last point to those who have the IL EL electric vehicle plate series -- these will typically run for 2-years at a renewal cost of $35; I just received my plate renewal in the mail from IL SOS and it was $48; no mention of an increase posted on their web site ... anyone else see something similar ? It's only $13 more but no explanation; still a decent discount over the regular $101/yr.

Last point to those who have the IL EL electric vehicle plate series -- these will typically run for 2-years at a renewal cost of $35; I just received my plate renewal in the mail from IL SOS and it was $48; no mention of an increase posted on their web site ... anyone else see something similar ? It's only $13 more but no explanation; still a decent discount over the regular $101/yr.

I received mine for $48 as well. I went to my local SOS office and inquired, and they told me it was an error on their end - $48 was the price for vanity EL plates (didn't know that was even an option?). They said they would take my $35 now and have Springfield send me my sticker, or just come back in a few weeks and it should be sorted out. I opted to come back; we shall see.

Cool - it doesn’t expire for 1+ month so good to know, could be we might see the correction if we renew online in a few weeks - thanks for doing the leg work for all of us

redLEAF said:
Cool - it doesn’t expire for 1+ month so good to know, could be we might see the correction if we renew online in a few weeks - thanks for doing the leg work for all of us

I just got mine and it says $35. Yay! But vanity EL plates???? hmmmmmmmmm..... intriguing! 0 GAS EL or 0 OIL EL

djkjmuoh said:
redLEAF said:

I just got mine and it says $35. Yay! But vanity EL plates???? hmmmmmmmmm..... intriguing! 0 GAS EL or 0 OIL EL

Looks like I’ll need to go to IL SOS office, they sent me a reminder via email yesterday and it still added the extra $13, as I typically have a day off during the week and we have one close by not an issue - it’s only $13 but if not corrected I’m sure the next one would have it again!

redLEAF said:
Quick update on Illinois 'EL' plate sightings ... drum roll please ... the 7000 plateau has been reached by a Chevy Bolt !

New Chevy Bolt sporting plate 7004 EL was spotted in the North Shore area of Chicago 'burbs yesterday; once Tesla Model 3's start showing up would imagine that we'll quickly pass the 8000 mark as well .. my prediction that we would see this level by August came true ! Of course its simply one data element as we see vanity and 'regular' plates on IL EV's as well.

Illinois EL plates sighted recently passed the 7600 mark (lately all 7K+ numbered plates I've seen have been on Tesla's - go figure?); anyone see anything higher?

I would wonder how much longer (you know they'll change it --- state is looking to boost revenues) they'll offer these discounted plates to cars that don't pay any gas taxes ... the EL plates are the last incentive that is still offered in Chicagoland; we saw the demise of the IL EV 10% rebate along with the 50% EVSE one; IL must think that the local market is simply saturated with EV owners (not)

redLEAF said:
redLEAF said:
Quick update on Illinois 'EL' plate sightings ... drum roll please ... the 7000 plateau has been reached by a Chevy Bolt !

New Chevy Bolt sporting plate 7004 EL was spotted in the North Shore area of Chicago 'burbs yesterday; once Tesla Model 3's start showing up would imagine that we'll quickly pass the 8000 mark as well .. my prediction that we would see this level by August came true ! Of course its simply one data element as we see vanity and 'regular' plates on IL EV's as well.

Illinois EL plates sighted recently passed the 7600 mark (lately all 7K+ numbered plates I've seen have been on Tesla's - go figure?); anyone see anything higher?

I would wonder how much longer (you know they'll change it --- state is looking to boost revenues) they'll offer these discounted plates to cars that don't pay any gas taxes ... the EL plates are the last incentive that is still offered in Chicagoland; we saw the demise of the IL EV 10% rebate along with the 50% EVSE one; IL must think that the local market is simply saturated with EV owners (not)

8000 mark has been passed -- saw 8054 EL just last week -- was on a Tesla Model S, so that's about 3 months and about 400 or so new EV's (again, not an exact science; some IL new EV owners get one of the many special issue or vanity plates, etc.). Let's see how fast we get to the 9000 level.

Also went to the Chicago Auto Show to check out the new EV's -- Nissan did have the new LEAF, an improvement over the first gen; no VW e-Golf but Chevy had 2 Bolt's -- one with cloth base seats and one with the higher trim level -- quite utilitarian but fairly anonymous in styling. Also checked out the PHEV Mitsubishi Outlander -- it was in a rather unusual brown metallic color and priced in the mid $40K range (22 miles of EV range ??). What was more interesting is that the PHEV's from most manufacturers simply did NOT indicate 100% electric range anywhere -- for the price premium over all-gas its almost an afterthought and I guess not important !!

On a side note (and great timing) Tesla now has a Model 3 that you can check out in-person (no test drives yet) at their downtown Gold Coast location -- in red no less; link to store location as well as a fan post from another forum

https://www.tesla.com/findus/location/store/chicagogoldcoast

https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/tesla-gold-coast-model-3-display.5940/

You must have made a similar days adventure as I did. Went to the Auto Show.. then lunch... then Tesla Gold Coast. Pretty awesome! Seeing the Model 3 was awesome for me and the highlight of my day as I'm a Day 1 Reservation holder who waited since 6am and was about 15-20th in line at OakBrook. I also saw the LEAF at Al Piemonte Nissan days before and was more impressed with the one they had on display as it wasn't tainted with the ProPilot advertisement paint on the side of the doors. See my pics at... https://www.facebook.com/KevinBarkerDJKJchicago/posts/10212807539237461?pnref=story

and

https://www.facebook.com/KevinBarkerDJKJchicago/posts/10212781764193101?pnref=story

redLEAF said:
redLEAF said:
redLEAF said:

8000 mark has been passed -- saw 8054 EL just last week -- was on a Tesla Model S, so that's about 3 months and about 400 or so new EV's (again, not an exact science; some IL new EV owners get one of the many special issue or vanity plates, etc.). Let's see how fast we get to the 9000 level.

Also went to the Chicago Auto Show to check out the new EV's -- Nissan did have the new LEAF, an improvement over the first gen; no VW e-Golf but Chevy had 2 Bolt's -- one with cloth base seats and one with the higher trim level -- quite utilitarian but fairly anonymous in styling. Also checked out the PHEV Mitsubishi Outlander -- it was in a rather unusual brown metallic color and priced in the mid $40K range (22 miles of EV range ??). What was more interesting is that the PHEV's from most manufacturers simply did NOT indicate 100% electric range anywhere -- for the price premium over all-gas its almost an afterthought and I guess not important !!

On a side note (and great timing) Tesla now has a Model 3 that you can check out in-person (no test drives yet) at their downtown Gold Coast location -- in red no less; link to store location as well as a fan post from another forum

https://www.tesla.com/findus/location/store/chicagogoldcoast

https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/tesla-gold-coast-model-3-display.5940/

redLEAF said:
redLEAF said:
redLEAF said:

That didn't last long --- most Model 3's I've seen 'in the wild' (only a very few) have all sported the yellow paper temp tags issued in IL -- saw a blue one yesterday that had an EL plate quickly approaching 8200 mark -- let's see how quick we get to 9000

Do they let you sit in the Model 3? We have a day 1 reservation but most likely are buying the Honda Clarity as we don't want to wait a year. Our other concern is that my husband may be too tall for the 3. He's too tall for the Volt, Volvo, and Prius.

r1234567 said:
Do they let you sit in the Model 3? We have a day 1 reservation but most likely are buying the Honda Clarity as we don't want to wait a year. Our other concern is that my husband may be too tall for the 3. He's too tall for the Volt, Volvo, and Prius.

If by "THEY" you mean Tesla and if by this post you mean "Does the Tesla store let you sit in the Model 3 if you visit the Gold Coast Location that has one on display?" Then the answer is yes! :). Sit in, open doors, frunks, and trunks, play with the screen, have a ball!

oz10k said:
Just got my plates, 9201.

Any places you recommend for service, or recommend avoiding? I'm open to dealerships or independent shops.

Thanks,
Ron

Congrats on the LEAF, actually came across another new Tesla, this time a Model X with 98xx EL plate so 10000 can’t be far away. As far as service, EV’s don’t need much - I believe your LEAF still needs the annual traction battery check at a Nissan dealer, not all of them will service them so check your local before assuming. While I had mine for 5 years only replaced the OEM tires as most others have - favorite tire shop did that, otherwise the Nissan dealer I bought it from did the annual battery check - first 3 were free. Best of luck with it !

redLEAF said:
oz10k said:

Any places you recommend for service, or recommend avoiding? I'm open to dealerships or independent shops.

Thanks,
Ron

Congrats on the LEAF, actually came across another new Tesla, this time a Model X with 98xx EL plate so 10000 can’t be far away. As far as service, EV’s don’t need much - I believe your LEAF still needs the annual traction battery check at a Nissan dealer, not all of them will service them so check your local before assuming. While I had mine for 5 years only replaced the OEM tires as most others have - favorite tire shop did that, otherwise the Nissan dealer I bought it from did the annual battery check - first 3 were free. Best of luck with it !

Yeah... service???? What's that? LOL. Go to the dealership and hunt for dealer coupons online or via their service department e-mail lists. I find dealer coupons for tire rotations occasionally for $9.95 - $19.95 and some other dealer service coupons for "$10 off or $15 off any service." It's funny since the service is not going to cost much anyway (at most a cabin air filter for like $69. You can tell they don't think about the LEAF when issuing those coupons but there's usually no "fine print" disclaimers.

redLEAF said:
oz10k said:

Thanks,
Ron

IL passed the 10000 EL plate mark it looks like towards the end of Sept -- not surprised it was on a Tesla Model 3; plate 10018 -- expect to see many more as have been passing a lot of M3's with IL yellow temp tags lately; its been great to see the increases in EV's in the Midwest despite the lack of local incentives (other than these 'EL' plates) -- I'm sure others have seen higher numbers as well by now

just got my model 3 last week. I love it. It's got temp tags until my old (3067EL) tags get transferred.

After 75,000 miles I'm going to miss my sweet Leaf, I've enjoyed driving it all those years.

redLEAF said:
redLEAF said:
oz10k said:

Thanks,
Ron

IL passed the 10000 EL plate mark it looks like towards the end of Sept -- not surprised it was on a Tesla Model 3; plate 10018 -- expect to see many more as have been passing a lot of M3's with IL yellow temp tags lately; its been great to see the increases in EV's in the Midwest despite the lack of local incentives (other than these 'EL' plates) -- I'm sure others have seen higher numbers as well by now

Just 20 more days and saw a few more 'EL' plates now above the 10150 level ... 2 Model 3's and a Model S; makes you wonder how long IL will keep the price down; as all of these renew 12/2019 will be interesting to see just how many new EV reservations get added before then. In the last 6 months have only really seen a single new body style LEAF on the road but appears to be LOTS of used ones (can tell by Carmax stickers and/or other non-Nissan license frames) out and about -- count could be off as most EV's coming off lease in IL don't get to transfer their EL plates to another car unless they get permission from the leasing company and simply don't bother with the hassle (just like the car, the person leasing doesn't own the right to the plate either unless they of course buy the car at lease end).

Back