LEAF in Kansas City

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ericvoll said:
So, guess what happened today.

Car showed 12 bars of charge and only 11 bars of capacity. I'm at ~24,400 miles, and I've lost my first capacity bar. 90% of my charging has been only to 80% capacity, and I've received two battery reports with 5 stars throughout.

Say it ain't so!! :shock:
It's about that time for those of us with 2012s. I checked my battery health with LEAF Spy recently and it's at 86%. I hear at 85% I lose the first bar and I'm only at 14k miles. Still has the range I need though.

BTW, I think I saw your car at Hyvee (72nd and Rt 1) a week or so ago.

MobileEV said:
ericvoll said:
So, guess what happened today.

Car showed 12 bars of charge and only 11 bars of capacity. I'm at ~24,400 miles, and I've lost my first capacity bar. 90% of my charging has been only to 80% capacity, and I've received two battery reports with 5 stars throughout.

Say it ain't so!! :shock:
It's about that time for those of us with 2012s. I checked my battery health with LEAF Spy recently and it's at 86%. I hear at 85% I lose the first bar and I'm only at 14k miles. Still has the range I need though.

BTW, I think I saw your car at Hyvee (72nd and Rt 1) a week or so ago.

Oh, bummer! Another bar loss. I guess it's inevitable. :cry: Eric, from what I've read, that charging protocol isn't really making much difference in capacity losses. The 5 Star reports aren't saying much, either. My car is at 17.6K miles and I figure a loss is coming soon, just from age. :| Currently, I'm intermittently seeing only 9 fuel bars displayed after the 80% charge completes in the morning. This might be a cell balancing issue. I know I'll be just as disappointed as Eric and Tom when I experience an 11 capacity bar display the first time. I'm clinging to the fantasy that my car will magically avoid ever losing any capacity bars! :lol: We can toast the bar losers when we get together for a fall LEAF fest. Is anyone else having grabby/slipping brakes? Getting pretty tired of it the last few months. :evil: Turning off traction control seems to make it go away (it's automatically back on when you restart the car).

Brakes seem to be worse when wet or if the battery is cold. It's been pretty good for me these last few months but sometimes with the whole family in the car it gets grabby all of a sudden. I agree with Kathy and from Stoaty's predictions we're seeing age on the battery and it's the difference in driving that's affecting the extra months between bar loss.

Leaf Question:

Since I lost a capacity bar, I've noticed something odd. When I fully charge my LEAF to 100%, the display shows all 12 bars of charge, but still only 11 capacity bars. Is this normal?

ericvoll said:
Leaf Question:

Since I lost a capacity bar, I've noticed something odd. When I fully charge my LEAF to 100%, the display shows all 12 bars of charge, but still only 11 capacity bars. Is this normal?
Yes. The SoC bars show what % of the total current usable capacity you're charged to, while the capacity bars show what % of the battery's total original usable capacity it has left when fully charged. Any time you've fully charged the battery you'll see all 12 SoC bars, regardless of what that represents in kilowatt-hours of capacity that your battery has. So theoretically, if your battery had lost all but 1 kWh of its original capacity but you fully charged it, you'd be seeing all 12 SoC bars for the full charge, but only 1 (or perhaps no) capacity bars to represent that your battery has lost almost all its original capacity.

We are looking at installing another EVSE at my work location, and in the investigation process, the following info came up to possibly reduce the total installed cost in Missouri. Maybe this can help someone who doesn't have an EVSE installed yet:

Alternative Fueling Infrastructure Tax Credit

For tax years beginning on or after January 1, 2015, an income tax credit is available for the cost of constructing a qualified alternative fueling station. The credit is 20% of the costs directly associated with the purchase and installation of any alternative fuel storage and dispensing equipment or electric vehicle supply equipment (EVSE), up to $15,000 for individuals or $20,000 for businesses. Tax credits may be carried forward for two years and may be transferred or sold, but will be forfeited if a tax credit recipient stops dispensing alternative fuel or electricity for vehicle charging. Eligible fuels include any mixture of biodiesel and diesel fuel, as well as fuel containing at least 70% of the following alternative fuels: ethanol, compressed natural gas (CNG), liquefied natural gas (LNG), liquefied petroleum gas or propane, hydrogen, and electricity. This tax credit expires on January 1, 2018. (Reference Senate Bill 729, 2014, and Missouri Revised Statutes 135.710 - http://www.moga.mo.gov/indexnew.html)

With my LEAF approaching 15k miles and finally a bit of time to myself, I dug into the cabin filter replacement. Having busted my knuckles on my share of VW Vanagon and Westfalia projects, I have to say this one was relatively easy.

This link has the basics: http://sfbayleafs.org/technical/diys/leaf-cabin-air-filter-replacement/, but a few more notes:

From what I had read, the filter can be replaced by reaching through the opening in the glove box without actually dropping the glove box, but I would argue that if you haven't done it before, go for the glove box removal. The reason is that once your hand is in the small opening, you can't see anything any more, so you don't have a clear picture of what you're doing unless you've done it before. Also, it's much easier to manipulate the filter into place when you have all the space to maneuver

The TYC 800138P filter that I bought on eBay has instructions for the Nissan Juke, so the number of screws to remove the glove box was different than the Juke.

Here are a few more pictures with captions:

https://plus.google.com/photos/1082...ms/6066874861587529825?authkey=CIbJkqalp8HTGA

I had no trouble removing the filter cover without danger of snapping off the latch. Getting it to hook back on the top when reseating was a bit trickier, but still doable with a few tries.

Finally, a shameless plug for the little magnetic LED work light from Harbor Freight. http://www.harborfreight.com/27-led-portable-worklight-flashlight-67227.html If you get their email newsletter, they sometimes have a "super coupon" to get it for free with another purchase. We have a store here in the Northland (Barry Rd...not far from the Price Chopper with the EVSE) or you can mail order.

Soooooo...those of you who have been wanting a tech meeting, I can now help you change yours with confidence.

MobileEV said:
We are looking at installing another EVSE at my work location, and in the investigation process, the following info came up to possibly reduce the total installed cost in Missouri. Maybe this can help someone who doesn't have an EVSE installed yet:

Alternative Fueling Infrastructure Tax Credit

For tax years beginning on or after January 1, 2015, an income tax credit is available for the cost of constructing a qualified alternative fueling station. The credit is 20% of the costs directly associated with the purchase and installation of any alternative fuel storage and dispensing equipment or electric vehicle supply equipment (EVSE), up to $15,000 for individuals or $20,000 for businesses. Tax credits may be carried forward for two years and may be transferred or sold, but will be forfeited if a tax credit recipient stops dispensing alternative fuel or electricity for vehicle charging. Eligible fuels include any mixture of biodiesel and diesel fuel, as well as fuel containing at least 70% of the following alternative fuels: ethanol, compressed natural gas (CNG), liquefied natural gas (LNG), liquefied petroleum gas or propane, hydrogen, and electricity. This tax credit expires on January 1, 2018. (Reference Senate Bill 729, 2014, and Missouri Revised Statutes 135.710 - http://www.moga.mo.gov/indexnew.html)

Very cool. I keep trying to get one or more installed at work. I have at least three other coworkers that have electric vehicles. Unfortunately, one of our other locations spent quite a lot a few years back to install charging stations (when the technology was relatively new) which then went unused, so they are understandably hesitant. On the other hand, we have lots of 110 outlets in our parking garage, and our facilities department has been very nice and allows us to plug in.

So I got new tires yesterday. Goodyear Fuel Max. The car doesn't really feel like it's driving differently but mentally I'm sooo happy now. I realized I was kinda worried every time I drove because the tires were so bad.

I don't want to say the grabby brakes are influenced by tires but I haven't had a grabby brake episode since I got the new tires and I totally expected one with the rain we've had.

Hey, KC Leafers....

I have been crazy busy and pre-occupied with other stuff, but hows about one last shot at a Fall Leaf gathering!!!

I have time Nov 1 or Nov 2 to host. Would plan for say 4 PM, unless other suggestions are made. I have plenty of burgers, buns, condiments, and beverages. Someone could perhaps bring some chips, potato salad, salad of any choice. Whatever floats your boat and you can come without bringing ANYTHING.....

I would dearly love to LeafSpy my car, but ALAS -- today I lost a capacity bar at 23k miles, so I know pretty much now where I stand........ But we can collectively cry on each others shoulders perhaps!!!

I would be happy to rotate anyone's tires if they would like -- I have a pretty decent little routine down to rotate them! Karl might be willing to demonstrate cabin filter swaps too!

For folks that did not come last year, I'll happily give a tour of my solar system too...

Please post up if you can come. Failing to find a decent quorum by say a week from now, will probably make me decide to cancel the idea out......

Please post up if you want to come, or ideally also RSVP Regrets so that I can decide relatively soon if these dates are going to work....

At this point, we have 4 folks able to come on Nov 2, so I am leaning in that direction, as much as its not the best for Karl. Would like to meet Tom, as I recall he was unable to come last year, and he cannot make Nov 1.

I am very amenable to other suggestions too. My location is obviously a bit far north, but anyone that needs charging can do so. I have two EVSEs and if you brought your own, I think I have enough 220v plugs to plugs 5 or six cars at once if we were creative!!!

Like I said -- I will supply burgers (both beef and pork/venison mix, later is alleged to taste like a sirloin burger). Brats if anyone wants one. I do a pretty decent grilled chicken breast too, and I have some veggie burgers that my vegetarian daughter likes. I'll take care of beverages and ice. I am all ears to other suggestions too.....

I'm pretty sure I can still make it. Let us know the time and place, please. If you'd rather not post publicly, maybe PMs.

Any of the food sounds good to me. Let us know if we can contribute to a pot luck.

For those who want to do a cabin filter replacement, pick one up before the event and we'll slap it in. With one week, you might still have time to mail order. Here's one similar to what I bought on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cabin-Air-Filter-TYC-800138P-fits-11-14-Nissan-Juke-1-6L-L4-/171481470415?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3ANissan%7CModel%3ALeaf&hash=item27ed1795cf&vxp=mtr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Note that the eBay ad only says 2011-2012...not sure if the 2013 up are different.

I have one spare for $8 I can bring. First come, first served. :)

TTFN,

Karl

OK! Lets do this!

Address: 8324 NW Mace Rd
Parkville MO 64152

Basically, most of you I think will come down Barry Rd, headed west from Zona Rosa and I-29. 1.4 miles to be exact from I-29. Mace Rd takes off to the south, left from Barry. We are another 250 feet or so, down Mace, on the West (right side headed south) side of the road, off of the road a bit. Behind the white fence.

Feel free to bring a side dish, or nothing at all, your choice. I will minimally have burgers, chicken, brats, potato salad and baked beans (my favorites!!) and drinks. My wife will likely insist on something healthy too!!

4 PM I think is OK. Jet play Chiefs at Arrowhead at 12 noon, so for those of us that watch football, 4 works I think. It will get dark at 5:30 or so, and if the weather is nasty, we'll retreat to the house or garage to gossip about Leafs, electric cars, etc.....

My phone number is 8one6 - 65four - 3one46 cell. call or text if you need anything or get lost!!

Back