Chicagoland area

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thought I would drop by the Chicagoland forum to share my first beyond-range road trip from Oak Park, IL to Milwaukee, WI. I strove to make the entire trip free of paying for charges. Almost did it....

This past Saturday 4/5/14 I had my LEAF plugged in at work in the Holley Ct. garage in Oak Park, IL until I departed at about 5pm. I left with 100% SOC. Being late on a Saturday, I knew the Rosen Nissan Dealership in Gurnee, IL was to be closed by the time I would arrive and would thus lose the opportunity to check out and utilize their L3 DC Quick Charger. This was actually fine by me for two reasons... one, I was only about 4-5 bars short from a full 12 by Gurnee and two, I kinda needed a nap after an 8 hour Saturday work shift on 6 hours of sleep.

That said, I continued on, at about 60mph on cruise control like I had most of the trip, toward the free charger in Pleasant Prairie at the Gateway Technical College - Horizon Center. I knew if this station didn't work for some reason, I would still have enough to make it back to Gurnee Mills Mall where I'd have to pay to charge. The station worked fine and I charged while napping for about 52 minutes. Afterwards, I carried on toward Milwaukee knowing there was a AAA charge station toward the outskirts of the city limits if I couldn't make it all the way to my charging destination at Schlitz Park which is walking distance from my friends house where I would be staying the night. Stress free, I made it easily to Schlitz Park and found a VOLT plugged into it's only J1772 cord. It was finished however, so I left a note, unplugged it and charged overnight with no issues. Even moved my car into my buddies parking garage after our night out once it was finished charging.

The next morning we went to breakfast at Cafe Hollander (I highly recommend, but be ready for a wait on a Sunday) which is nearby two soon-to-be working DCQC stations at the UW-Milwaukee Campus. We drove by one and I documented it's status on PlugShare, I assume the other is in similar construction phase status but don't know for sure. After breakfast he drove me back to my car, and I departed toward home planning to charge either at a free station in Gurnee called WindFree on Plugshare or at Gurnee Mills if I had to pay. After arriving at the really deserted barn shaped strip-mall where the free charger was located in the rear, I charged for about a half hour while taking pics and posting on PlugShare. It was terribly boring and nothing around whatsoever. I only charged so long because, in my quest to remain free from paying, I opted to gain enough range to head toward ABT Electronics in Glenview. Figured I could shop and charge for free!

ABT on the weekends is like a MADHOUSE! Both EV parking spots were taken... one by an ICE Mercedes (BOOOOOO) and the other by a Plug-In C-Max Energei which had the charge port open but no plug inserted (also BOOOO.) Funny thing was, there was a Tesla right across from it too in a regular spot. I tried parking between the handicap space and the curb but the plug wouldn't reach and thus decided to head to Golf Mill Mall. Unfortunately, here's where I had to pay. :-(

Charging at Golf Mill Mall is $2/ hour but I needed a bathroom break and something to do as well as a charge by this point. Golf Mill Mall sucks, however, and thus I just walked into a few stores and decided to leave the mall and go to Panera Bread across the street since I was hungry and had time to kill. After a whopping $2.42 of charge time, I left but not before 2 nice passers by stopped me as I was unplugging and had about a 10 minute Q/A conversation with me about EV's.

Making it home to Glendale Heights was really no problem after this and I just clipped the Low Battery Warning arriving with between 10-17%. All in all, I would say it was a success.

P.S. I wrote to ABT Electronics about my experience and gave them more than several suggestions on how to avoid this from happening. I received a call from the store manager the very next day and they said they were sorry this happened and that it was the first time they knew of it happening, and that they would take all of my suggestions into consideration. Was very nice to hear as I LOVE that store and really wished that was where I spent my hour!

Great post.
I have used the gateway technical college charger before to get from Chicago to Waukesha in 0 degree weather.

Next time you do the trek, there are a couple l2 stations on hwy 41 and it is 4 miles shorter than 94 and during not so busy times can average 50 mph.

Great post.
I have used the gateway technical college charger before to get from Chicago to Waukesha in 0 degree weather.

Next time you do the trek, there are a couple l2 stations on hwy 41 and it is 4 miles shorter than 94 and during not so busy times can average 50 mph.

New owner from Schaumburg!! I picked up a white 2013 sl from woodfield Nissan last night. My wife tried looking for a charger station after we left the dealership through the navigation with no luck. I think she tried a walgreens and whole foods but they weren't there. They gave us a full battery so it wasn't a big deal. Just wanted to check out local stations.

Chicagowin said:
New owner from Schaumburg!! I picked up a white 2013 sl from woodfield Nissan last night. My wife tried looking for a charger station after we left the dealership through the navigation with no luck. I think she tried a walgreens and whole foods but they weren't there. They gave us a full battery so it wasn't a big deal. Just wanted to check out local stations.
Congratulations!! You will get to know where the stations are and if they are working or not.

Is the '13 new or used? Leased or owned?

Are you going to charge at home on 110 or 220?

greengate said:
Chicagowin said:
Congratulations!! You will get to know where the stations are and if they are working or not.

I've found that PlugShare is the most reliable source of information for knowing whether or not a charger is up and working. Whole Foods has turned theirs off but they want to have EV chargers. I talked to the management and they said that they had to turn them off because they cannot get service for them anymore. They indicated that they will have them again as soon as they can find a company to support them.

greengate said:
Chicagowin said:

It's a 13' with 52 miles. I'm leasing it. As far as charging in not really sure about having a home charger installed yet. I'm leaning towards it. There are charging stations at my work that I see volts plugged into. Is chargepoint something I need to sign up for to use charging stations?

Unless you're planning to go for a long drive, come home to recharge, and go out again the same day I don't see the need for a charging station at home. If you come home and park overnight for 12 hours you should be able to fully recharge at 110 most every day. Of course, that depends on how many miles your daily round trip is.

I completely second the vote for the app PlugShare (or the website plugshare.com I suppose!) If I could buy stock in the company, I would like I did with Tesla. I almost always check in at stations I haven't used before. I update the check-in with a photo and description whenever possible or if one is not already present. I also suggest, when you have time, to stop by others you pass by, using them or not, and do the same... you may need the info or someone else may benefit from it later on!

I bought a 220v Level II home charging station because of the IL 50% rebate and the US 30% tax credit. Both of those have expired I believe, the IL one as of today actually, so that may influence your decision. I can say, having one is absolutely wonderful. Though you can plug into a regular outlet overnight, should you ever need to run in and out, the 220v really makes a big difference! You will assess your need for that as time passes though... but all it takes is once where your stuck and kicking yourself, IMO.

As for ChargePoint, I would also highly suggest registering for it. You can do a basic membership which is free and allows you to use only the free stations, or you can pre-load a card with $25 and have access to all stations. Pretty sure they auto-refill similar to I-Pass once low, by adding another $25. In 9 months of having mine, I haven't used all of the $25 but am down below $10. I just figure, why not have it for only $25?

Good luck with your new ride! Glad to hear you got the SL too!

Chicagowin said:
greengate said:
Chicagowin said:

It's a 13' with 52 miles. I'm leasing it. As far as charging in not really sure about having a home charger installed yet. I'm leaning towards it. There are charging stations at my work that I see volts plugged into. Is chargepoint something I need to sign up for to use charging stations?

I drove past 2 charging stations in my area, one was at a Wyndham hotel and one was a BMW dealer. It looked like you needed to access through chargepoint to plug it in. The BMW dealer was definitely free, I'm not positive of the Wyndham. I wish this is something the dealer could have told me about when getting the car. I thought it as easy as just plugging it in or swiping a credit card for the ones that charge. Oh well, not a big deal.

As for the charging station it's looking like a good idea since my wife has taken a real liking to the leaf. I've got to do some research, but the ones at homedepot got good reviews and are affordable.

Chicagowin said:
I drove past 2 charging stations in my area, one was at a Wyndham hotel and one was a BMW dealer. It looked like you needed to access through chargepoint to plug it in. The BMW dealer was definitely free, I'm not positive of the Wyndham. I wish this is something the dealer could have told me about when getting the car. I thought it as easy as just plugging it in or swiping a credit card for the ones that charge. Oh well, not a big deal.

As for the charging station it's looking like a good idea since my wife has taken a real liking to the leaf. I've got to do some research, but the ones at homedepot got good reviews and are affordable.

I have the Schneider Electric EVLink home charging station and it has been great so far. If you have the SL, then you should have the 6.6kw charger in your LEAF and thus make sure you get a 30amp model to maximize how fast it charges. The 16amp ones are still fast and a little cheaper but the speed of charge is nice to have if you ask me. As for the dealers... honestly they know NOTHING unless you get lucky. I have noticed they are always accommodating if you call ahead and need a charge so that instantly increases the number of available charging stations (and free ones too!) Just never EXPECT it to be available, nor assume they should let you charge there. Good luck.

djkjmuoh said:
Chicagowin said:

I have the Schneider Electric EVLink home charging station and it has been great so far. If you have the SL, then you should have the 6.6kw charger in your LEAF and thus make sure you get a 30amp model to maximize how fast it charges. The 16amp ones are still fast and a little cheaper but the speed of charge is nice to have if you ask me. As for the dealers... honestly they know NOTHING unless you get lucky. I have noticed they are always accommodating if you call ahead and need a charge so that instantly increases the number of available charging stations (and free ones too!) Just never EXPECT it to be available, nor assume they should let you charge there. Good luck.

That's true. The dealers are there to move cars out the door. I like the Tesla model much better where they also control the charging infrastructure, but I don't have $75,000 to drop on a car. :) As for charging station reliability...I use Plug Share to get user feedback, but I use ChargePoint to get real-time station status, and it's pretty reliable IF it's a station on the ChargePoint network. If the station shows up on the ChargePoint website or app I would only trust the information about that station if it's identified as one of theirs.

I have used the free ChargePoint stations at Abt Electronics, and I can always check the status before I get there to see if either of the 2 are available. Also there are 2 free ChargePoint stations at the Yellow Line Oakton stop in Skokie....just FYI.

brianchi73 said:
djkjmuoh said:
Chicagowin said:

That's true. The dealers are there to move cars out the door. I like the Tesla model much better where they also control the charging infrastructure, but I don't have $75,000 to drop on a car. :) As for charging station reliability...I use Plug Share to get user feedback, but I use ChargePoint to get real-time station status, and it's pretty reliable IF it's a station on the ChargePoint network. If the station shows up on the ChargePoint website or app I would only trust the information about that station if it's identified as one of theirs.

I have used the free ChargePoint stations at Abt Electronics, and I can always check the status before I get there to see if either of the 2 are available. Also there are 2 free ChargePoint stations at the Yellow Line Oakton stop in Skokie....just FYI.

True about the ChargePoint app being nice to see if a station is in use or not... only other issue, that I encountered at ABT Electronics, is that neither of the stations appeared "in use" but both parking spaces were occupied and not in use! Still the app is nice, but have a backup plan. :)

Just so you know, I've been to ABT at 10 p.m. on Sunday and the station is available. No problem with access or being blocked by ICE cars when the store is closed. :) I'm just sayin' if you're on the road in any emergency it's available.

Chicagowin said:

Congrats! I'm in Schaumburg too, we got our red 2013 leaf from Greg at woodfield Nissan last year.

I bolted together my own openevse and had an electrician wire up the 240 volt circuit to the garage. Note: Illinois will rebate you some percentage of the charging equipment cost but: it must be a commercial evse, and you must have a 240 volt circuit installed, they won't rebate just one or the other and they won't rebate a DIY evse. In hindsight not sure if I still would have wanted a commercial unit, the openevse I think is superior to most out there and it was fun to build.

Perhaps in another dimension.....
My CARWINGS tells me there is a charging station at 2700 Lake Cook Road, Long Grove, Il..
It seems to be a false location.
It is a Menard's parking lot and the navigation will tell me I have arrived at my destination.
Anyone know anything about this?

There are 120 VAC outlets on a few islands in the lot if you hunt for them. Menard's has plugged some Holiday lights into them in December but I wouldn't call that a charging station.
Is there a place to report such things to Nissan?

OldQuadDog said:
Perhaps in another dimension.....
My CARWINGS tells me there is a charging station at 2700 Lake Cook Road, Long Grove, Il..
It seems to be a false location.
It is a Menard's parking lot and the navigation will tell me I have arrived at my destination.
Anyone know anything about this?

There are 120 VAC outlets on a few islands in the lot if you hunt for them. Menard's has plugged some Holiday lights into them in December but I wouldn't call that a charging station.
Is there a place to report such things to Nissan?

Try the PlugShare app or website. It is much more reliable.

I do use PlugShare and trust it more!
For reasons exactly like this.
Just want to help anyone who might use the Nav system from driving out to a non-existent charger and then potentially getting stranded. I sent an email to Nissan but who knows if it will get properly directed.

I've found the dealers to vary greatly. M'Lady won't allow anyone but those who buy from them. I called ahead to Bill Kay in DG when I was out that way and they couldn't have been nicer. My friend had a similar experience at Arlington Nissan who also allowed her to top off her car.

Like everyone else in the thread, I wish there were more stations not charged to dealerships so I can venture out more on the weekends.

Please report outages here. http://www.afdc.energy.gov/fuels/electricity_locations.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have reported outages at this url, and I've had someone contact me about my report. I think that the CarWings info is driven off of updates from this source. I also was able to get two L2 chargers and one L3 charger activated (at Golf Mill Mall and PNC Bank) after reporting them on this website.

Good luck!

Back