How much does it cost to install level 2 charger at home?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allsold

I'm wondering how much does it cost to install level 2 indoor charger at home? any one can recommend me a installer?

im in surrey bc

thanks a lot!

Are you doing the work or paying someone to do it? Do you have to pull a permit to have it installed? Are you buying the materials? Do you already have the charger?

CWO4Mann said:
If you have the charger, you get an electrician here in my area tomhookmit up for $50 if i pull the permit myself ($12.50 fee). YMMV.

are you in BC canada? I'm going to get the charger to have someone install it for me, I need to apply for a permit to get it installed?

It depends a lot on what wiring you already have. Do you have a 240 volt circuit existing to where you will be installing the charger? If you do, and it has an outlet there, all you need to do is get an EVSE that has a matching plug (see the Clipper Creek website for some). You hang it on the wall, plug it in, and you are done.

If you don't have a circuit, you need an electrician to install one. Then it depends on distance to your power panel, capabilities of your power panel, etc.

I bought the Clipper Creek Level 2 charger with the 14-50 plug and then had an electrician wire it. He charged me $450 as it required installing the breaker in the panel, running the wire to the garage and then installing the plug. I simply hung the Clipper Creek unit and plugged it in.

That might be a touch expensive as the guy was a commercial electrician but he was curious about the electric car so came and dig the job. I'm in Calgary where trades can be expensive - just getting a guy to do the job was good enough for me.

As for the Clipper Creek ESVE, i've had no problems with it. It sits in the front of my garage and the cable runs up through some carabiners and then down in front of the Leaf. I also have the holster mounted on the side of the garage when its not plugged into the car.

coldcowboy said:
As for the Clipper Creek ESVE, i've had no problems with it. It sits in the front of my garage and the cable runs up through some carabiners and then down in front of the Leaf.
Good idea to eliminate the trip hazard.

allsold said:
CWO4Mann said:
If you have the charger, you get an electrician here in my area tomhookmit up for $50 if i pull the permit myself ($12.50 fee). YMMV.

are you in BC canada? I'm going to get the charger to have someone install it for me, I need to apply for a permit to get it installed?
The answer is yes. Any alteration including installation of new electrical equipment requires an electrical permit within the province of B.C.

I bought the Schneider unit from Home Depot for about $900, then paid an electrician to come and install it in my carport of my townhouse strata. I had to get written permission from my strata and install a meter (the carport is on a common bill). So cost of installation included the permit, a meter, running the cable from a few stalls over and wiring/mounting the unit. That was another $900.

If I did it over again, I would have had him just install a NEMA 14-50 and bought a cheaper meter off eBay (instead of a used house meter!), and a cheaper Sun Country Highway (Clipper Creek) EV40 - 5kW would have been fine at home, I don't need the 6.6kW, and then when I move in 5 - 10 years, I could have taken the charger with me easily. Doh.

Edit:
I should note however that the Level 2 at my house, combined with finding a suitable Level 1 plug at work has allowed me to do my 72km commute (in the BC interior) even into the winter. I have so far saved well over $2400 plus avoided maintenance.

It cost me about $175 in materials for a 50A connection. It required 40 feet of 6/3 cable, and a 50A breaker and the waterproof outlet plug, and other assorted things.

I live in Ontario, but this is what it was for me:
-$759.05+tax - EV40 Sun Country Hwy (Clipper Creek disguised for Canada) hardwired.
-$400.00+tax - Installation by a licensed electrician, including 40 ft wire from basement panel to garage wall running thru an unfinished basement, 50 Amp breaker, ESA inspection.
There was no building permit required as far as I know.
Now the EV40 is available at Costco for $799, with plug, which makes it easier to remove if you move out or need it for other locations with NEMA14 plugs.
Ontario still has 50% up to $1000 Incentive for EVCS and installation (tax included), so I will end up with a approx $625 dent in my budget for this, once I get the money from ON govt :)
http://www.costco.ca/Sun-Country-Hi...le-EV-Charging-Station.product.100131537.html

Back