When does the Ontario Rebate expire?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andmann

I am looking to get a Leaf SL within the next several months.
Possibly a 2015 model if there are any nice changes or reduced costs.

Has anyone heard of any timelines for the Ontario rebate?
Someone told me well over a year ago it was when 10,000 units were sold.

What have you read or heard?

Thanks

Probably when Tim Hudak wins the election :?

Seriously though, the original press release of the program indicates that it applies to only the first 10 000 registrations:
http://news.ontario.ca/mto/en/2010/06/ontario-paves-the-way-for-electric-vehicles.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Rebates will only be made available to the first 10,000 applicants who qualify."

I just bought a 2011 Leaf that was a demo and applied for the rebate three weeks ago but did not hear anything back yet.

On the 10k limit I wouldn't be that worried, with EV sales counted in the hundreds per month for the whole of Canada I think there is plenty of the program left.
More worrisome is an election ...

Can someone tell me how the rebate is applied when you buy the Leaf.
My understanding is that it was to be applied only after tax has been added, but I also heard its before.
This is if the rebate is after tax
So if the car costs $40K, tax would come to $5200 = $45,200 less $8500 net $36,700

Now if the rebate is applied before tax
$40K less $8500 = $31,500 plus $4095 tax net $35,595
A net difference of $1105

Thanks

It is not less 8500. It is less 7500-ish because they take the tax off it. In the case of my lease it was added just like a down payment would have been which would make it after tax. I don't think it makes much sense that the rebate would be applied before - the government wouldn't like that very much as it would lower the amount of tax they take in.

Yes it's 10000 vehicles, however the home charger rebate says it expired in Dec '13.

I just got my plate and you are safe to wait, GVAD approx 500, so a rough guess they have sold 3500 electric vehicles. When you start seeing GVAH plates then you know your time is limited.

If you are using the online calculator to price out the leaf put 8500 in for the deposit and it will calculate it properly for purchase. For lease you have to take the 13% off, $7522 since on a lease you have to pay 13% tax on your downpayment at the time you take delivery, then pay tax on the payment every month. For purchase financing you get the final bill, all taxes then take the downpayment off and finance the rest (so you pay interest on financing the tax which you don't with a lease).

FYI I am paying $437 a month after tax 0 down for a 2015 sv pearl white for a 4 year 25000km/year lease, I don't see it advertised but when I signed the dealer told me that between my deal and delivery Nissan was offering $2500 rebate on cash deals and they made me sign that I knew about it but low payments were more important to me than a lower overall price as my wife may take 2 maternatiy leaves during the ownership of the leaf.

On a side note the Green plate HOV trial is listed till spring/summer of 2015 (not sure of the exact date), however with the low numbers I would be surpirsed if they don't extend it.

This website says that as of August 2014 the numbers of Green Plates issued and EV rebates are as follows:

Green licence plates issued - 2,532
EV Rebates Awarded - 2,018
EV Charging Rebates Awarded - 384

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/vehicle/electric/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I can't believe that only 384 charger rebates have been awarded. You would think it would be much higher than that. Same with the EV rebate on the cars. Maybe many are going without a L2 charger or just don't know about it. I would love to see greater adoption of EVs but I don't see that happening until the lower priced longer range cars becomes available. I am personally hoping that the rebate is still in effect when my lease comes up in 2017 so I can get it for the next gen leaf or Tesla 3.

I believe the December 2013 expiry of the home charger rebate was for people that had purchased and installed a EVSE before the rebate came into effect. They were able to claim for it up until that date. The EVSE rebate will probably continue until the normal EV rebate ends.

kaikara said:
I believe the December 2013 expiry of the home charger rebate was for people that had purchased and installed a EVSE before the rebate came into effect. They were able to claim for it up until that date. The EVSE rebate will probably continue until the normal EV rebate ends.

shame on me for reading it quickly, yes it looks like I read it wrong. I was going to just put one in anways in case it had been extended but not updated.

thanks for all the info on the rebates.
Does anyone know of any current deals on at the dealers for a purchase of a 2015 Leaf?
All I see is lease rates, no cash back etc at this point.
I did hear about $1K back in August but nothing for Sept on
thanks

hpauly said:
Does anyone know of any current deals on at the dealers for a purchase of a 2015 Leaf?
thanks

When I leased in July they told me it was $2500 back on a cash price only.

minispeed said:
hpauly said:
thanks

When I leased in July they told me it was $2500 back on a cash price only.

why would the Nissan deal go from $2500 down to $1000?
that is a big drop
I am looking to buy a 2015 SV in the next few months and $2500 sure would go a lot better than $1000 reduction
The dealer I emailed told me the $1000 Nissan rebate was for the month of August and they dont know what amount is coming next
I guess its time to email and ask for the latest rebate amount
If anyone hears the latest, please let me know
thanks

Back