Kill-a-Watt for only $16.95

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keydiver

For those of you who don't know what the Kill a Watt is, it is a nice wattage/kWhR monitor that you can plug any 120 VAC appliance into, to check its power draw, and longterm kW/Hr usage. Its great to find those "phantom loads" in your house, or calculate your energy consumption.
NewEgg is running a special:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882715001&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL111111&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL111111-_-EMC-111111-Index-_-Houseware-_-82715001-L021A" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Use promo code EMCJJJJ59 and you get it for only $16.95. I paid almost twice that for mine, and I don't ever remember seeing them this cheap, with FREE shipping!

keydiver said:
For those of you who don't know what the Kill a Watt is, it is a nice wattage/kWhR monitor that you can plug any 120 VAC appliance into, to check its power draw, and longterm kW/Hr usage. Its great to find those "phantom loads" in your house, or calculate your energy consumption.
NewEgg is running a special:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882715001&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL111111&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL111111-_-EMC-111111-Index-_-Houseware-_-82715001-L021A" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Use promo code EMCJJJJ59 and you get it for only $16.95. I paid almost twice that for mine, and I don't ever remember seeing them this cheap, with FREE shipping!

Ordered one... Thanks for the link and promo code... :cool:

If you used two of those through a "QIC240" (dual 120V combiner) box would you get a valid reading when charging a LEAF through a Ingineer modded EVSE?

TEG said:
If you used two of those through a "QIC240" (dual 120V combiner) box would you get a valid reading when charging a LEAF through a Ingineer modded EVSE?

Sounds plausible. Just add the 2 readings together and it should be right.

TEG said:
Not clear. I don't know if it depends on current flow through the neutral to function properly.

TEG said:
No.

The only current the kill a watt will read is the current used to energize the relay, and that is too small to register.

Also, my experience with the device while charging L1 is that it may be rated at 15 Amps, it doesn't seem to like a continuous 12 Amps. The prongs are soldered to the circuit board - mine got hot enough that one prong came loose from the board.

Bill

Back