Help with getting good solar pricing

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SurfHawk

Now that I have the Leaf, I'm trying to get solar installed by the end of 2016. Had three local companies out, two quotes in, waiting for the 3rd. Pricing so far seems high ($4.20/W) compared to friends/neighbors seeing $3.85/W, so wondering: are these quotes negotiable? Any tips on getting a better deal from a reputable installer? I've seen some DIY places selling parts for almost identical systems for 1/3 the cost of these installs. Not that I'm going to do it myself, but that seems like a hefty markup.

Installer #1:
4.16kW system
13 LG Panels
SMA Inverter
$4.14/W cash price

Installer #2
4.23kW system
13 Panasonic panels w/ optimizers
SolarEdge inverter
$4.23/W cash price

Installer #3 (estimated based on conversation):
4.14kW system
12 Sunpower panels
Built in microinverters
???/W cash price - prob higher than #1 and #2 based on Sunpower panels.

I would go to 'Wholesale solar' and get pricing for the parts so you know where they are going up from. there are many many installers who do not have high overhead costs (ie. Sales and marketing people) in your area, I'm sure.

i have a friend who wants to get into Solar and he is doing a 8.04Kw system for about $20,000 for me. We are going to use Canadian Solar Commercial panels (they are bigger) and so we'll need less. 335Watts each 72cells. Solaredge P400 Power optimizer attached to each and a Solaredge 7600 inverter, all on the ground (we have lots of space in our yard that I struggle to keep watered) so this is good for me.

Anyway, if he wasn't going to do it I'd try to do it myself. I'd go to the local city to look up the process to install solar and the power company too. they will both have their codes and rules for you or your installer to follow.

So for a solar company they are probably 1/3 parts, 1/3 sales and the last 1/3 is the installer and city/electric company fees.. that is a guess which will be put right by someone in the industry and is willing to be frank about the cost splits.

DuncanCunningham said:
I would go to 'Wholesale solar' and get pricing for the parts so you know where they are going up from. there are many many installers who do not have high overhead costs (ie. Sales and marketing people) in your area, I'm sure.

Exactly. I did that and found this 3.2kW system for $5,847 (actually less, says call for pricing): http://www.wholesalesolar.com/1891550/wholesale-solar/complete-systems/3.2-kw-grid-tied-solar-system-with-solaredge-and-10x-solarworld-320-panels

Before I bought the Leaf and thought I needed a 3kW system, I got a quote a 3.2kW system with these same panels and inverter for $15,754. Add in two days of installation, having to monitor the system, come out for warranty, parts cost for wiring sure, but where does the rest of that $10,000 difference go? Glossy presentations I guess.

There is a high markup involved since installation is a bit involved and there is significant profit included for the installers. Perhaps your friends' systems which had a lower price/Watt were larger than 4 kW?

I would be a bit leary of the new Sunpower Equinox system with integrated microinverters since this product was just announced this year and therefore has no demonstrated reliability. If you are interested in integrated microinverters, Enphase and LG are making an offering based on their best-of-class products, but I expect it will not be available this year.

As far as inverters go, I would stick with SMA SunnyBoy central inverters, SolarEdge with optimizers or Enphase microinverters to be sure you get a reliable system.

If you want to save money, find out if any of your friends are willing and capable to do the install with you. You can buy complete kits on eBay for less than about $1.75/W.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

SurfHawk said:
DuncanCunningham said:

Exactly. I did that and found this 3.2kW system for $5,847 (actually less, says call for pricing): http://www.wholesalesolar.com/1891550/wholesale-solar/complete-systems/3.2-kw-grid-tied-solar-system-with-solaredge-and-10x-solarworld-320-panels

Before I bought the Leaf and thought I needed a 3kW system, I got a quote a 3.2kW system with these same panels and inverter for $15,754. Add in two days of installation, having to monitor the system, come out for warranty, parts cost for wiring sure, but where does the rest of that $10,000 difference go? Glossy presentations I guess.

Sales, marketing, installation and City and power company fees i suppose.

the prices for the parts never include the drawings, city fees and any power company requirements which are usually at least $1000 in city fees and you'll probably have to upgrade the meter and externals boxes too.

I think the main reason you are seeing higher prices is this is a relatively small system. Much of the overhead cost of the system is fixed regardless of the size.

QueenBee said:
I think the main reason you are seeing higher prices is this is a relatively small system. Much of the overhead cost of the system is fixed regardless of the size.

Well it's good to know this pricing doesn't seem crazy for this system size then. The SunPower installer came in at $4.95/W for SunPower panels (DC) or $4.19/W for LG panels, both with an SMA inverter.

Back