Reading SOC from a parked, unplugged car

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happyfunball

I'm trying to read the SOC from the car while its parked and unused as part of my home automation project. I'd appreciate any help I could get at this point.

I have a Raspberry Pi (the carport security camera) talking to the ODB2 port via bluetooth, using the same adapter that works fine for LeafSpy.

From a python script, or from screen, I can talk directly to the ODB2 adapter. While the car is running I can:

atz
ate0
ath1
atCAF0
atCF 55B <-- ask for SOC
ATCM 7FF <-- skip the rest
atma <- monitor output

and then see the output. I will see something like:

55B D8 40 55 00 DA 80 13 A9

Which tells me the SOC (86.5 real not dash).

But this only works if the car is ON which is not terribly useful. If the car is off I can still talk to the ODB2 adapter, but no monitored data ever shows up.

How can I get this information while the car is shut off and parked? Can I wake up the cars computers somehow to see the charge level?

Been googling a lot of CAN messages and you might want to look at
Mesage ID: 68C
Seen comments that is a Wake up message that sent by TCU (telematics module)

To wake up the VCM (Main controller)
the TCU sends a msgID of 68C on the EV CAN bus with one byte of 00
On 2013 and newer models wake up solely on the CAN message.

happyfunball said:
I'm trying to read the SOC from the car while its parked and unused as part of my home automation project. I'd appreciate any help I could get at this point.
How can I get this information while the car is shut off and parked? Can I wake up the cars computers somehow to see the charge level?

Don't get me wrong, i'm all about learning how these things work and playing around with them.

At first this sounded like a great idea, but then it didn't seem meaningful for a home automation plan--what value is this information if the car is not plugged into the EVSSE?

There doesn't seem to be an automation benefit since you will still have to walk out to plug it in to chargge. Plus open the door to release the cover and get in to set a time or charge limit.

Now if the car were already plugged in, then this would be very useful to remotely read the level and start the chargging at some time that you decide and set.

But it is really cool that you figured out how to read information with Rasb Pi, so Press On Regardless.

Getting the data would be great. Today every time I plugin I have to connect to my EV Juicenet app https://apps.apple.com/us/app/ev-juicenet/id1106989154 to set how much I would like to charge. I keep the battery topped off at 90% and since the car has no way to limit the change via the EVSSE.

I should be able to post to the web version of the UI to add X% of charge once I sense the car returning. Once the car is gone set the charge limit down to 0.

Back