Leaf Spy Pro problem Hardware or software?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biggsy

I have been running Leaf Spy Pro on my Samsung S4 for over a year without any problems. Beginning about two months ago I was having to unplug and replug the OBD to get Leaf Spy to work. I updated to Lollipop 5.0 on my phone on 5/22 but have not connected since 5/17 and have not been able to get connected even though the Bluetooth does connect. Between 5/17 and 5/22 I may not have tried to connect or maybe only tried and gave up quickly.

I installed another OBD app reader and it had the same problem. Both see the OBD in the available bluetooth list and both repeatedly attempt to connect but fail. Both see the ELM327 v1.5.

I ran the Trace ELM in Leaf Spy Pro and it showS:
"06/03/2015 11:00:35 03 000 NaN Step 4 - 2.9 sec. Serial Port Opened Successfully & Service Started"
"06/03/2015 11:00:35 03 000 NaN Step 5 - AStreamT Initialize to BTSerial"
"06/03/2015 11:00:37 07 010 88 CAN ERROR CAN_ERROR"

Then it repeats until I close it down. After numerous attempts sometimes the 88 in the last line is either a 89 or a 67 but the sequence is the same.

I have a ELM327 mini with a short extension cable but the results are the same with or without the cable.

I am guessing my ELM327 is bad but before I buy another OBD plugin I thought I would ask for other suggestions?

I would check under the dash at the OBDII connector and see if any pins are pushed in. Then make sure the extension cable is fully seated in the socket and OBDII adapter in the cable end. If that does not fix it then another OBDII Adapter would be the next step.

I have had a number of OBDII adapters with poor solder joints connecting the pins to the board which I fixed by opening it up and re-soldering. A more advanced step if you are not into electronic repair.

The CAN Error means the adapter is not seeing the CAN signals from the Leaf so only getting power and ground but missing one or both of the CAN signals.

Hey guys,
I have a problem I couldn't find anything about in the forum. I am doing research as a student with Leaf Spy Pro and have problems with understanding my data. I want to estimate the consumption of runs by the difference of GIDs left in the battery. I did some test runs and the consumption differs extremely (by the factor of 2.5) with trying to hold all nuisance factors constant (same route, driver, time etc.) I figured out that in the runs with an extremely high consumption the app is not recording the regeneration. The value is constant for about 20 minutes while driving, than starts recording again. Everything else is recording. Also the pack amps show me that there is regeneration from breaking.
The other runs are very constant and the variation quite low.

My question is, do you know what the problem could be? Possibly the device in the car? And why is the consumption so extremely high when not reading the regeneration? :?:

My background:
2011 Leaf
Nexus 7 tablet
OBDII adapter via bluetooth in the vehicle
Leaf Spy Pro version 0.34.51

Thanks for an answer

patrickst said:
Hey guys,
I have a problem I couldn't find anything about in the forum. I am doing research as a student with Leaf Spy Pro and have problems with understanding my data. I want to estimate the consumption of runs by the difference of GIDs left in the battery. I did some test runs and the consumption differs extremely (by the factor of 2.5) with trying to hold all nuisance factors constant (same route, driver, time etc.) I figured out that in the runs with an extremely high consumption the app is not recording the regeneration. The value is constant for about 20 minutes while driving, than starts recording again. Everything else is recording. Also the pack amps show me that there is regeneration from breaking.
The other runs are very constant and the variation quite low.

My question is, do you know what the problem could be? Possibly the device in the car? And why is the consumption so extremely high when not reading the regeneration? :?:

My background:
2011 Leaf
Nexus 7 tablet
OBDII adapter via bluetooth in the vehicle
Leaf Spy Pro version 0.34.51

Thanks for an answer
Regeneration is based on SOC increasing not on pack amps. Pack amps is read too infrequently to be used to determine the energy generated during regeneration (at best once every few seconds) and has a granularity of half an amp. It is the Leaf BMS unit that adjusts the SOC during driving and regen.

If consumption is high then how can there be any regen. By definition regen is when the motor is not consuming any energy but instead generating energy.

Unless you are going down a very steep mountain you will not see an increase in Gids. Battery temperature changes can also affect SOC and could mask any energy added through regeneration or make it look like regeneration occurred when it did not.

If you want precise numbers you will need to install your own monitoring equipment on the Leaf and not use the CAN bus.

Thanks for the quick response.

My data is based on approx. 5 km long and very hilly runs on the same route. When I plot the excel file of Gids and regen over time, there should be a change in the value of regeneration. I don't mean at the same time, I mean the cumulated value and at the end of a run.
In some runs I record regen and the values fit quite well to the topography, and in some there is no change in regen over the whole time at all. The route stays the same. When the regen is recorded, the data is good enough for me and in each run very precise. But in the runs when regen is not recorded, constant value over time, the GIDs difference from start to end of the run increases enormously.

I do not know why regen in some of the runs is not changing at all. :?: I hope I could explain my problem more precise.

patrickst said:
Thanks for the quick response.

My data is based on approx. 5 km long and very hilly runs on the same route. When I plot the excel file of Gids and regen over time, there should be a change in the value of regeneration. I don't mean at the same time, I mean the cumulated value and at the end of a run.
In some runs I record regen and the values fit quite well to the topography, and in some there is no change in regen over the whole time at all. The route stays the same. When the regen is recorded, the data is good enough for me and in each run very precise. But in the runs when regen is not recorded, constant value over time, the GIDs difference from start to end of the run increases enormously.

I do not know why regen in some of the runs is not changing at all. :?: I hope I could explain my problem more precise.
There is no way for the app to show just Regen. All the app can do is report changes in SOC which at times are due to regen as you seem to be seeing. If the battery is changing temperature this could mask any Regen. Try plotting battery temperature and see what it shows. I assume you are not using climate control as that would also change the SOC and most likely prevent any regen from being recorded as SOC might always be decreasing.

For the app regen is defined as SOC increasing not the motor generating energy. If SOC does not increase then there will be no regen. SOC is saved in the log file so you can plot it and look for an increase.

I am not using any additional consumer in the car if you mean that with climate control. I try to hold everything constant.

I checked my data, understand the calculation of regen now, thanks. Temperature is increasing over the whole time very linear in the battery (aprox. 15 to 17 °C). This should impact all my runs the same way and not being the reason for my variability in consumption. I am curious about the huge differences in my data.

With the Pack Amps I wanted to show that there is regeneration in each run, not calculate the exact value, so I can be sure that my driving behaviour does not differ extremely (also try to hold acceleration, speed etc. constant). Is there another way to aprox. calculate the regen?

When I get it right, the BMS of the Leaf controls the SOC and Leaf Spy reads its value, regen in the app is calculated with SOC. So, if my consumption is very high in some runs, it is definitely not a problem with the app or the device!?
When it is possible that temperature influences the SOC, do you know how the BMS handles it? Does it correct the SOC linearly with the temperature or are there some kind of threshold values when there is a correction (like change in pack temperature of 2°C).
I calculate the consumption with GID and SOC, do they both have the same source when the app reads it?

Not quite sure if that's still the right topic here, but thank you for the knowledge you share.

I am a new owner of the software, purchased through the apple App Store. I have a iPad pro that is new as well and the OBDII wi if interface scanner that is iOS ready. So I plug in the interface and it shows a red light and started the car, launched the app and no interface - no information. I verified that the wi-fi was being detected by the iPad as well.

I'm not sure where the fault is. Do I need other software for the OBDII to function?

ChuckO said:
I am a new owner of the software, purchased through the apple App Store. I have a iPad pro that is new as well and the OBDII wi if interface scanner that is iOS ready. So I plug in the interface and it shows a red light and started the car, launched the app and no interface - no information. I verified that the wi-fi was being detected by the iPad as well.

I'm not sure where the fault is. Do I need other software for the OBDII to function?
You're better off posting to http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=19147&hilit=ios.

Please post the exactly make and model of OBD2 dongle you're using. Without that, we're flying blind. Best if you continue the discussion in the above thread.

ChuckO said:

Did you go into the LeafSpy Settings menu and register the WiFi OBDII's SSID so LeafSpy knows when the WiFi is connected to the OBDII adapter?

Back