LeafSpy..less than 100% at full charge?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ialonso

So, I purchased a BlueTooth OBDII reader and installed LeafSpy...WOW

with my used Leaf, with 12K in Houston, (had 4K when I bought it, car came from Atlanta) .I'm about to loose my 2nd bar it appears, I'm at 86% capacity remaining.

Yesterday I charged to 100% using the timer override button, and my SOC was 92% when I went to check the car in the morning.... Is this normal?
(Charged with 15amp 220v ClipperCreek charger)

Regardless of capacity is it supposed to reach 100% when fully charged?

I'm going to trickle charge tonight with the timer off. My variance at all points has been ok at >25mv

Thanks!

Perfectly normal.

Typical maximum is somewhere around 95%, but the charge may stop at a much lower level if the battery is hot (at least that's what I've observed with my LEAF when the battery temp is in the 90s).

Hello,
If you are looking at the Leaf spy data for charge percent, it will always come up short of 100%. To preserve the life of the Li battery the leaf only uses the middle 84% of the total capacity. Life cycles of the battery are greatly reduced if using 100% of capacity. It was a common practice in the earlier times to only use the middle 80% of the battery's capacity, charging to 90% and discharging to 10%. Nissan pushed those limits a bit with the leaf charging to 94%.

I don't know why your battery is stopping at 92%. It might be thermally related. My leaf regularly charges to just over 94%.

Don

Thanks for the info. One follow question What is the percentage at which the car will reach the vlbw?

Thanks!

leafmealone said:
I too bought the Leaf Spy Pro and loving it. My question is this: If VLB warning is at 24 GIDS, how many at turtle?

Turtle isn't based on GIDs. It's based on the lowest cell pair voltage reaching about 2.9 volts.

That can happen between 4-8 Gid typically. The app should use 6 Gid as a relatively predictable middle ground to show zero miles remaining.

Didn't want a new topic just for this, and it seems close enough so thought I'd ask here..

How much flux is there in charging to FULL?
I've been NOT watching closely, but keeping an eye on my charge in the mornings.
I think (lots of soft words, because I wasn't logging/noting it) it's been around 95%, 94.x% usually since I got it 6 months ago.

I thought that maybe I was noticing some degradation (it is a 2012) the last week or so as I thought (again, not a scientific check there...) the max in the mornings was more like 93.x% and once a 92.x%.

But this morning, I get in the car and it's a 94.x% charge (all of these are via Leaf Spy Pro) again...
(Which made me happy, but confused.. ;-) )

So, is it just common that max at full will vary 3% or so (totally random number, not based on any data!!)??

Just wondering..

desiv

Well I've only had my 2012 SL for a month or so but I've never even hit 93% on a full charge, I always stop at 92.x%. Not sure if I've done more than 92.7 or not as I didn't log them all.

If Weatherman is right and it is temperature limited then maybe I'll get an extra percent charge come winter to offset the heater use somewhat.

Keep in mind that SOC is not a direct indication of the energy in the battery. Just how full the battery is. As the battery ages it can hold less and less energy.

My 2011 when set to charge to 100% actually just charged to an SOC 91.71% but that is only 205 Gids or about 73% of the original capacity.

When new SOC was around 95% at full charge. So if you just looked at SOC change I have lost only 3.29% which is obviously not the case.

As a Leaf gets older SOC is of less and less value.

It does benefit Nissan as customers can not really see battery degradation in the SOC number now displayed on the dash. Someone buying a second hand Leaf would probably look at the SOC at full charge and think everything is still ok.

Turbo3 said:
Keep in mind that SOC is not a direct indication of the energy in the battery. Just how full the battery is. As the battery ages it can hold less and less energy.

My 2011 when set to charge to 100% actually just charged to an SOC 91.71% but that is only 205 Gids or about 73% of the original capacity.

When new SOC was around 95% at full charge. So if you just looked at SOC change I have lost only 3.29% which is obviously not the case.

As a Leaf gets older SOC is of less and less value.

It does benefit Nissan as customers can not really see battery degradation in the SOC number now displayed on the dash. Someone buying a second hand Leaf would probably look at the SOC at full charge and think everything is still ok.

My analysis using WattsLeft and LeafSpy (both developed by turbo3) suggests the charge to 100% ends at 4.09xx V and 80% at 4.02xx V. As turbo3 mentioned, the SOC decreases as the Leaf gets older, but the average voltage at which 100% and 80% set points (MY11 Leaf) occurs is close to constant.

Turbo3 said:
Keep in mind that SOC is not a direct indication of the energy in the battery. Just how full the battery is. As the battery ages it can hold less and less energy..
Makes sense..
So, does "Percent GIDs" work that way, or is that one constant over time?
i.e. if my battery degrades about 25% in 3 years, the max percent GIDs at a full charge would be somewhere around 75%, where as SOC could still be in the 95% range?

desiv

TonyWilliams said:
Turtle isn't based on GIDs. It's based on the lowest cell pair voltage reaching about 2.9 volts.

That can happen between 4-8 Gid typically. The app should use 6 Gid as a relatively predictable middle ground to show zero miles remaining.
I have been to Turtle three times in the past few months in a 2011 that has lost two capacity bars.
It is not based on GID.
All three times it has occurred when kWh remaining hits 0.4 kWh.
But the lowest cell voltage has varied.
It has sometimes been near 3.3.
Sometimes lower like 3.15.
But not as low as 2.9.

It appears to be based on kWh remaining.

And on one occasion the contactor opened at 0.3 kWh.
Often the car will shut down very quickly after Turtle.
You may be lucky to go a half mile.
And with the 20 kW motor power limit, on a steep grade lucky to climb at 10 to 15 mph.

desiv said:
So, does "Percent GIDs" work that way, or is that one constant over time?
i.e. if my battery degrades about 25% in 3 years, the max percent GIDs at a full charge would be somewhere around 75%, where as SOC could still be in the 95% range?

desiv

Correct.

Back