Turbo3
Gold Member
Posts: 1974
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:34 pm
Delivery Date: 12 May 2011
Leaf Number: 002191
Location: San Jose, CA

Re: Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro

Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:06 pm

calverajarda wrote:Hi,
i have one problem. When using Leaf Spy Pro after couple of miles driving all screens (except braking/motor) stop updating. Any idea?

Disable Braking/Motor screen then unplug and plug OBDII back in.

There was a warning when you enabled the brakng/motor screen that this might happen.

Turbo3
Gold Member
Posts: 1974
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:34 pm
Delivery Date: 12 May 2011
Leaf Number: 002191
Location: San Jose, CA

Re: Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro

Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:08 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:I downloaded the Pro update from 3 weeks ago, roughly. Will that give incorrect info on a 2018 Leaf? Do I need to update again, or is this still beta?

In the US you need the latest beta to get correct odometer. In Canada you will need to wait for the next beta.

Turbo3
Gold Member
Posts: 1974
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:34 pm
Delivery Date: 12 May 2011
Leaf Number: 002191
Location: San Jose, CA

Re: Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro

Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:09 pm

DaveinOlyWA wrote:Thanks for the update!!... I think. First reading on new version shows 2.5% drop in SOH...

Correct. There is a new SOH conversion factor as new Leafs have been showing greater than 100% SOH.

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 13134
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2018
Leaf Number: 314199
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro

Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:01 pm

Turbo3 wrote:
DaveinOlyWA wrote:Thanks for the update!!... I think. First reading on new version shows 2.5% drop in SOH...

Correct. There is a new SOH conversion factor as new Leafs have been showing greater than 100% SOH.


Well that is depressing since my highest SOH was about 99.6% or so before the update. In the mean time, my Hx is approaching 113%
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 deceased. 29,413 miles. 2018 S40; 8743 miles, 485 GIDs, 37.6 kwh 111.39 Ahr , SOH 96.49, Hx 114.98
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

calverajarda
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:51 am
Delivery Date: 27 Jan 2018

Re: Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro

Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:15 am

Hi,
i have problem about consumption. I dont know what is right.
Yesterday driven 26km - car shows 12,4kwh/100km its 3224Wh
With leaf spy at start capacity 16,1kwh, at end 12,2kwh its 3900Wh
Consumption wit Leaf Spy135,1Wh/km - its 3512Wh
Whats right?
I searching true conusmtipon kwh/100km with clima, heating etc.
Thanks.

Turbo3
Gold Member
Posts: 1974
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:34 pm
Delivery Date: 12 May 2011
Leaf Number: 002191
Location: San Jose, CA

Re: Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro

Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:02 pm

calverajarda wrote:Hi,
i have problem about consumption. I dont know what is right.
Yesterday driven 26km - car shows 12,4kwh/100km its 3224Wh
With leaf spy at start capacity 16,1kwh, at end 12,2kwh its 3900Wh
Consumption wit Leaf Spy135,1Wh/km - its 3512Wh
Whats right?
I searching true conusmtipon kwh/100km with clima, heating etc.
Thanks.

An exact Wh is not going to be possible. They are all estimates. A battery is not like a gas tank.

LeafSpy uses two different ways to calculate Wh used. One is based on a change in Gids and the other is based on battery energy level changes.

Wh per Gid is not a precise number. The default is 77.5 Wh per Gid but you can change that in Settings/Battery. Also Gids when SOC is high seem to have less energy than Gids when SOC is low. After a full change the first bar goes away pretty quickly compared to later in the drive.

The Battery energy level has <1Wh resolution which looks great but a battery can change its available energy just by having the battery temperature increase or decrease. Battery energy level changes also includes all accessory energy use.

LeafSpy's efficiency number (energy/distance) has the problem of energy listed above plus the fact that the odometer only changes in 1 km steps. It is not something I would have put in but was requested even with the short comings.

Turbo3
Gold Member
Posts: 1974
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:34 pm
Delivery Date: 12 May 2011
Leaf Number: 002191
Location: San Jose, CA

Re: Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro

Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:11 pm

The current test version with the SOH conversion change is going to be replaced with a new test version that goes back to the original SOH conversion factor.

calverajarda
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:51 am
Delivery Date: 27 Jan 2018

Re: Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro

Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:12 am

Turbo3 wrote:
calverajarda wrote:Hi,
i have problem about consumption. I dont know what is right.
Yesterday driven 26km - car shows 12,4kwh/100km its 3224Wh
With leaf spy at start capacity 16,1kwh, at end 12,2kwh its 3900Wh
Consumption wit Leaf Spy135,1Wh/km - its 3512Wh
Whats right?
I searching true conusmtipon kwh/100km with clima, heating etc.
Thanks.

An exact Wh is not going to be possible. They are all estimates. A battery is not like a gas tank.

LeafSpy uses two different ways to calculate Wh used. One is based on a change in Gids and the other is based on battery energy level changes.

Wh per Gid is not a precise number. The default is 77.5 Wh per Gid but you can change that in Settings/Battery. Also Gids when SOC is high seem to have less energy than Gids when SOC is low. After a full change the first bar goes away pretty quickly compared to later in the drive.

The Battery energy level has <1Wh resolution which looks great but a battery can change its available energy just by having the battery temperature increase or decrease. Battery energy level changes also includes all accessory energy use.

LeafSpy's efficiency number (energy/distance) has the problem of energy listed above plus the fact that the odometer only changes in 1 km steps. It is not something I would have put in but was requested even with the short comings.


Ok, thanks for answer.
Which meter is more accurate for energy/distance? on board meter or LeafSpy kw/km meter? I mean LeafSpy. But both showing consmuption with all accesory, yes?

User avatar
lpickup
Posts: 1139
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:14 pm
Delivery Date: 09 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 16138
Location: Raleigh, NC
Contact: Website

Re: Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro

Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:38 am

calverajarda wrote:Which meter is more accurate for energy/distance? on board meter or LeafSpy kw/km meter? I mean LeafSpy. But both showing consmuption with all accesory, yes?


How granular do you want the data? Do you need a separate readout for each trip/day, or is a month long summary (possibly without many digits of precision) acceptable?

I think in general LeafSpy will give you more accurate (and precise) readings, especially if you are trying to track at the trip or daily level. But you would need to remember to run it each and every time if you are looking to gather data on a larger scale (like a month). For that, I think relying on the car's display is probably adequate. My routine is as follows:

On the first day of the month I note the various parameters in the driver's display (averge mi/kWh, distance, average mph, driving time) and reset all those. Taken across a whole year you can see variations due to seasons, and even the effect of battery degradation and things like different tires, etc.

Each time I charge the car I reset the center console meter. This was actually more useful in my old 2012 LEAF in that it was basically a daily activity, and the center console displayed the daily efficiency as a number--in my 2016 it only shows as a bar graph, plus I don't need to charge my 2016 daily, so the information it conveys is not as useful anyway. The idea behind this is that I could check daily efficiency and compare to the monthly running total and surrounding days, correlating with weather conditions and driving patterns (highway vs. surface streets).

The resultant data is not precise. You only get down to the 0.1 mi/kWh level, but big picture wise, this is probably sufficient accuracy for what I was using the data for.

If for some reason I needed highly accurate data for a particular trip, I would have no qualms using LeafSpy for that.

If you need highly accurate data for some other reason (you are trying to calculate exact costs of electricity), then you probably want to take a different approach altogether and put a meter on your EVSE so you can take into account charger losses as well.
...Lance

Deep Blue Metallic 2018 Tesla Model 3 (31849) (delivered: 7/13/18)
Coulis Red 2016 SV (312310) (bought: 12/23/16 sold: 7/5/18)
Glacier Pearl 2012 SL (016138) (delivered: 12/9/11; traded in 12/23/16)
NOGA$4ME Blog

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 13134
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2018
Leaf Number: 314199
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro

Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:19 pm

calverajarda wrote:
Turbo3 wrote:
calverajarda wrote:Hi,
i have problem about consumption. I dont know what is right.
Yesterday driven 26km - car shows 12,4kwh/100km its 3224Wh
With leaf spy at start capacity 16,1kwh, at end 12,2kwh its 3900Wh
Consumption wit Leaf Spy135,1Wh/km - its 3512Wh
Whats right?
I searching true conusmtipon kwh/100km with clima, heating etc.
Thanks.

An exact Wh is not going to be possible. They are all estimates. A battery is not like a gas tank.

LeafSpy uses two different ways to calculate Wh used. One is based on a change in Gids and the other is based on battery energy level changes.

Wh per Gid is not a precise number. The default is 77.5 Wh per Gid but you can change that in Settings/Battery. Also Gids when SOC is high seem to have less energy than Gids when SOC is low. After a full change the first bar goes away pretty quickly compared to later in the drive.

The Battery energy level has <1Wh resolution which looks great but a battery can change its available energy just by having the battery temperature increase or decrease. Battery energy level changes also includes all accessory energy use.

LeafSpy's efficiency number (energy/distance) has the problem of energy listed above plus the fact that the odometer only changes in 1 km steps. It is not something I would have put in but was requested even with the short comings.


Ok, thanks for answer.
Which meter is more accurate for energy/distance? on board meter or LeafSpy kw/km meter? I mean LeafSpy. But both showing consmuption with all accesory, yes?


I think another way to understand the situation;

This is how I know when its time to change the remote access keypad battery for my garage. When the keypad fails and its Winter time ( Have yet to have it fail during Summer and I am an OLLLLD guy!)

I pull the battery out and rub it between my palms for about a minute. This heats up the battery enough to where it is able to power up and initiate the garage door opener. When I get tired of doing this, I change the battery! ;)
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 deceased. 29,413 miles. 2018 S40; 8743 miles, 485 GIDs, 37.6 kwh 111.39 Ahr , SOH 96.49, Hx 114.98
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “LEAF CANBus”