dibun
Delivery Date: 15 May 2017

Re: ELM327-type OBD Bluetooth devices for Android Apps

Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:28 am

TomT wrote:The best OBDII Bluetooth device I have yet to find is the OBDLink LX. It is compatible with everything I have tried, very configurable, extremely fast, and the firmware is upgradable from their app. It is also the most expensive as well but well worth it... Amazon, among others, has it...

Does OBDLink LX works? as their site says it does not work with hybrid and EV https://www.scantool.net/obdlink-lxbt/

MrOtto
Delivery Date: 18 May 2018

Sat May 19, 2018 12:57 am

Which Bluetooth 4.x and with low energy can I use with Leaf spy? I have read the recommended LELink brand is unreliable and it's expensive.

Turbo3
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 May 2011
Leaf Number: 002191

Sat May 19, 2018 11:00 am

dibun wrote:
TomT wrote:The best OBDII Bluetooth device I have yet to find is the OBDLink LX. It is compatible with everything I have tried, very configurable, extremely fast, and the firmware is upgradable from their app. It is also the most expensive as well but well worth it... Amazon, among others, has it...

Does OBDLink LX works? as their site says it does not work with hybrid and EV https://www.scantool.net/obdlink-lxbt/

Yes, LX and MX work with the Leaf if you have an Android device.

Turbo3
Gold Member

Sat May 19, 2018 11:09 am

MrOtto wrote:Which Bluetooth 4.x and with low energy can I use with Leaf spy? I have read the recommended LELink brand is unreliable and it's expensive.

LELink is the recommended adapter for iOS. For Android you can also use the PLX Kiwi 3 but that is even more expensive.

There is no reason the LELink should be unreliable. But like any other electronic item things happen. Just buy the LELink from them directly or Amazon where you can get it replaced.

There was one issue with 2018 Leafs which do not work with the special LELink low power mode. An early test version of LeafSpy Pro enabled that feature before learning it did not work. That caused the LELink to look like it was dead. Released versions of LeafSpy Pro never turned that feature on. If you had that problem you just needed to plug the LELink into any other car but a 2018 Leaf and run the released version of LeafSpy Pro to clear the problem.

GerryAZ
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011

Sun May 20, 2018 9:33 pm

The OBDLink MX works great with LEAF Spy Pro on Android. However, the Scantool OBDLink software that comes with it is not compatible with the LEAF.
Gerry
Silver LEAF 2011 SL rear ended (totaled) by in-attentive driver 1/4/2015 at 50,422 miles
Silver LEAF 2015 SL purchased 2/7/2015

MrOtto

Fri May 25, 2018 2:30 am

Turbo3 wrote:
MrOtto wrote:Which Bluetooth 4.x and with low energy can I use with Leaf spy? I have read the recommended LELink brand is unreliable and it's expensive.

LELink is the recommended adapter for iOS. For Android you can also use the PLX Kiwi 3 but that is even more expensive.

There is no reason the LELink should be unreliable. But like any other electronic item things happen. Just buy the LELink from them directly or Amazon where you can get it replaced.

There was one issue with 2018 Leafs which do not work with the special LELink low power mode. An early test version of LeafSpy Pro enabled that feature before learning it did not work. That caused the LELink to look like it was dead. Released versions of LeafSpy Pro never turned that feature on. If you had that problem you just needed to plug the LELink into any other car but a 2018 Leaf and run the released version of LeafSpy Pro to clear the problem.

I ordered the Veepeak BLE adapter. Stated it supports Leaf Spy on their homepage. Doesn't say standby current, but since it's BLE it should be very low. http://www.veepeak.com/obdcheck-ble/

Turbo3
Gold Member

Fri May 25, 2018 8:40 pm

MrOtto wrote:
Turbo3 wrote:

I ordered the Veepeak BLE adapter. Stated it supports Leaf Spy on their homepage. Doesn't say standby current, but since it's BLE it should be very low. http://www.veepeak.com/obdcheck-ble/

For Android only the LELink and Kiwi 3 operate in BLE mode.

The veepeak you pointed to is BLE for iOS but when connecting to an Android device it operates as a standard Bluetooth adapter requiring pairing and not in BLE mode.

MrOtto

Sat May 26, 2018 2:59 am

Why?

Turbo3
Gold Member

Sat May 26, 2018 10:58 am

MrOtto wrote:Why?

If they used BLE for Android they would stop being compatible with all the old apps. Only new apps that know about BLE would be able to see the Veepeak on an Android device. They want to support the maximum number of apps so for iOS they use BLE and Android they use normal Bluetooth. Most BLE adapters I have seen work this way. Only LELink and the PLX Kiwi 3 are full BLE adapters (iOS and Android) from the ones I have tested and also work with the Leaf protocol.

There is nothing wrong with using this adapter. It is just not BLE with Android so you will need to pair it with your Android device and then select it in LeafSpy when you start LeafSpy up.

MrOtto

Sun May 27, 2018 12:17 am

I've canceled the Veepeak and getting the Lelink with BLE for Android.

Return to “LEAF CANBus”