DanBaldwin
Delivery Date: 09 Oct 2012
Leaf Number: 3586

Re: *NEW* Dash Display for Leaf; I'll take one

Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:29 am

Obviously everyone has their own version of the "right" units to use, so I think the best bet is to do exactly what you want. Either that or do exactly what I want.
Stoaty wrote:
DanBaldwin wrote:I vote for uncooked GIDs. I don't mind if they are blanched, but I prefer they have at least a little crunch.
Do you insist that they be warmed up a bit in the microwave, or are you OK getting them straight from the fridge?
Don't be ridiculous. Everyone knows that GIDs lose nutritional value when refrigerated, and you should NEVER use a microwave. That's how they control your mind! Now where did I leave that foil hat.

Mx5racer

Re: *NEW* Dash Display for Leaf

Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:36 am

Keep it simple, cheap and available.
I would not worry about trying to please everyone.
I would pay the $80 for a simple plug in display that showed a number between 0 and 281.

The people that want all the bells and whistles can wait for the other
units that have been promised for someday in the future, I like that yours will ship now.

You can always come out with a second gen more expensive unit.
Silver SL
Yorba Linda, CA
5.9 Solar

GregH
Delivery Date: 13 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 26967

Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:22 am

Thank you all for the input! I do intend to keep it simple.
I do have to say living with the unitless "Gids" for nearly two years I'm actually rather fond of them. As a more or less constant unit of remaining energy with a range of roughly 0-300 it's rather handy. Given the imprecise nature of the Leaf's current sensor my ideal measure (Ah remaining) may be unrealizable. Would a few more bits of precision be nice? Yeah.. would it be nice to see the credit you're getting for long regen sessions without the obnoxious hysteresis? Yeah.. but I guess I shouldn't complain. The precise SOC number in Group 1 is fun to watch but it's not a constant unit and will vary from vehicle to vehicle.

There's been a lot of talk of kWh and that's where the discussion gets interesting. Obviously we can measure kWh into the vehicle (or battery) and it'd be nice to have a constant measure of "fuel" but unfortunately batteries are odd beasts. Fortunately lithium batteries are a tad more efficient and consistent than many others. What we really would like to know is how many Amp-hours are left because Ah are much less effected by how you drive. If you start with 66Ah and drive 80 miles and take out 60Ah, when you charge chances are you'll put 60Ah back in to reach 66Ah again. kWh don't work that way. Due to the internal impedance of t he cells the voltage of the cell is always higher on charge than discharge which results in the round trip efficiency of the battery. You may have 66Ah (24kWh) at your disposal with a fully charged new pack, but if you chose to discharge that at low current (driving really slow) vs high current (driving really aggressively) You will net more kWh on the slower drive, but your Ah consumption will be the same in both cases.

Having a "fuel" that varies depending on how you use it and a "tank" that decreases with age makes EVs more uhm.. interesting.

If the precise SOC was based on Ah remaining then SOC * Ah CAP would give an ultra precise measure of remaining Ah.. If however like Gids its a fudged guess at remaining kWh (not knowing how you will be using it) then that equation won't work.

My inclination at the moment is as earlier noted.. to provide Gids for those who like the semi-constant remaining energy display and the precise SOC for folks who really like watching the numbers move (and getting that oh so rewarding credit for regen!)
'17 blue Volt Premier w/ACC
'12 SL black Leaf
'11 SL blue Leaf
RAV4-EV 2002-2005
Gen1 & Gen2 EV1 1997-2003
PV 2.4Kw, 10kWh lithium battery SCE TOU-DA

Stanton
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 01 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 7458

Wed May 08, 2013 7:13 am

I like it...exactly as described in your original post (including price)! Most important things to me are (real) SOC% and battery temps. Keep it small and turn off the display when the car is off. I'll be following this thread for availability...
2011 Blue Ocean SV w/floor mats & window tint
12v LiFePO4 battery & FIAMM 74100 horns
Wet Okole seat covers (front)
Tor's low-power heater mod
2013 sun visor
3G modem upgrade
L2 EVSE Upgrade
Battery Pack replaced (Rev E) @51 months and 41k miles

bradbissell
Delivery Date: 29 Mar 2013
Leaf Number: 404629

Wed May 08, 2013 7:20 am

Sounds like a great option. Please consider making the enclosure black so it matches the new 2013 interior and isn't a beacon for thieves when sitting in the car.

Thanks!
Silver/Black 2013 SV Manufactured, Leased March '13, Returned Dec '15
Silver/Dark Ash 2016 Volt LT

EricBayArea
Delivery Date: 08 Oct 2011

Wed May 08, 2013 7:30 am

Greg, please put me on your list - I'm interested for $80!

Once you have final casing and such please let me know. I assume it comes with a cable to plug in and connect to the car?

Full disclosure: I was also interested in the LeafScan but since that hasn't reached a price or production, I'm interested in this.
Color: Cayenne Red
Plate: I PLGIN

lenny
Delivery Date: 03 Dec 2011

Fri May 10, 2013 12:17 am

I'm interested as well. I waited over a year for LeafScan, and have pretty much given up hope on it ever seeing the light of day.

GregH
Delivery Date: 13 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 26967

Tue May 14, 2013 10:07 am

Quick update.. updated the first post as well.
The main page now has options for:
1. Raw Gids (XXX) -or-
2. Raw SOC (XX.xx%) -or-
3. Gid% (XX.xx%) Raw Gids*0.356 -or-
4. Ah (XX.xx) Ah_Capacity * SOC.. Can't really say it's Amp hours remaining, but it's the car's estimate of the potential Ah capacity * raw precision SOC. So it will scale with your cars capacity and it is future proof such that future Leafs with higher capacities should still represent consistent units.

The new PC Boards arrive today and the first plastic shell/enclosures will be ordered today.
'17 blue Volt Premier w/ACC
'12 SL black Leaf
'11 SL blue Leaf
RAV4-EV 2002-2005
Gen1 & Gen2 EV1 1997-2003
PV 2.4Kw, 10kWh lithium battery SCE TOU-DA

Stoaty
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 3871

Tue May 14, 2013 12:07 pm

Although I love my old Gid meter and the new Leaf Battery app, the combination of True Gids and battery pack temp in a small device is just too tempting to resist. How do I place my order?
2011 Leaf with 62,000 miles given to Nephew
2013 Tesla Model S85 with 251 miles rated range at full charge
Leaf Spy Manual
Battery Aging Model Spreadsheet

thankyouOB
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 1442

Tue May 14, 2013 12:24 pm

i like it, too.

where is the OBD2 port? i see some images online but they appear to be all japanese versions with righthand drive.
may reserve/delivery 4/30/11
--
ECOtality/LADWP/ Blink 4/4/11
--
Gardena Nissan, msrp -1k
red SL with etec L3
SOLAR POWERED since 2008

Return to “LEAF CANBus”