Turbo3
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 May 2011
Leaf Number: 002191

Re: Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro

Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:25 pm

lorenfb wrote:
Turbo3 wrote:
lorenfb wrote:Turbo3 had indicated that Pro would have the ability to calculate battery resistance similar to TM-Spy & LeafDD. Can't find it either
noted in the manual nor the app itself. I would like to determine the battery resistance of the 2019 40kWh, and compare to my 2013.
Have I missed it during my search?

Sorry about that. I seem to have forgotten that request so not included in this test release of LeafSpy Pro.

As I recall now, the way it would work is you detect the voltage drop for a given large current increase.

I might see if I can implement this in a custom screen with instructions on how to run the measurement. With all accessories off and starting from a stop then floor it for a few seconds while staying within the posted speed limits. The custom screen would allow for frequent reads of the High Voltage battery volt and current.

Thanks Turbo3 for remembering this topic. I've been able to do the test using LeafSpy as described here;
http://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 20#p559503

If you could integrate the few steps used into a single operation, that would simplify the process for others interested in that type of Leaf data.

Here's how you did it for TM-Spy;

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/1381783/

The graphic of TM-Spy is more insightful than the simple numeric results.

Greatly appreciate all your efforts to continually improve LeafSpy based on users' requests.

After thinking about it I now see you can collect the data to create the graph with this new test version.

Go to the custom Screen 3 and load one of the BMS Grp1 screens. To start the test tap the black circle in the upper left corner and data including the HV Battery Voltage and Current will be saved to a csv file which you can then plot in excel. The data file will be saved in the Custom Screens folder with a name like this "BMS_Grp01_xxxxxxxxxxxxx.csv" where xxxxxx will be date/time, part of ViN and device unique information.

This data will be saved at 5 to 7 samples per second so should give you a good graph. Tap the flashing Red dot in upper left corner to stop recording data.

Later I can look at adding a graph element so you can directly plot the graph on a new custom screen 3 get like in TM-Spy.

lorenfb
Delivery Date: 22 Nov 2013
Leaf Number: 416635

Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:38 pm

Turbo3 wrote:
lorenfb wrote:
Turbo3 wrote:Sorry about that. I seem to have forgotten that request so not included in this test release of LeafSpy Pro.

As I recall now, the way it would work is you detect the voltage drop for a given large current increase.

I might see if I can implement this in a custom screen with instructions on how to run the measurement. With all accessories off and starting from a stop then floor it for a few seconds while staying within the posted speed limits. The custom screen would allow for frequent reads of the High Voltage battery volt and current.

Thanks Turbo3 for remembering this topic. I've been able to do the test using LeafSpy as described here;
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=28911&start=320#p559503

If you could integrate the few steps used into a single operation, that would simplify the process for others interested in that type of Leaf data.

Here's how you did it for TM-Spy;

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/1381783/

The graphic of TM-Spy is more insightful than the simple numeric results.

Greatly appreciate all your efforts to continually improve LeafSpy based on users' requests.

After thinking about it I now see you can collect the data to create the graph with this new test version.

Go to the custom Screen 3 and load one of the BMS Grp1 screens. To start the test tap the black circle in the upper left corner and data including the HV Battery Voltage and Current will be saved to a csv file which you can then plot in excel. The data file will be saved in the Custom Screens folder with a name like this "BMS_Grp01_xxxxxxxxxxxxx.csv" where xxxxxx will be date/time, part of ViN and device unique information.

This data will be saved at 5 to 7 samples per second so should give you a good graph. Tap the flashing Red dot in upper left corner to stop recording data.

Later I can look at adding a graph element so you can directly plot the graph on a new custom screen 3 get like in TM-Spy.

Thanks Turbo3. I'll try it in the next few days.
#1 Leaf SL MY 9/13: 74K miles, 48 Ahrs, 5.2 miles/kWh (average), Hx=70, SOH=78, L2 - 100% > 1000, temp < 95F (35C), min discharge (DOD) > 20 Ahrs
#2 Leaf SL MY 12/18: 115 Ahrs, 5.5 miles/kWh (average), Hx=98, SOH=99, DOD > 25%, temp < 105F

crunchy3d
Delivery Date: 20 Sep 2018

Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:04 pm

crunchy3d wrote:
Turbo3 wrote:- Added option in Settings/Logging to allow logging of Cell Voltages to be disabled. This will speed up logging by not reading the 96 cell voltages and shunt values from the Leaf. This is overwritten if the currently displayed screen require displaying cell/shunt data.
- The time it takes to cycle through reading all the data currently being read from the Leaf can be displayed in the lower right status area by selecting the "Hide Connect Status" option in Settings/Screen. This is helpful when evaluating different OBDII adapters for performance or to see the update speed of a custom gauge screen. Time is in seconds.

Thank you very much! Hardly waiting to test it on my next trip! ;)

Unfortunately, from updating to beta version I can't get any new Log files. Only TripChrgLog*.csv file is updated with new trips, while Log_*.scv files are not created or new data appended to old file (in the same day, of course).
My settings are (the relevant ones):

Logging:
- Enable Data Logging
- Deselected Log Cell Voltages

No Dropbox or Server

Does anybody get new data written to Log file (have I missed something?)?

crunchy3d

Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:23 pm

crunchy3d wrote:Unfortunately, from updating to beta version I can't get any new Log files. Only TripChrgLog*.csv file is updated with new trips, while Log_*.scv files are not created or new data appended to old file (in the same day, of course).

Logging:
- Enable Data Logging

No Dropbox or Server

New info. If "Log Cell Voltages" in menu "Logging" is selected (checkbox is selected), the Log_*.scv file is created. Otherwise Log_*.scv file is not created!
@Turbo3, I suppose it is a bug and Log_*.scv file should be created in both cases, except that cell voltages are not written if the checkbox is not selected?

Turbo3
Gold Member

Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:52 am

crunchy3d wrote:
crunchy3d wrote:Unfortunately, from updating to beta version I can't get any new Log files. Only TripChrgLog*.csv file is updated with new trips, while Log_*.scv files are not created or new data appended to old file (in the same day, of course).

Logging:
- Enable Data Logging

No Dropbox or Server

New info. If "Log Cell Voltages" in menu "Logging" is selected (checkbox is selected), the Log_*.scv file is created. Otherwise Log_*.scv file is not created!
@Turbo3, I suppose it is a bug and Log_*.scv file should be created in both cases, except that cell voltages are not written if the checkbox is not selected?

Thanks for the additional information that helps.

I implemented this function for the iOS version where I tested it. Then I ported it over to the Android version which I think I did not actually test so I am probably missing a little code when I ported it over.

Should be a quick fix but I am out of town right now so will not be able to test a new version until next week. If I have time I will try to release an untested new test version later today to tomorrow.

2011RedLeaf
Delivery Date: 10 Oct 2012
Leaf Number: 3999

Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:08 pm

I'm a bit confused. I have a 2019 Leaf Plus with ~ 60kWh battery & want to start paying better attention to what is going on behind the curtain - i.e. purchase LeafSpy Pro.
I'm confused which OBD-II device to get.

I was about to purchase LELink^2, but want to double check whether the statement below means the Zero-Power Mode is not usable, or the device is not usable.
I looked at the Carista - but there is a bunch of negative feedback about a yearly subscription being required to obtain full function.

The LELink/LELink^2 are Bluetooth 4.x LE for both Android and iOS devices. With the LELink^2 having a zero power mode that will be supported for 2011-2017 Leafs. It is not usable on a 2018 or newer Leaf.

The Carista is Bluetooth 4.x LE for iOS devices and standard Bluetooth for Android.

The main thing I currently want to check is traction battery temperature. The dashboard gauge hasn't moved more than 1/2 inch from the very center of the range with freeway trips 100 miles @ 80 mph or charging at 38 kW. Either Nissan has made great strides toward solving the TMS problem, or my car has a faulty gauge readout.
Currently 2019 Blue Leaf+

Turbo3
Gold Member

Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:02 pm

2011RedLeaf wrote:I'm a bit confused. I have a 2019 Leaf Plus with ~ 60kWh battery & want to start paying better attention to what is going on behind the curtain - i.e. purchase LeafSpy Pro.
I'm confused which OBD-II device to get.

I was about to purchase LELink^2, but want to double check whether the statement below means the Zero-Power Mode is not usable, or the device is not usable.
I looked at the Carista - but there is a bunch of negative feedback about a yearly subscription being required to obtain full function.

The LELink/LELink^2 are Bluetooth 4.x LE for both Android and iOS devices. With the LELink^2 having a zero power mode that will be supported for 2011-2017 Leafs. It is not usable on a 2018 or newer Leaf.

The Carista is Bluetooth 4.x LE for iOS devices and standard Bluetooth for Android.

The main thing I currently want to check is traction battery temperature. The dashboard gauge hasn't moved more than 1/2 inch from the very center of the range with freeway trips 100 miles @ 80 mph or charging at 38 kW. Either Nissan has made great strides toward solving the TMS problem, or my car has a faulty gauge readout.

The LELink^2 works fine with a 2019 Leaf. You should just not enable the special zero power mode when used with a 2018 or newer Leaf. Zero power mode comes disabled and if LeafSpy Pro detects a 2018 or newer Leaf the option to enable zero power mode is blocked.

The Carista works with LeafSpy Pro and does not require any subscription from Carista. They might be referring to some other app used with Carista that requires a yearly subscription.

Turbo3
Gold Member

Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:08 pm

crunchy3d wrote:

Logging:
- Enable Data Logging

No Dropbox or Server

I checked the code and there is no connection between the "Log Cell Voltages" option and writing to a Log file. It only controls whether the Cell Pair voltages are read from the Leaf and saved to the Log file.

The only thing I can think of is you have selected a custom screen 3 and are viewing that custom screen 3. When viewing a custom screen Logging is temporarily disabled.

I'll verify this next week when I have access to a Leaf for testing.

crunchy3d

Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:28 pm

Turbo3 wrote:I checked the code and there is no connection between the "Log Cell Voltages" option and writing to a Log file. It only controls whether the Cell Pair voltages are read from the Leaf and saved to the Log file.

The only thing I can think of is you have selected a custom screen 3 and are viewing that custom screen 3. When viewing a custom screen Logging is temporarily disabled.

I am using screen 4 (not custom screen 3). The pattern is as described. When checking "Log Cell Voltages" everything works as usual. Deselecting it causes no data written to Log file. First I thought that the problem is that I upgraded in the morning after one trip, so the afternoon trip was not added to the existing file due to (maybe) different CSV layout (e.g. cell voltages do not exist). However, when the next day the file was not written as well I made few experiments and discovered the pattern: "Log Cell Voltages" checked creates the file (or appends the data to the file) and vice versa.

virol
Delivery Date: 17 Sep 2018
Leaf Number: 2018

Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:55 am

crunchy3d wrote:
Turbo3 wrote:I checked the code and there is no connection between the "Log Cell Voltages" option and writing to a Log file. It only controls whether the Cell Pair voltages are read from the Leaf and saved to the Log file.

I am using screen 4 (not custom screen 3). The pattern is as described. When checking "Log Cell Voltages" everything works as usual. Deselecting it causes no data written to Log file. First I thought that the problem is that I upgraded in the morning after one trip, so the afternoon trip was not added to the existing file due to (maybe) different CSV layout (e.g. cell voltages do not exist). However, when the next day the file was not written as well I made few experiments and discovered the pattern: "Log Cell Voltages" checked creates the file (or appends the data to the file) and vice versa.

@Turbo3

Can comfirm what crunchy3D say's: checked log cell voltage's will write to the log file, unchecked no writing at all is done to the log file..... just did the test on my 2018 leaf.

Is it possible that the vent speed and airco status is not working on the custom screen with 2018+ leafs? (looking at user3 custom screen)

Turbo3 wrote:I understand that from leaf 2018+ there is no more (passive) CAN activity onto the ODB plug.
another approch can be when the leaf is off (asleep) and leafspy begins to poll with active CAN commands AND there is no answer (fi polling the SOH or VIN will not give a valid responce) than instruct leafspy to stop sending active commands to protect the relay clicking and assume the leaf is off..... (showing then a reconnect screen or something)

have a nice we

Yes, that can be done. There is code that handles the timeout when the Leaf does not respond which today delays a few seconds and retries. I can change that code for a 2018+ Leaf so the Service code sets a flag the foreground code can check and then ask the user to turn on the Leaf and press connect to continue. The foreground code can then tell the Service code to retry the command. I will need the message in Japanese, French and German.

The Service code runs all the time (even when the device is off) whereas the foreground code only runs when the app has the screen.

message in English label "Leaf is Off", button "Please Reconnect"
message in French label "Leaf au arrêt" button " Reconnecter svp"
message in German label "Leaf is aus" button "reconnectieren bitte"

have a nice day

Return to “LEAF CANBus”