Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK thanks. Do I have to manually disconnect the bluetooth link to the android phone, or is moving out of range enough (or will it vary by manufacturer)? Is it just that those other BLE adapter IDs are not yet in the Android version, or that the implementation is harder/easier for some adapters than others?

Turbo3 said:
https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.Turbo3.Leaf_Spy_Pro
If a Bluetooth 4.x adapter is not listed but is listed as supported on the iOS version it just means the adapter default to normal Bluetooth mode (not BLE) when connecting to an Android device.

donyjunk said:
OK thanks. Do I have to manually disconnect the bluetooth link to the android phone, or is moving out of range enough (or will it vary by manufacturer)? Is it just that those other BLE adapter IDs are not yet in the Android version, or that the implementation is harder/easier for some adapters than others?

Turbo3 said:
https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.Turbo3.Leaf_Spy_Pro
If a Bluetooth 4.x adapter is not listed but is listed as supported on the iOS version it just means the adapter default to normal Bluetooth mode (not BLE) when connecting to an Android device.
Some OBDII adapter manufacturers choose to support BLE only when connected to iOS. When they connect to Android they switch back to the non-BLE protocol.

This makes sense because iOS does not support non-BLE Bluetooth unless it has a special chip in it approved by Apple. For Android almost all apps are expecting non-BLE. Only apps that know about BLE can use BLE.

A BLE only adapter has more limited use for Android devices since it needs a matching app that supports BLE.

The manufacturer of the dual mode Adapter (BLE:iOS, non-BLE:Android) wants to keep their Android market and expand into iOS with BLE.

Hello - Looking for some guidance on this issue that has just started for me. Using Leaf Spy Pro and Leaf Logger since October without issue. I have the latest update of the Leaf Spy Pro ISO App. As of last week when I try to upload a .csv file to the Leaf Logger web site I get the standard "Upload successful!" message but then the following:

"Processed: undefined
Duplicates: undefined
Errors: undefined
Inserted: undefined"

No new data is added. Any help is appreciated.

Mark

Can SOH and Hx be more than 100% ?! I saw the screenshots from the program, but it looked like it was Japanese cars. Why can the program show this? We have not met such indicators.
https://gyazo.com/ea3c13546a6abe74d7d5756f3f9b0640
https://gyazo.com/578ad055adf15fc14356d55ab3b8377d

krox said:
Can SOH and Hx be more than 100% ?! I saw the screenshots from the program, but it looked like it was Japanese cars. Why can the program show this? We have not met such indicators.
Yes they can, at least mine is, it is currently showing around 102% for SOH.

krox said:
Keep in mind that SOH and Hx are values found many years ago by Nissan users when the Leaf first came out. This means the exact meaning and scale (range) are not know to us. Only the Nissan engineers in Japan know the exact details of these numbers. Not even Nissan service people know about these numbers.

It was assumed the max raw value started with 1 followed by all zeroes. This seemed to have been correct on earlier Leafs but now we are seeing raw values greater than this resulting in percent values greater than 100.

Since I do not know what that max value is I can not make an adjustment to limit the display to 100%. Also, if I did make such a change people who have been using LeafSpy for years and tracking these values would all of a suddenly see a drop in the percentage of these values (which naturally drop over time) just because they updated to a newer version of LeafSpy with a different maximum raw value used to convert to percentage.

So it is best to leave things as they are with some people having starting values of over 100%. As their Leafs age the values will naturally drop below 100%.

If you recall the Space Shuttle which had improved rocket engines installed they would always throttle the engines to greater than 100% (105%?) on lift off which just meant the engines had greater power than the early engines. The raw max value had changed so the max percentage needed to change to indicate greater then 100% power relative to the old engines.

Thank you, Jim. Does the testimony of the program affect the fact that the Leaf of different years of production, installed different VCM units? Leaf has a Hitachi block until 2013, Leaf after 2013 has Denso. And another question. Is it possible to say that if a Leaf with a mileage of 18,500 miles, SOH 100 or 102% - then the controller of the lithium-ion battery is someone "dumped" (zeroed)?

krox said:
Thank you, Jim. Does the testimony of the program affect the fact that the Leaf of different years of production, installed different VCM units? Leaf has a Hitachi block until 2013, Leaf after 2013 has Denso. And another question. Is it possible to say that if a Leaf with a mileage of 18,500 miles, SOH 100 or 102% - then the controller of the lithium-ion battery is someone "dumped" (zeroed)?
With LeafSpy Pro you can read the version number of each ECU on the service menu. LeafSpy does not make use of this information at this time.

It would be very suspicious to find a Leaf with 18,500 miles and such a high SOH value. That would indicate the data has been cleared from the BMS.

Turbo3 said:
It would be very suspicious to find a Leaf with 18,500 miles and such a high SOH value. That would indicate the data has been cleared from the BMS.

Or that the car had recently taken a few long trips with multiple QC sessions. Like mine.

mbWHFIW.png

Thank you. There is still a very important question!
When buying a car (it's already different), SOH was 81% and there was no 12th sticks of battery capacity. After operating for six months - SOH "grew" to 87%, but the 12th stick of the capacity of the battery never appeared! Why is that? When the 12th wand appears, what should I do? Diagnosis of the modules is "Sells OK" (damaged - no).

krox said:
Thank you. There is still a very important question!
When buying a car (it's already different), SOH was 81% and there was no 12th sticks of battery capacity. After operating for six months - SOH "grew" to 87%, but the 12th stick of the capacity of the battery never appeared! Why is that? When the 12th wand appears, what should I do? Diagnosis of the modules is "Sells OK" (damaged - no).

There is enough "deadband" programmed into the bar display to keep the capacity bars from flickering on and off so it is not likely that the 12th bar will return. Just drive the car and enjoy it as long as the range meets your needs.

jlv said:
It seems like AHr (when fully charged) is a better indicator of the remaining battery capacity than SOH or Hx.

Ahr is no better. Go back a few posts and look at the screenshot I posted. Almost 38k miles, and "like new" Ahr.

WetEV said:
jlv said:
It seems like AHr (when fully charged) is a better indicator of the remaining battery capacity than SOH or Hx.
Ahr is no better. Go back a few posts and look at the screenshot I posted. Almost 38k miles, and "like new" Ahr.
When I looked at your screenshot, my brain read "56" not "65", so I thought it made sense. But I was obviously wrong! Maybe you've stumbled on a way to bring back battery capacity. :?

jlv said:
WetEV said:
jlv said:
When I looked at your screenshot, my brain read "56" not "65", so I thought it made sense. But I was obviously wrong! Maybe you've stumbled on a way to bring back battery capacity. :?

No. Yesterday's numbers are 60.49AHr, SOH 92% Hx 92.82% 39,535 miles.

Based on trends and a recharge test a few months ago, I think the battery is down 10%. Plus or minus a few percent.

The thing to remember is that you are looking at the car's estimate, which can be in error both ways by at least a few percent even if you don't take long trips with multiple QC sessions. Temperature, driving habits, charging habits can all change the estimated capacity, and I don't think will change the actual capacity of the battery by much.

Is there any statistics, at what capacity of the battery (or at what SOH) will the 12th stick of battery capacity light up again?

krox said:
Is there any statistics, at what capacity of the battery (or at what SOH) will the 12th stick of battery capacity light up again?
I don't know of any. It doesn't matter anyway. Even if it comes back, it seems to eventually (in the near future) go away again, permanently.

My 12th bar went away near end of Nov 2017 when SOH was down to 83% (http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=511915#p511915). I've not once seen it come back, even if my SOH rose to 85% or so.

I am trying to automate charging my Leaf to only 80% using my home Openevse.

Here's what I have:
USB dongle (whatever it was that was recommended with Leaf Spy).
Leaf Spy Lite (but I'll be buying Pro if it can help me on this)
Openevse EVSE unit
Wifi board for Openevse.

So on my phone I have the SOC information (in Leaf Spy), and the ability to connect to the Openevse and set the KWH charge limit.
What I don't have is a way to communicate between Leaf Spy the Openevse web page, and do the little bit of math necessary to convert current SOC into the appropriate charge limit instruction.

Has anyone already tried something like this, or any other way to automate the 80% charge limit?

I should add that while I am not facile at Android app development, I am a professional software "engineer" (I cringe whenever I hear that) and am comfortable with learning new technologies.

Thanks

tgeliot said:
I am trying to automate charging my Leaf to only 80% using my home Openevse.
I had suggested to someone that potentially had more time on their hands that was working on OpenEVSE that they add a Bluetooth module and have the EVSE itself connect to the vehicle's OBDII adapter and control charging directly within the EVSE itself. This is probably the best solution to the problem, but involves hardware/software mods to the EVSE.

Your suggested approach would likely either require a modification to LeafSpy itself to dump charging data somewhere where you could read it (I'm not sure if the dropbox integration is "live" during charging or whether it dumps data from a charging session at the conclusion of charging, or if it even dumps that stuff to dropbox at all (sorry, I haven't played with that aspect of the app much).

Another approach using LeafSpy would be to take advantage of the fact that it does dump data into the Android file system. I suppose you could write a second app that monitored that and then sent a signal to a server you control that would then send a signal to your OpenEVSE.

But if it were me, the approach I would use would be to just use the LEAF telematics (assuming that's not an issue for you with respect to TCU upgrades and cell coverage). When you are charging you would kick off a program that requested SOC from NissanConnect. 15 minutes later you would send another request and from there estimate how long until your vehicle reaches 80% SOC. If you wanted to get precise, you could time several more requests just before that time to get it precisely at 80%, but it's probably not that important to get it that close. Once you detect an 80% (or close enough) SOC, your program then sends its signal to OpenEVSE to halt charging.

Back