Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dhanson865 said:
My Log_CT016156_2139e.csv is 158MB now I'm wondering if it might be the reason my screen 1 has bars that cover the bottom stats (cell voltage bars continue to bottom of the screen no matter what the scale is, covers all the text but doesn't affect any other screen).

It's my trip data from Nov 2015 to May 2016.

Uninstalled, renamed the folder, reinstalled.

Just remembered my phone updated to Marshmallow aka Android 6.x so that's probably why the screen draws differently. I'll email you the screenshot.

I guess it's either time to either kill off the mid price Leafspy and force us to upgrade to Pro or release a patch for the mid priced version. :)

I'm cool either way. I don't mind paying to upgrade.

LEAF Spy does not work on my MM phone. ELM simply does not connect. I don't use my primary phone for LEAF Spy anyway and only installed it to show someone else who had a LEAF...

DaveinOlyWA said:
LEAF Spy does not work on my MM phone. ELM simply does not connect. I don't use my primary phone for LEAF Spy anyway and only installed it to show someone else who had a LEAF...

It was working on mine because it was installed on lollipop 5.x and then upgraded to 6.x MM. When I uninstalled it last night it broke it, no connection now.

I guess I could use an older phone for leafspy if MM is a no go but i'd rather just use my main phone for leafspy.

http://smile.amazon.com/Alcatel-Onetouch-Elevate-Virgin-Mobile/dp/B017AED6MW is only $20.

I'll leave it up to turbo3 to decide. If he wants to fix Leafspy to work with MM I'll use the new version. If not I'll grab a cheap phone for dedicated leafspy use.

edit: I found an old android phone in the house that I could put leafspy on temporarily. Small screen (4.0 inches) but it works.

dhanson865 said:
I'll leave it up to turbo3 to decide. If he wants to fix Leafspy to work with MM I'll use the new version. If not I'll grab a cheap phone for dedicated leafspy use.
Thankfully he has not shown any slowing down in development of this project and is very actively expanding it. I'm sure this will get fixed quickly now that it had been reported.

QueenBee said:
dhanson865 said:
Thankfully he has not shown any slowing down in development of this project and is very actively expanding it. I'm sure this will get fixed quickly now that it had been reported.

Holy cow the release notes have so many changes / improvements in one version. I have to say its very impressive what he's put into this app.

lrk2 said:
lrk2 said:
dhanson865 said:
keep in mind short trips are limited by the resolution of the reported miles/km traveled. Minimum tick is 1 km or 0.621371 miles. So a 12 mile trip sill gives a pretty hefty margin of error (something like +- 5%).
Really? I'm seeing mileage values in the log of 11.2, 11.4, 11.8 miles (as well as 13.7, 14.3, 21.7), so I thought the resolution was to the 10th of a mile, which would give me less than 1% error. My average trip length is about 13 miles.
Wait a second! My calculation doesn't even involve mileage! I'm dividing the "Energy" in Watts by the number of GIDs used per trip. The average GIDs per trip is 47.4.

Yeah, I'm curious about this myself. In my LeafSpy trip logged, I summed up the Energy column then divide that value by the sum of the Gids column, and ended up with 72686Wh/1034 Gid = 70.30 Wh/Gid. And looking at the trip log, the Wh/Gid ranges anywhere from 60Wh/Gid to 88h/Gid.

babonbangke said:
lrk2 said:
lrk2 said:
Really? I'm seeing mileage values in the log of 11.2, 11.4, 11.8 miles (as well as 13.7, 14.3, 21.7), so I thought the resolution was to the 10th of a mile, which would give me less than 1% error. My average trip length is about 13 miles.
Wait a second! My calculation doesn't even involve mileage! I'm dividing the "Energy" in Watts by the number of GIDs used per trip. The average GIDs per trip is 47.4.

Yeah, I'm curious about this myself. In my LeafSpy trip logged, I summed up the Energy column then divide that value by the sum of the Gids column, and ended up with 72686Wh/1034 Gid = 70.30 Wh/Gid. And looking at the trip log, the Wh/Gid ranges anywhere from 60Wh/Gid to 88h/Gid.

gids are troublesome, just use wh and kwh instead.

miles/kwh
kwh per trip

how ever you want to think of it just avoid the gids.

Um, how would people feel if Leaf Spy was to, um, spy?
I'd love to see crowd collected data on age of car, miles and perhaps location graphed against battery health.
Especially for buying a used Leaf, it would be a huge advantage to have access to averages.

Leaf Spy, with such wide acceptance, would be an home for such data collection. And, um, it's already got the right name :).

brycenesbitt said:
I'd love to see crowd collected data on age of car, miles and perhaps location graphed against battery health.
Especially for buying a used Leaf, it would be a huge advantage to have access to averages.

Leaf Spy, with such wide acceptance, would be an home for such data collection. And, um, it's already got the right name :).

that would be cool except that mine is only connected to a network once a month or so for about 5 mins then it goes back to airplane mode...

dhanson865 said:

miles/kwh
kwh per trip

How about the simplest, i.e. just think in Ahr - miles/Ahr. Voltage (in KWh) is essentially constant as the
battery's energy declines.

lorenfb said:
dhanson865 said:

miles/kwh
kwh per trip

How about the simplest, i.e. just think in Ahr - miles/Ahr. Voltage (in KWh) is essentially constant as the

because my electric company charges me by kWh and every other electric car uses Wh/mile or miles/kWh so it's good to get in the habit with the Leaf so you don't have to relearn when you get a Tesla or something else.

dhanson865 said:
lorenfb said:
dhanson865 said:

miles/kwh
kwh per trip

because my electric company charges me by kWh and every other electric car uses Wh/mile or miles/kWh so it's good to get in the habit with the Leaf so you don't have to relearn when you get a Tesla or something else.

And because most think of battery capacity loss, potential range, remaining bars, and a BEV's used market
value based on the vehicle's Ahr. Besides, most threads on this forum seem to focus on Ahr when discussing
the Leaf's battery condition.

I honestly haven't paid attention to AHr since I bought the car. The only reason I look at AHr is to see if the bars have been reset.

I look at SOH% once I trust the bar status.

DaveinOlyWA said:
brycenesbitt said:

that would be cool except that mine is only connected to a network once a month or so for about 5 mins then it goes back to airplane mode...

I've been hoping for this feature for a while as it would allow a massive amount of data be collected on a huge amount of cars and would allow Plugin America to do much better studies than their current subjective survey method.

Dave, once a month would be more than enough. We wouldn't need real time data.

QueenBee said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
brycenesbitt said:

I've been hoping for this feature for a while as it would allow a massive amount of data be collected on a huge amount of cars and would allow Plugin America to do much better studies than their current subjective survey method.

Dave, once a month would be more than enough. We wouldn't need real time data.

So would I. For this I would do it once a week or so.

How about an option to "Submit your data anonymously to help others learn more about the Leaf batteries"? That way whoever wants to submit can.

Tonyt said:
How about an option to "Submit your data anonymously to help others learn more about the Leaf batteries"? That way whoever wants to submit can.

a lack of a "opt in" would turn off many people simply on the grounds of principle...

Firstly, thanks Turbo3 for the app and all the work you've already done.

I've recently figured out how to read the software version of the control units in the Leaf as well as some other interesting data from the LBC and documented this here:

http://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=11676&p=463562#p463562

I think it would be great if Leaf Spy Pro could do this. It would allow LeafSpy Pro users and the community on this forum to learn the following:

- If a car has all the latest software updates or not
- Exactly which LBC Nissan is fitting to cars that are getting new battery packs. i.e if a 2011 car gets a new battery under warranty then what LBC is fitted to that pack?
- Checking what control units are the same and what is different between 24kWh and 30kWh cars.

I have already compiled a spreadsheet with all the known VCMs and LBC software versions and what years and models they should fit. I would be happy to post it if anyone is interested. It is mostly complete but I'm sure there will be a few errors in it. If everyone had the ability to easily check what control unit versions they were running through LeafSpy Pro then I'm sure we could weed out any inaccuracies pretty quickly.

So.... what do you think Turbo3?

Well I finally bought Leaf Spy Pro as an upgrade to Leaf Spy.

My 12v battery got low enough to throw DTCs

Note the TPMS warnings even though my tires are between 40 and 50 PSI.

The other 6 DTCs are likely just as bogus.

uzzMzpa.png

I had a strange situation where my car was plugged in, but refusing to charge even when I hit the timer override button or attempted to start charging remotely. I pulled DTC codes and found this:

P3177 00C0 EV/HEV ECU Activation Err EVC-242

Has anybody else had this issue, or have any idea what could cause it?

link to screenshot

Back