LeafDD - Dash Display for Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dgpcolorado said:
darelldd said:
... So for the meters that are showing an SOH value - where does that come from? Is it simply Ah capacity of the pack relative to capacity of a new pack?
Yes, I believe that this is the meaning of "SOH" on LEAF Spy and similar devices. I think, but am not sure, that they use 66.25 Ah as 100%. I am reluctant to wade through the massive LEAF Spy threads since I use the relatively simple Leaf DD instead.
No.
It is an integer value reported via the Car CAN.

Although it does tend to be close to % capacity, and many have called it that incorrectly, there is nothing to clearly document what Nissan considers it to be.

Like all the other values on the CAN, Nissan has refused to document any of them.
All we have is a lot of reverse engineering guesses by a lot of smart people.

kensiko said:
So we can't purchase it anymore?
LEAFDD is no longer in production.
Have to find someone willing to sell one.
I haven't used mine much, but currently not willing to sell.
I should start using it more as it does give a great way to measure battery impedance and is the only device I have that communicates with the EV CAN.

I purchased a used LeafDD from someone here on MNL but when I plug it in all I get is gibberish :( I cycle through the various screens but the only one I can just barely make out is one that has a large number on it, maybe the GIDs?? On a full battery it started out at 204 if that makes sense and quickly dropped as I drove. I tried reseating the plug and wiggling wire but I can't really read anything....any ideas :? is the maker still around for support? the way it is, it's basically worthless to me :(

BTW I'm trying to use it on a '12 Leaf SL if it matters.

jjeff said:
I purchased a used LeafDD from someone here on MNL but when I plug it in all I get is gibberish :( I cycle through the various screens but the only one I can just barely make out is one that has a large number on it, maybe the GIDs?? On a full battery it started out at 204 if that makes sense and quickly dropped as I drove. I tried reseating the plug and wiggling wire but I can't really read anything....any ideas :? is the maker still around for support? the way it is, it's basically worthless to me :(

BTW I'm trying to use it on a '12 Leaf SL if it matters.

LeafDD should have no problems on a 2011/2012. There was a problem with the display early on (I had it with LeafDD #8) that required re-soldering of the display header to the PC board; more like re-flowing to be honest (although I had to add some solder). You might take a look at that if you're feeling adventurous.

I tried the LeafDD on my '13 and it's the same, gibberish. I'd post a photo of it but it doesn't look like MNL supports photos other than on a remote site, which I don't have. I kind of looked at the back of the board(since there is no back?? I take it this is normal?) and all the solder joints look OK but I do wonder as it has no back if it could have gotten a static electricity jolt to scramble something?? It seems nicely made but again it's hard to believe there was never a back.....seems very venerable to shorting out or static discharge.
I think I'll wait another day and then PM the maker(gregH) to see if he has any repair options available, then again maybe he's not supporting them anymore since he no longer sells them....

I have a Lincomatic multi-page meter for sale if anyone wants one... I no longer have the Leaf so have no need for it... Make me a reasonable offer and it is yours.

jjeff said:
I kind of looked at the back of the board(since there is no back?? I take it this is normal?) and all the solder joints look OK but I do wonder as it has no back if it could have gotten a static electricity jolt to scramble something??

Just because solder joints "look OK" doesn't mean they're OK. I'm talking about ALL the pins on the OLED display header: they need to be re-flowed/soldered and checked for shorts afterwards. He hasn't sold these things for a couple of years (sold everything he made), and he basically did it "out of the kindness of his heart"; he didn't really make a profit on these things (they were much cheaper--and better--than alternatives at the time).

Does anyone happen to have a copy of the 3D file for the enclosure?

I'd like to print a new one, but hoping to avoid having to start from scratch.

I probably have the CAD for the LeafDD enclosure somewhere..

Btw, just dropping off my Leaf after 3.5 years (5.5 years total Leaf experience) and no longer have a need for my (somewhat beat up, but functional) LeafDD. If you live in Orange County, CA and would like to pick it up, it's yours for free! Not willing to ship it.

Either way, email me at dashdisplay at gmail.

Fwiw, 46272 miles in 42 months. 45.1Ah, just under 200 gids on a full charge. Just picked up a new Volt Premier with all the bells and whistles (adaptive cruise control). The Volt btw also has about 200 gids (14kWh) worth of juice.

GregH said:

Btw, just dropping off my Leaf after 3.5 years (5.5 years total Leaf experience) and no longer have a need for my (somewhat beat up, but functional) LeafDD. If you live in Orange County, CA and would like to pick it up, it's yours for free! Not willing to ship it.

Fwiw, 46272 miles in 42 months. 45.1Ah, just under 200 gids on a full charge. Just picked up a new Volt Premier with all the bells and whistles (adaptive cruise control). The Volt btw also has about 200 gids (14kWh) worth of juice.

New to the Leaf/EV world, but have been amazed at the "pioneering" work done by you and many others that resulted in major advances for current Leaf owners enjoy - including Turbo's LeafSpy, but certainly not limited to such - especially for us DIY'ers.

THANKS

Marktm said:
GregH said:

New to the Leaf/EV world, but have been amazed at the "pioneering" work done by you and many others that resulted in major advances for current Leaf owners enjoy - including Turbo's LeafSpy, but certainly not limited to such - especially for us DIY'ers.

THANKS

Yes, just to add my voice here:

Greg, I got a handy LeafDD from you a few years ago and while I had my Leaf it served me well. Then I donated it to the Tucson EV Assocation (TEVA) and so it (and a few other gauges) have helped gather data. A bit of the data ended up here I guess (certainly mine did, as judged by a couple of different pieces of equipment, including yours) and then Tom Saxton and PIA did an excellent job of collecting and organizing and making some sense of the data:

https://survey.pluginamerica.org/leaf/vehicles.php?order=location

[one can see the pattern of lost bars in the Arizona vehicles, in part thanks to Greg and others.]

I think the think I liked about the LeafDD was it was really just plug-and-play, and so this was helpful for me (not very technology savvy) and also helpful I think to some other members of TEVA, as it required no setup for them to see how their batteries were doing.

So, my main point is just to let Greg know that his device served well and we here in Arizona appreciate it.

Josh

I have used the LeafDD for several years and think of it as just part of the car that should have been designed in by Nissan. It is absolutely indispensable, especially now that my Leaf has lost about 28% of the original capacity. Without it, I wouldn't be comfortable on some of the longer drives. Thanks for an amazing design, simple to use!

Being able to constantly view remaining Ahrs provided by the LeafDD or LeafSpy and projecting a realistic
remaining range is indispensable for a BEV. Having to rely on SOC, e.g. having an ICEV with a "shrinking fuel
tank", contributes to increased range anxiety combined with the unreliable Leaf's GOM.

I am sorry if I don't sound sympathetic but, who gives a hoot about having seriously accurate data on battery remaining... It sounds really excessive and obsessive. Actually a person that needs to know exactly how much juice is left has "range anxiety" before they press the ON button of the car... How many people with a gas car need to constantly know how many more miles the have on their gas tank... When the needle gets low, you fill it up...

powersurge said:
I am sorry if I don't sound sympathetic but, who gives a hoot about having seriously accurate data on battery remaining... It sounds really excessive and obsessive. Actually a person that needs to know exactly how much juice is left has "range anxiety" before they press the ON button of the car...
Ridiculous! The LeafDD prevents range anxiety.

Back