Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kevinleaf said:
azguy: if you have 292 gid's you are doing really well. If your batt temps are consistently over 100f this won't last long...

Is the "hot weather" battery pack I heard rumors of?

Yes i have the lizard battery ,lets see how it lasts AZ 110+ summer .http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17168&hilit=lizard" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Berlino said:
kevinleaf said:
azguy: if you have 292 gid's you are doing really well.
Someone with a 2015 here also has 292 GIDs. Not sure if this is standard for MY15.
Interesting - did Nissan also sneak in a small capacity increase with the lizard battery? 11 GIDs would be around 0.8 kWh more usable.

drees said:
Berlino said:
kevinleaf said:
azguy: if you have 292 gid's you are doing really well.
Someone with a 2015 here also has 292 GIDs. Not sure if this is standard for MY15.
Interesting - did Nissan also sneak in a small capacity increase with the lizard battery? 11 GIDs would be around 0.8 kWh more usable.

If he's not an outlier, I wonder if a slightly modified battery chemistry can throw off the data that we are used to. I asked him for some other info from LEAF Spy pro and it surprised me:

SOC% at a full charge = 97.3% (the same as my MY13)
SOH = 100% (expected)
Hx = 97.10% --- In my car, you basically round off Hx to get SOH, so I anticipated over 100% for this.
AHr = 62.99 --- A huge surprise. I expected over 67 for someone getting 292 GIDs. I've seen between 260 and 284 GIDs on a full charge, roughly corresponding to AHr's between 60.x and 67.x, so 62.99 would have led me to predict ~270 GIDs.

LeafSpyPro numbers from my 2015 S leaf after charging battery 100% , notice SOC is only 96% .
I feel LeafPro should be updated for 2015 Leaf.

Date/Time
7/25/2014 8:23
Gids -292
SOC -96.9685
AHr - 64.30

azguy said:
LeafSpyPro numbers from my 2015 S leaf after charging battery 100% , notice SOC is only 96% .

Date/Time
Gids -292
SOC -96.9685
AHr - 64.30
What exactly would need to be updated?

The SOC value comes directly from the Leaf so 96.9685 is correct unless you are saying Nissan engineering/programmers got it wrong.

As far as I know no company charges their battery to 100% if they want it to last. Nissan intentionally limits it to around 95%.

The only item I can think of might be the percent Gids which is based on 281 the original max for 2011/12 Leafs. But I would prefer to keep it that way to give an indication that more energy is available in new models.

Turbo3 said:
azguy said:

Date/Time
Gids -292
SOC -96.9685
AHr - 64.30
What exactly would need to be updated?

The SOC value comes directly from the Leaf so 96.9685 is correct unless you are saying Nissan engineering/programmers got it wrong.

As far as I know no company charges their battery to 100% if they want it to last. Nissan intentionally limits it to around 95%.

The only item I can think of might be the percent Gids which is based on 281 the original max for 2011/12 Leafs. But I would prefer to keep it that way to give an indication that more energy is available in new models.
If you notice below GID % is 103.9% and SOC 97.2 % , I have also noticed GID's 293,SOC 97.5% and AHR 64.37 . Using SPyPRO for last 4 days , not sure if there are some default values that should be changed for 2015 to get some of these metrics correct .
win69w.jpg

azguy said:
If you notice below GID % is 103.9% and SOC 97.2 % , I have also noticed GID's 293,SOC 97.5% and AHR 64.37 . Using SPyPRO for last 4 days , not sure if there are some default values that should be changed for 2015 to get some of these metrics correct .
Again - what's to correct? Leaf Spy simply reports what the car is broadcasting over the CAN bus. I guess you might change "100%" for GIDs, but it's a bit premature to do that at this point.

azguy said:
Not sure if i have to update some LeafSPy Pro settings to get the SOC % to 100 when battery is fully charged ,
my readings when fully charged
win69w.jpg
What you are probably confusing is what the LEAF instrumentation reports for status of charge, and the #s the LEAF uses internally and that LEAF Spy reports.
The LEAF shows 100% for "fully" charged to the maximum cell voltage the Nissan software allows.
The internal #s that LEAF Spy reads and reports show theoretical maximums. Nissan software does not let you charge to the theoretical maximums because it would be riskier on battery long term reliability.

A brand new LEAF will not show 100% status of charge. But your 2015 readings are strange compared to earlier LEAFs.
But readings on new batteries often take weeks to stabilize as discussed in Battery Replacement thread.
Best to not worry too much about them till you see the trend after several weeks.

GregH said:
azguy said:
I have also noticed GID's 293,SOC 97.5% and AHR 64.37

292 Gids with 64.3Ah?
293 Gids with 64.37Ah?
Does. Not. Compute...

ahr values do vary even if the GID count does not. I have seen ahr as low as 64.90 and as high as 67.36 ahr with GID at 284 (max for 2013's) now whether is some sort of adjustment going on with LEAF BMS or what, I don't know but does lend to the belief that not all GIDs are created equally.

I think the more telling stat is starting to be the kwh available.

Finally got the LEAF spy working. Well, my son did - he has an Android phone and likes electronic tinkering (for example, he installed aftermarket heated seats, front and rear, in our 2011).

At 26k miles and almost 20 months after acquisition our 2012 LEAF is at 90% SOC. Probably what you'd expect for a cooler climate. At 16.5k miles our 2011 LEAF is at 86%. Not a surprise - the 2011 LEAF spent 17 months, including one summer, at a Houston area dealer getting driven only 1600 miles. As I expected when I bought it there was apparently some heat-caused degradation. Interestingly the range difference hasn't been noticeable, however the 2011 LEAF has been doing that "80% charge shows only 9 bars" thing so I figured it was getting close to losing the first capacity bar.

Is there a way to get the app to log directly to an ES File Explorer Cloud-share folder. I had to move files from my SD card to via ES File Explorer to my DropBox account (I wasn't able to connect to Drive) so I could continue logging. I'd be nice if it wrote directly to the cloud so I could access the logs anywhere. Then again, I don't have 24/7 web access as I'm only using WiFi not mobile. So it'd have to be cached cloud sharing. But the idea is it only takes up space for the current log when not connected to the network.

TimeHorse said:
Is there a way to get the app to log directly to an ES File Explorer Cloud-share folder. I had to move files from my SD card to via ES File Explorer to my DropBox account (I wasn't able to connect to Drive) so I could continue logging. I'd be nice if it wrote directly to the cloud so I could access the logs anywhere. Then again, I don't have 24/7 web access as I'm only using WiFi not mobile. So it'd have to be cached cloud sharing. But the idea is it only takes up space for the current log when not connected to the network.
Install the FolderSync app to automatically transfer the log file to the cloud.

The free version can be set to transfer as frequently as every 5 minutes.

The pay version can be set to transfer every time the file is updated.

This is what I and others use. With WiFi as soon at the device gets in range of your network it will update the cloud. If you have a data plan on the phone it will update the cloud every few seconds if the log rate is set to minimum. This way you can monitor the Leaf location and status with LeafLogger.

TimeHorse said:
Is there a way to get the app to log directly to an ES File Explorer Cloud-share folder.
With a little help from kevinleaf, I just did what you seem to be asking, using Dropbox and Dropsync.

With Dropsync, you select a folder on your phone and tell it where to copy the files to in Dropbox. It was easy to set up and you can select to delete the files from your phone or not after they are in your Dropbox.

Minor bug (Pro v0.33.41):

On the elevation screen, if the car is stopped and you select clear, the screen does not clear until you start moving.

patrick0101 said:
Minor bug (Pro v0.33.41):

On the elevation screen, if the car is stopped and you select clear, the screen does not clear until you start moving.
As part of the speed improvement screens are not update unless there is a change. However, I did not set the change flag when the clear button was pressed so the graph did not get updated until the elevation/speed data changed or you changed screen orientation.

Will be fixed in the next release. Since this is only a minor bug I will wait until there are additional changes before releasing it.

Keep the reports coming.

Yup.
My compass app has a HUD mode that works surprisingly well at night (just lay it on the dash and read from the reflection in the windshield) but not so much during the day. Just needs a brighter display for daytime use. That is what navdy should do instead of messing with the extra screen.

Now to pull this somewhat back on topic, how about a HUD mode on Leaf Spy?

Back