Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TimLee said:
This was fairly rapid clicking while the car was charging.
LEAF Spy Pro 0.31.31 had been running with car in Ready. Turned LEAF off without shutting down LEAF Spy Pro, plugged in, pushed over ride button to charge to 100%.
LEAF Spy Pro did reestablish connection and there was no clicking.
But couple hours later when LEAF was approaching fully charged but was still charging the relay was fast clicking. Note 3 was plugged in to the LEAF 12V outlet.
In that case I will need an ELM trace and also the ERRdata.txt file you will find in LEAF_BT_CAN/DEBUG_FILES to see what is going on.

Do you recall what the status message was in the lower right corner during the rapid clicking and any state number(s) listed?

==========================================
Update:
I was able to reproduce and get an ELM trace. I will look it over and see what is going on. Seems like the Charge has to be going for 15 minutes before it starts with the clicking.
ELM Trace shows nothing unusual. It would appear there is another window 15 minutes after the start of a charge where the Leaf goes to sleep even while charging.

In this "sleep" mode the VCM is going to close the relay anytime it gets a command. That means there is no way to avoid the rapid clicking under these conditions since Leaf Spy is collecting data.

The new code only avoids rapid clicking when not charging.

I have the leafspy app pro app thanks. I have set it to log but I see that the Pack amps is always at 0 - is there something I need to do to get this figure in the log at all?

Turbo3 said:
jaimev said:
I mentioned previously that this had become my screen of choice, 95% of the time, when driving the Leaf. It was nice seeing the red/green bars (in v0.29.20) while braking - it was a good aid in learning how quickly one could decelerate while still regenerating power, and not have the mechanical brake kick in. While cruising, I also found the motor amp plot interesting to look at, as it slowly rolled out over time.

With 0.29.21, although the real power motor power is displayed, I find I really miss the red/green bars. I know I can switch to the alternate Braking screen and get them there. But when cruising. the red/green braking historical plots are (imho) not really interesting to look at because they're static and they're concatenations of disjointed braking episodes which don't have much meaning to me as I drive down the road.

In my ideal world, I'd love to have the old Motor Amp and Accelerator screen restored as a 3rd choice of available experimental screen.

Finally, I noticed that the Settings->Braking->Change Window Size value still only effects the Braking screen, and not the Motor Power And Accelerator screen. Was this by choice? Was there a reason that the Motor Power screen history is not similarly adjustable, or perhaps tied to the same setting?

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I turned ELM trace on when I view the Motor Power and Accelerator screen back in 0.29.20. I found that it significantly reduced the number of times the app hanged for me when viewing those experimental screens.
Good new for you . The next version of Leaf Spy Pro will add back in the option to display Braking on the Motor Power screen.

Since I am still testing this feature out you need to enable it on the Debug panel of the Settings menu. The new option replaces the now discontinued "AltGids" option and is named "Brake & Motor Combined". Just check it and the Red and Green bars will replace the Blue Accelerator bar when braking.

This next version also has several fixes for the hangs that sometimes occur when exiting the Brake/Motor screen to one of the other screens.

I will be doing my final testing tonight and if all goes well it will be released to the test group tonight as well.

Just a quick status on how this feature has gone for me the past few days. I enabled the Braking display on the Motor Power screen in 0.31.32 and although it works occasionally, it's a bit too unstable and prone to hanging to serve as my primary screen like before.

Whereas 0.29.20 would often go an entire day without hanging on my Kyocera Event (although I needed ELM trace on to make it this stable), 0.31.32 will often only last less than a minute before hanging, and even a shorter duration when there's frequent braking. Many times, it would freeze, reconnect, and manage to recover and display again. Sometimes it would freeze, and I could step back to Screen 4 and eventually I could reconnect. But it was never completely stable enough in the Motor Power Screen to make it usable.

If it helps you any, here's the contents of my LEAF_BT_CAN directory: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/574674/LEAF_BT_CAN_Jaime_Villacorte.zip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Turbo3 said:
New feature coming in next release has a graph of Quick Charging. Red line is SOC % (y-scale 50 = 100%) and magenta = Gids % where 281 gids=100%.

This is a live graph while charging.

The first QC ended a little over 80% (40 on y-scale). The second QC ended at a little over 90% SOC (45 on the y-scale).

yi8z.png
This chart is very cool! I'd love to see how QC compares on different cars and charging stations... Can it log the data, too?

mattcarr said:
I have the leafspy app pro app thanks. I have set it to log but I see that the Pack amps is always at 0 - is there something I need to do to get this figure in the log at all?
At the moment that is just a place holder.

I may add it in a future version but since the logging sample rate is in seconds I am not sure how useful it would be.

Well, if you are able to sum the cell voltages and also have the AMP reading at that time then you can work out the instant power - it is just more useful data :)

drees said:
Turbo3 said:
New feature coming in next release has a graph of Quick Charging. Red line is SOC % (y-scale 50 = 100%) and magenta = Gids % where 281 gids=100%.

This is a live graph while charging.

The first QC ended a little over 80% (40 on y-scale). The second QC ended at a little over 90% SOC (45 on the y-scale).

yi8z.png
This chart is very cool! I'd love to see how QC compares on different cars and charging stations... Can it log the data, too?
All the data is currently saved in the log file. However, there is a bug in the saved QC power that dropped the high order bit so the power is never greater than 25.5 kW. The next release fixes that and adds in this graph feature.

Here are graphs of before and after the fix. The before is what you get with the currently released app log file.
cvxi.png
lc6w.png

The version of the app I have now does not save the graph data so when you restart the app if defaults to this sample graph. I may add the ability to name and save/load graph data if that would be useful.

mattcarr said:
Well, if you are able to sum the cell voltages and also have the AMP reading at that time then you can work out the instant power - it is just more useful data :)
Don't have instant power during logging.

CAN is a serial link so it takes tens to hundreds of msecs to read each value. So if the data is changing quickly the volts, amps, power don't match up.

Thanks to the person who reported this crash.

Apr 22 3:47 PM
Galaxy S Blaze (SGH-T769)
recd phone call while in brake/regen screen which might have caused problem.

Fixed the code so bad data does not crash program. I had protected against bad data in the payload section but missed doing it on the header.

It is very helpful to report crashes and include a short note of the conditions at the time.

I have been meaning to add this graph for a long time now. This is GPS elevation not elevation above sea level. But all we care about is relative elevation changes so it is good enough. This trip started at Nissan's Research Center in Sunnyvale which I am pretty sure is not 100 feet below sea level as it it right next to the SF bay. It does explain why I used more energy coming home then going there. The +/- is accuracy value. I might add saving this graph too like I allow for QCs.

yabw.png
sf16.png

Here is an L2 3.3kW charge from this morning.
l5ih.png

As I recall, the GPS geoid (zero-elevation surface) attempts to match the
mean sea level around the earth, but the equator is about 40 miles higher
than the poles, due to the spinning of the earth.

Local land mass density and geo plate thickness help cause some of the
rest of the variations. There is an altitude correction factor, included in
the typical full GPS data, as I dimly remember, to correct the GPS geoid to
local MSL.

Since the LEAF does not use the altitude, as far as I know,
it is most likely just reporting the uncorrected altitude on the CAN bus.

Or, I could be totally mistaken.

A discussion of the GPS geoid and MSL irregularities:
http://www.esri.com/news/arcuser/0703/geoid1of3.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers, Gary

Probably not... Virtually all the GPS chipsets in use these days do the calculation internally so the altitude the Leaf is outputting should be corrected.
However, accurate attitude is much more difficult to do on a GPS than location, and an error of 100' is quite common and expected. WAAS can help improve this some but
it is unknown if this is implemented in the Leaf GPS... The GPS chartplotter on my boat reports altitude for some reason (maybe for those on lakes) and I typically see an altitude of from minus 30 feet to plus 40 feet on the ocean... And that is with WAAS.

garygid said:
Since the LEAF does not use the altitude, as far as I know,
it is most likely just reporting the uncorrected altitude on the CAN bus.

Leaf Spy uses the GPS from the Android device not from the Leaf (not all Leafs have NAV).

The data I showed is from a Kyocera if anyone wants to look up the specs on its GPS chip.

The main point I was trying to make is that the elevation that is plotted may be way off from what you think it should be based on your actual location. But the relative change should be correct within the accuracy displayed. I am assuming the accuracy number applies to x, y and z.

How good the elevation is depends on the chipset in your Android device and the number of satellites it has locked on to.

Turbo3 said:
Here is an L2 3.3kW charge from this morning.
l5ih.png

@Turbo3, are you going to implement a second Y-axis scale for %SOC/%GID? On your L2 charge example, it's tough to tell what the scaling factor should be in order to read those components correctly. A key on the graph, showing which color is which might be helpful, too. Any way to scale/scroll the X-axis? Does it work on '13/'14 models? I know the EVSE messaging is busted on those...is this from the same source?

Just my $0.02.

--G

%SOC is always higher than %Gids. Top y-scale line is always 100%. Y-axis label is a number not a text string so can't display both kW and % numbers. Limits of graph routine. I might put a second y-scale on the right side for %. No scaling/scrolling of x-axis (at this time). The data can be saved to the SD card in .csv format so you can do post processing if you want.

Should work on '13/'14 models since it comes from a different place.
Update
- The power graph will work on '13/'14 if you keep the Leaf turned on. Otherwise the Leaf goes to sleep after a few minutes. Pressing the brake pedal will wake it up for another two minutes. Whereas '11/'12 are awake while charging.
- Added % scale on the right side. Last zero in 100 gets clipped a little but I think that is good enough.
- Changed screen logic so if screen is Frozen tapping does not cause screen to switch. This allows you to touch the screen while examining data without having the graph go away. This mode could also allow a future version to zoom and move the graph around using drag and pinch gestures.

xt3g.png

OK, I knew how to do this once and have forgotten, and I can't find it anywhere, so...

I have two phones with two different numbers and accounts. I bought Spy Pro on one and Turbo told be how to also download it to the second without having to buy it twice... It had something to do with changing the account name or number on the second phones account, downloading, and then changing it back afterwards... I've got two new phones now and need to do it again... The specifics of how to do this would be appreciated! (About the only thing I like about the iPad is that something like this is trivially easy on it... My wife and I do it with our two all the time...)

Thanks!

For the WIKI I am pleased to report that HTC EVO 4G (PC36100) phone works with the LEAF SPY program and supports the motor/accelerator screen and the brake screen. I am using the bluetooth adapter Turbo3 has linked.

TomT said:
OK, I knew how to do this once and have forgotten, and I can't find it anywhere, so...

I have two phones with two different numbers and accounts. I bought Spy Pro on one and Turbo told be how to also download it to the second without having to buy it twice... It had something to do with changing the account name or number on the second phones account, downloading, and then changing it back afterwards... I've got two new phones now and need to do it again... The specifics of how to do this would be appreciated! (About the only thing I like about the iPad is that something like this is trivially easy on it... My wife and I do it with our two all the time...)

Thanks!

Ok, since many android phones have other "skins" on top by the phone manufacturer, this might be slightly different - but it should get you close enough to do this, this is from an unskinned phone (pure android). In addition the android version could also cause other small changes to how this works:

I am assuming one of the phones uses the account that you bought leaf spy pro on. So I will just assume that for now.

On the phone that needs leaf spy, go to your phone's settings. Under settings should be a header "Accounts" and a button to "add account". Add the gmail email of the "account" that has leaf spy pro purchased under (will need password obviously). Uncheck/check all the items you want to come over to the phone (emails, contact list, etc.) and confirm the addition.

Once this email account has been added go to the Google Play store. In the upper left should be the thee lines to access options (if not you may have a earlier version of the Google Play store - see if you can't get the latest version or find the options for that version). On the top of the options is the account that is current in the play store, hit the down arrow to see all accounts and select the account you just added. Go to the leaf spy pro app (either by "my apps" or finding it in the store). Download the app (since this account already had purchased it). Once downloaded and installed, switch accounts back to the original in the play store (using the same method).

Done and enjoy!

Back