Blink HQ installed

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sc540i

Just get this Blink HQ installed in my garage this weekend. Have electrician put in a 40A breaker and run #8 wire to a box with NEMA 15-50 socket. I thought mounting the HQ between the garage door is the best location. Blink activated $100 credit in my blink account as soon as the unit shipped.
iwsb.jpg

dm33 said:
Is that the new Blink HQ? I thought it was hard wired only, yet I see a plug in your picture.

Yes, it is the new HQ. It is hard wired only but I add power cord myself. You can easily find pre-fabricated power cord for the kind of 240V socket you want. I choose NEMA 14-50 for the future of charging other EV like Tesla. There are number of power cord you can choose from and mostly they are made for Dryer or Oven appliance.

sc540i:
1) Is there a "User's Manual" (and maybe a separate "Installer's Manual") for your Blink HQ EVSE that is accessible via the internet?
2) Can you say what are the programmable features?
3) Was 8/2 cable used or 8/3 (i.e. included (usually) white neutral wire)?

MikeD said:
sc540i:
1) Is there a "User's Manual" (and maybe a separate "Installer's Manual") for your Blink HQ EVSE that is accessible via the internet?
2) Can you say what are the programmable features?
3) Was 8/2 cable used or 8/3 (i.e. included (usually) white neutral wire)?

1) User manual is including installation instruction. It is same as the installation manual of Bosch Power Max model. I cannot find online manual from Blink site. The unit has a ethernet port inside the connector compartment but it is for diagnostic purpose according to Blink. 2) No programmable features except Blink unit has time delay function. Simply press the button # of times to select delay hours showing by LED in the front of unit. A Stop button is next to time delay button. Then a power on/off switch is located at the side. All layout and dimension is same as Bosch model except Blink HQ has time delay feature. From other reference, I also notice Delta electronics also provide similar product as Blink HQ. More document provided at Bosch and Delta site. Here is the link of delta product : http://www.deltaww.com/evcs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Delta has office in Fremont, CA. 3) There is no AC input wires come with the unit. I bought a dryer power cord for my purpose to the wall socket. You can find 30A power cord for 3 wires or 4 wires. Blink HQ and other EVSE is used 3 wires configuration as most of 240V residential is not a true 3 phase. The wiring label is ground + L1 + L2. No neutral wire. Therefore 3 wires configuration is common in EVSE although I put a NEMA 14-50 outlet with 3 #8 wires plus ground bus (conduit) from a 40A breaker panel.

sc540i said:
... I bought a dryer power cord for my purpose to the wall socket. You can find 30A power cord for 3 wires or 4 wires. Blink HQ and other EVSE is used 3 wires configuration as most of 240V residential is not a true 3 phase. The wiring label is ground + L1 + L2. No neutral wire. Therefore 3 wires configuration is common in EVSE although I put a NEMA 14-50 outlet with 3 #8 wires plus ground bus (conduit) from a 40A breaker panel.
Good thing you did. The EVSE requires a 40a circuit. A 30a plug, outlet, and breaker are not sufficient.

sc540i

are you happy with the charger? I pre-ordered and awaiting shipment.. but with all the terrible news about Blinks possible bankruptcy, I am concerned with warranty or even product support.

Sorry to deafen the mood.. just looking for advice on keeping or canx order and going with Bosch.

Thanks

kidkenpo said:
sc540i

are you happy with the charger? I pre-ordered and awaiting shipment.. but with all the terrible news about Blinks possible bankruptcy, I am concerned with warranty or even product support.

Sorry to deafen the mood.. just looking for advice on keeping or canx order and going with Bosch.

Thanks

At this point, the unit is running fine. I try not to concern about the warranty yet. This unit is same as Bosch Max power from the same manufacture ( in China ). I do have confident the unit should last long. I still prefer the look of Blink comparing to Bosch. What I am worry now if the $100 credit. I am trying to figure out a plan to use all credit up in a short time. BTW, just receive Blink followup email about the unit and other type of survey from their rep. At least they are still in business.

Thank you for the info and glad that its working rock solid... There are a few of us that purchased and have the same questions... since Delta builds the Bosch and the Blink.. will they warranty the product..

But the 100 dlls is really the key. Originaly the idea was a wash as the blink was 100 more than the Bosch... but we thought we would be using the credit. As you say.. this could be a downer if we lose the 100...

Thanks again.
H

Can I verify how you wired the power cord to the Blink HQ? This assumes the power cord has 4 wires: Green, Red, Black, and White. It also assumes that the electrician installed the NEMA 14-50 receptacle properly.

PE = Green (Protective Earth)
L2 = Black (Line 2)
L1 = Red (Line 1)
Then just put a wire nut on the end of the White (Neutral) wire on the end of the power cord.

It seems pretty straight forward, I just wanted to make sure before I flip the breaker on.

Just swapped out the old Blink for the HQ. The instructions were inadequate. There were errors as well; the guide says there is a PE, L1 and L2. This one has a N, L1 and L2. But after some mishaps it is working well now.
There is an On/Off switch and I have to remember to turn it off. My old Blink did not have an On/Off switch, you just unplugged it.

Back