Interest in Extended Warranties... Leasing a Used Leaf?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PlattAuto

Hi, Greg here at Platt Auto in Portland. There has really never been much available in the used Leaf market for Extended Warranties. We have been working with a provider of extended service contracts to develop something for the leaf. Since the factory bumper to bumper warranty is 3 years or 36K miles and the powetrain is 5year 60K, I'm curious how many people think it's worth purchasing an extended warranty. Obviously the leaf has a very different drive system and auxiliaries. We've been working on coverage to extended the 5 year 60K warranty to full coverage and an extended full coverage warranty that would give you coverage up to 8 years and 100k miles. These would be exclusionary warranties so nearly identical to the factory bumper to bumper coverage, could also be used at a Nissan dealer. They wouldn't have any coverage for the battery.

Second, would anybody be interested in leasing a used Leaf. We are working with a finance company to do just that. Lease rates would be obviously less than new, typically on a vehicle with 10K miles. Also a full coverage warranty could be added for the term, it would be a no hassle lease.

Just gauging interest in some ideas.
Thanks
Greg

I'm not in that market now, but I think it's worth considering a lease on a used Leaf with either a great battery pack in a cool climate, or an insanely low monthly payment for a car in great shape with less range. I would pay for an extended warranty, but only if it were reasonably priced *and* rolled into the lease payment.

Short answer: yes, if the lease price were low, the car in great shape, or the battery pack either in excellent shape or, if degraded, the lease price were very low and the car in otherwise excellent shape. A warranty would also interest people like me, if it were reasonably priced and 'folded' into the lease payment. I doubt many would make a separate lump sum payment for a warranty on a used car lease.

I replied to this post once, and the site ate it. There were no other posts, so it wasn't a case of a second post interrupting mine. Typing hurts my hands, so this crap really bugs me.

LeftieBiker said:
I replied to this post once, and the site ate it. There were no other posts, so it wasn't a case of a second post interrupting mine. Typing hurts my hands, so this crap really bugs me.
Your posts went into moderation for some reason. I approved them.

TomT said:
The battery is the elephant in the room and any extended warranty that did not cover capacity would be of no value in my opinion...

On a short term lease? I don't know about that. This model wouldn't work in blazing hot climates, obviously, and in mild ones the degradation would be fairly slow.

LeftieBiker said:
If my posts alone are going to moderation (and the first one actually appeared here before doing so) then I have no interest in posting in the forum.
The business/ads forums are special with special permissions, I'll make an inquiry.

Back