cmwade77
Delivery Date: 15 Nov 2017

Re: Proper EV Etiquette - Charging/Parking - Novice EV Owners

Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:24 pm

I have found the simplest solution if an ICE vehicle is parked in an EV charging space. If the cord will reach, I park behind them and charge my car. If they come out while I am still charging, I let them know that I will move once my car is done charging (especially at paid charging stations). When they complain, I tell them to go talk to security at the business and security usually tells them they are lucky they weren't towed. Sounds mean, but it drives home the point, I don't go parking my electric vehicle in front a gas pump for hours on end and that is essentially what they are doing.

RonDawg
Delivery Date: 11 Jan 2013
Leaf Number: 027089

Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:55 pm

The City of LA, like some other cities in the SoCal area, has started to install GreenLots EVSEs in various areas along the curb. The problem is that unlike with the other cities, LA does NOT put up signage prohibiting ICEVs from parking there. I ran into that problem a few days ago while in the West LA area; many of these curbside charging stations were ICE’d.

The City of LA also places these high up on a utility pole (my guess is to deter vandalism/copper theft) so I don’t blame ICEV drivers for not noticing them; in fact while I was plugged into a station that was not ICEd, a couple of people came up to me and remarked how they never noticed the EVSE before. One of them asked how I was able to reach the cord (the EVSE is about 8 feet off the ground) and I showed her that you scanned the QR code on a sign much lower down on the pole, and the cord extends down from the EVSE (all GreenLots EVSEs work this way).

Reddy
Delivery Date: 18 Aug 2011
Leaf Number: 006828

Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:52 pm

RonDawg wrote:The City of LA, like some other cities in the SoCal area, has started to install GreenLots EVSEs in various areas along the curb. The problem is that unlike with the other cities, LA does NOT put up signage prohibiting ICEVs from parking there. I ran into that problem a few days ago while in the West LA area; many of these curbside charging stations were ICE’d.

The City of LA also places these high up on a utility pole (my guess is to deter vandalism/copper theft) so I don’t blame ICEV drivers for not noticing them; in fact while I was plugged into a station that was not ICEd, a couple of people came up to me and remarked how they never noticed the EVSE before. One of them asked how I was able to reach the cord (the EVSE is about 8 feet off the ground) and I showed her that you scanned the QR code on a sign much lower down on the pole, and the cord extends down from the EVSE (all GreenLots EVSEs work this way).
Wow, thanks for the description. I was not aware of these (not that I will ever get to LA in my 2011 Leaf ;)

RonDawg

Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:10 pm

Reddy wrote:Wow, thanks for the description. I was not aware of these (not that I will ever get to LA in my 2011 Leaf ;)

No, but if you come down here and rent a car, you could end up with a PHEV.

UBUYGAS
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 20 Apr 2013
Leaf Number: 404190

Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:01 am

Reddy wrote:
RonDawg wrote:The City of LA, like some other cities in the SoCal area, has started to install GreenLots EVSEs in various areas along the curb. The problem is that unlike with the other cities, LA does NOT put up signage prohibiting ICEVs from parking there. I ran into that problem a few days ago while in the West LA area; many of these curbside charging stations were ICE’d.

Wow, thanks for the description. I was not aware of these (not that I will ever get to LA in my 2011 Leaf ;)

Reddy ,

You may see them soon since Shell Oil has bought out GreenLots.

UBUYGAS
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 20 Apr 2013
Leaf Number: 404190

Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:40 am

cmwade77 wrote:I have found the simplest solution if an ICE vehicle is parked in an EV charging space. If the cord will reach, I park behind them and charge my car. If they come out while I am still charging, I let them know that I will move once my car is done charging (especially at paid charging stations). When they complain, I tell them to go talk to security at the business and security usually tells them they are lucky they weren't towed. Sounds mean, but it drives home the point, I don't go parking my electric vehicle in front a gas pump for hours on end and that is essentially what they are doing.

I like your solution very much. I’ve done the same. And if they don’t come back I leave a WindShieldNote from http://EVparkingTickets.com

mjblazin
Delivery Date: 11 Mar 2015
Leaf Number: 405999

Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:13 am

The smartest charging stations in TX are at the far end of the parking lot. I wish everyone would do it that way. Blink has made its stations practically useless by almost always putting them near the front door. Not very bright, especially if you want to make money. EVGo does theirs in far end of drug store lots and almost never has ICE issues.

RonDawg

Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:26 am

mjblazin wrote:The smartest charging stations in TX are at the far end of the parking lot. I wish everyone would do it that way. Blink has made its stations practically useless by almost always putting them near the front door. Not very bright, especially if you want to make money. EVGo does theirs in far end of drug store lots and almost never has ICE issues.

Maybe in your area, but in mine evGO’s units aren’t at the far end of the lot.

While I would love for the charging networks to do what Tesla does and put them in the least-used part of a lot, it also adds to the installation costs.

DarthPuppy
Delivery Date: 11 Aug 2013

Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:19 pm

Less premium placement within parking lots would help quite a bit in some places. A couple places I've been, parking was so constrained it wouldn't matter where the spot was, it will be ICEd regularly. In retroactive installations, the location within the lot can impact the cost. But the reduced headaches of customers fighting each other and complaining to management/security etc. is likely well worth that additional investment. Though bringing up these headaches is probably not a good part of the sales pitch to get reluctant managers to sign up for installation.

I'd really like to see more balance in the installations. One nearby mall has 1 Level 2, 1 Combo DCFC, and 12 Tesla. Another mall has a pair of Combo DCFC, but no Level 2 or Tesla.

Good to know about how Greenlot stations work. I had no idea they existed. No I have something new to research and look for. Thanks

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:50 pm

It would be nice is EVGo combo stations all had L-2, even if not for free. I looked longingly at one of their combo setups at the supermarket at which I most often shop, for almost two years, but couldn't use it until I got my 2018.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Return to “Private For Sale, Want To Buy”