50A 12kW Level 2 OpenEVSE Charging Station with RGB LCD and Ammeter For Sale

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VegasBrad

NEW EVSE 25-50A 12kW High Power Level 2 RGB LCD OpenEVSE Waterproof Outdoor Charging Station For Sale

I have a Premium 50A 12kW High Power OpenEVSE completed kit for sale with a Custom 52A J1772 25 foot cable using a 63A plug. Its running OpenEVSE’s v.4 board with built in current reading right on the LCD! It uses the upgrade RGB model LCD display that changes colors for different status and Real Time Clock that allows you to set a delay timer great for those of us that can sign up with discounted night time electric rates. Featuring a 50A 3.5ft. input cable with 14-50 plug and 50A high current contactor. This unit operates at Level 2 on 240VAC. This is very mounted in a very nice custom Polycarbonate Enclosure - NEMA Rated for outdoor use.

The cost is $598.00 plus $25 for UPS ground shipping in the continental USA.
I offer a 2 Year Parts and Labor Warranty on all my EVSE's

The premium board/RGB LCD/Ammeter and heavy J1772 Whip add some cost as you can see but make the best unit you can own!

Also available in cheaper 40A version with Blue lcd/no timer, no ammeter, and 40A 15' BSA Custom whip with upgradeable length. $514.00

For many more options and pricing download my PDF Catalog:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/amm3wuxjl6872ko/BSAelectronics%20EVSE%20flyer%20for%20CL.pdf?dl=0

It will charge any J1772 compliant car at up to 40A continuously. However you can dial it back to whatever you have for a supply like a 30A dryer outlet.

The EVSE may be set in multiple steps between 6A-40A in 2 amp increments. This advertises the available current to the EV which intern draws what it is designed for. You can go into the menu and set it for less if you take the EVSE on the road with you to fit what you may find in the wild.

I can now customize the firmware to whatever values you like before shipping. I chose these values to give the user flexibility for various outlets found in the wild. This unit is constructed with 50A components except for the J1772 cable "whip" which is 52A. It is built to plug into a 14-50 outlet protected by a 50A circuit breaker. 40A is 80% of 50A and it is the maximum allowed for the homes outlet as a continuous load.

Specs:
• OpenEVSE control board
• 25ft. Custom 52A J1772 "Whip" with 63A high current plug and PET braided sleeving.
• The contactor is a quality 50A 240v unit
• The input cable is 50A 3.5ft. 6ga. cable with the popular NEMA 14-50 plug. This is the one many of the Tesla guys have installed as well as the standard at RV parks!
• You can even use the PlugShare app and set the filters to include NEMA 14-50 outlets and see all of them in the country, there are a surprising number of them.
• It has a RGB RTC LCD display. (Red Green Blue with Real Time Clock) This allows you to set a delay timer great for those of us that can sign up with discounted night time eclectic rates.
• I used a metal blue lighted ring Menu/Select button. With IP65 water resistance rating
• Heat shrink tubing used throughout.
• All parts are new.

Here is a link to me demoing a similar older unit:
https://youtu.be/BFseWN7JhNM

If you would like the unit customized with a twist lock plug for example or something other than the NEMA 14-50 plug I can do that for the difference in parts. I also build custom adapters, see my PDF.

Local pickup in Las Vegas near Smith's grocery on East Flamingo. Payment is by PayPal if shipped or cash for local pickup. $25 for UPS ground shipping in the continental USA.

I worked hard on a nice PDF featuring some of the EVSE's I build and accessories. Check it out here for current pricing:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/amm3wuxjl6872ko/BSAelectronics%20EVSE%20flyer%20for%20CL.pdf?dl=0

I get a lot of inquires about custom builds. YES I definitely take orders for anything you would like to see in your EVSE. Example I can build this one here for the same price and make the Whip longer for under $2/ft up to 50ft. Private message me or if you have a general question you think the rest of the community can benefit from post it here.

Works with the following vehicles and more!
Nissan LEAF
Toyota RAV4
Toyota Prius Plug-in
Chevrolet Volt
Chevrolet Spark EV
Mitsubishi i-MiEV
BMW i3
BMW i8
Cadillac ELR
Fiat 500e
Ford C-max Energi
Ford Fusion Energi
Ford Focus Electric
Honda Accord Plug-in Hybrid
Smart ForTwo Electric Drive
Porsche Panamera S e-Hybrid
Toyota Prius Plug-in Hybrid
Volkswagen e-Golf
Kia Soul EV
Tesla Model S (with included OEM J1772 adapter)
Tesla Model X (with included OEM J1772 adapter)

It will charge any J1772 compliant car at up to 40A including home built/converted cars with a J1772 inlet installed.

Case Specs:
• UL Listed to UL 508A, Type 1, 2, 4, 4X, 12 and 13 specifications (File E352997)
• Designed to IP66 of IEC 529 specifications
• Silicone rubber gasket makes this ideal for outdoor use in a wide range of adverse conditions
• Surface-mounting flanges
• Stainless steel screws thread into brass inserts for reliable cover seal.
• Durable, impact-resistant UV Stabilized Polycarbonate material with polished finish

Main Board Specs:
• Open Source - Hardware (Creative Commons 3.0 BY-SA) and Firmware (GNU GPL v3)
• Fully supports SAE J1772 Recommended Practice
• Software adjustable pilot (6A -- 40A)
• 4W Switch Mode Power Supply Integrated
• Built in GFCI with 20ma trip point
• Supports all J1772 states including "ventilation required"
• Supports Diode check
• AC L1 -- L2 auto detect Current setting for each (only L2 available on this build)
• Ground verification and Stuck Relay detection

BSA Electronics was started out of my lifelong passion and love of electronics.
In June of 2014 I purchased my 1st Electric Vehicle a 2013 Nissan LEAF! This is the funnest car I've ever owned. It started me on the search for a Level 2 charging station. Finding prices near $1000 and higher I kept digging and after some research I found the OpenEVSE project. This DIY approach and open community of software and hardware really spoke to me. I built one EVSE around the OpenEVSE main board and sold it, then another and another. This was the humble beginnings of my home based business that bare my initials.

While employed by a local contractor who stopped paying me and the other employee for many months, we went through a severe financial hardship. I was driven and motivated to making BSA Electronics a real business.

I sell Electric Vehicle Charging Stations (called EVSE's) and accessories to support my family. We are located in sunny Las Vegas Nevada.

I am currently in the market for a simple, robust L2 EVSE. My two main candidates are the Siemens Versicharge VC30GRYHW, which delivers 30A, has a 3 year warranty, and costs me $444 delivered from Amazon, and the Clipper Creek HCS-40, which delivers 32A, has a 3 year warranty, and costs me $584 delivered from Clipper Creek.

I am new to the research of EVSEs and I'm not an electrical engineer (I'm a physicist by training), so I don't think I understand the benefits of your offering. Can you please explain to me why - other than cost savings over the Clipper Creek - I would want to purchase your product?

What I want is
- reliable, no hassle charging that uses all of my 6.6kW charger in my 2015 Leaf
- a long lasting product (perhaps indicated by a long warranty)
- excellent customer service
- a hardwired product
- budget is $584

This is a serious inquiry. I am not challenging you to be difficult. I really want to know the benefits of your product.

Thanks!

pncguy said:
I am currently in the market for a simple, robust L2 EVSE. My two main candidates are the Siemens Versicharge VC30GRYHW, which delivers 30A, has a 3 year warranty, and costs me $444 delivered from Amazon, and the Clipper Creek HCS-40, which delivers 32A, has a 3 year warranty, and costs me $584 delivered from Clipper Creek.

I am new to the research of EVSEs and I'm not an electrical engineer (I'm a physicist by training), so I don't think I understand the benefits of your offering. Can you please explain to me why - other than cost savings over the Clipper Creek - I would want to purchase your product?

What I want is
- reliable, no hassle charging that uses all of my 6.6kW charger in my 2015 Leaf
- a long lasting product (perhaps indicated by a long warranty)
- excellent customer service
- a hardwired product
- budget is $584

This is a serious inquiry. I am not challenging you to be difficult. I really want to know the benefits of your product.

Thanks!

pncguy,

Thanks for your interest. The OpenEVSE project started several year ago and has grown to a very reliable fully featured EVSE. It is open source hardware and software. Using a LCD gives you much greater information than LED lights found on commercial units and a menu where you can set the charge current yourself to match the outlet, allowing you to take it with you and plug into various outlets in the wild with adapters. Several options area available and this one has all of them, The premium RGB LCD with RTC, The back-light of the LCD changes when the EVSE is in the various states, "Ready", "Connected", "Charging" The RTC - Real Time Clock is another feature you don't get without a real LCD display, The user can set the time and date and set a specific start and stop time down to the minute f to take advantage of TOU - Time Of Use Rates for discounted electric rates.

An in-screen ammeter shows you the current your EV is drawing and with the new software now has kilowatt meters. A session meter is shown in the left corner and a lifetime kilowatt hour meter in the right. by multiplying this number by your electric rate you can see how much money your EV cost to fill.

I offer a 1year parts/labor warranty on all my product. If you need to call you will never get a phone system with the dreaded run around we have all experienced. I also offer upgrades, down the road if you want hardware or firmware changes it's possible, with commercial units it's one size fits all.

I sell Electric Vehicle Charging Stations (called EVSE's) and accessories to support my family, this is a full time en devour, I love electronics and like to offer people a item at reasonable prices. Considering all the hours I put in, it equates to approximately minimum wage, I don't do this to get rich, I do this because of my passion for electronics and supporting a family.

A friend wants to buy a Tesla 100 amp (80 amp max output) HPWC (EVSE) for a future
Tesla purchase, but use it at 40 amps (on a 50 amp circuit) for now with his J1772 EV.

Presumably, he could replace the Tesla cable with your J1772 cable (listed with this
EVSE offering), and carefully switch back later, right?

How much is your "24 foot" J1772 cable, please?
Shipping to northern California would be how much?

Thanks for your continued dedication to your work.

A friend wants to buy a Tesla 100 amp (80 amp max output) HPWC (EVSE) for a future
Tesla purchase, but use it at 40 amps (on a 50 amp circuit) for now with his J1772 EV.

Presumably, he could replace the Tesla cable with your J1772 cable (listed with this
Yes, the J1772 signaling is the same, if he's handy it should be a doable project.

I don't normally sell parts separately but I know your very technically inclined so I trust you. Let me put together a price and shoot you a PM

Thanks for your continued dedication to your work.[/quote]
Thanks for the kind words Gary

garygid said:

Thanks for your continued dedication to your work.

Any length cables are available from Rush at TusonEV or Tony at Quick Charge Power. The 40A cables from Rush are larger and seem to run cooler at 40A. The Quick Charge cables are more expensive but they are very small.

Both vendors have web sites with the cables shown. Both are professionally crimped.

GlennD said:
Any length cables are available from Rush at TusonEV or Tony at Quick Charge Power. The 40A cables from Rush are larger and seem to run cooler at 40A. The Quick Charge cables are more expensive but they are very small.

Both vendors have web sites with the cables shown. Both are professionally crimped.
And they both use real insulation vs whatever is being used on these cords which isn't clear as the OP doesn't seem to want to talk about that.

VegasBrad: I notice that one of the safety related specs for your EVSE is "Built in GFCI with 20ma trip point", whereas the Siemens VersiCharge EVSE, for instance, touts a "UL Listed 5 mA CCID" spec -- which I believe relates to the same safety issue.

Could you (or anyone else knowledgeable about this issue) comment further for those trying to decide about what EVSE to buy?

MikeD said:
VegasBrad: I notice that one of the safety related specs for your EVSE is "Built in GFCI with 20ma trip point", whereas the Siemens VersiCharge EVSE, for instance, touts a "UL Listed 5 mA CCID" spec -- which I believe relates to the same safety issue.

Could you (or anyone else knowledgeable about this issue) comment further for those trying to decide about what EVSE to buy?

That is the spec list for the OpenEVSE control board from the website. It is self testing each time the EVSE is powered up. Their is a UL listed version of the control board now, it's 349.00 vs. 79.99

The EVSE spec is looser than a household 120V GFCI. That is set for 5 MA. The spec for an EVSE is 20MA.

In earlier testing of the MID400's and the recommended 22K mfg resistor value would draw more than 5 MA and if it was plugged into a 120V GFCI the GFCI would trip. Changing to 47K resistors cured that problem and it still works fine. The processor port is a light load.

For my testing I use a 10K resistor for 12 MA and a 5K resistor for 24 MA. The GFCI should not trip at 12 MA and it should trip at 24 MA. This is from the active L to Ground. For 240V use both L's are active.

Back