30A Level 2 LCD OpenEVSE Waterproof Outdoor Charging Station

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VegasBrad

30A 7.2kW Level 2 Blue LCD OpenEVSE Waterproof Outdoor Charging Station For Sale

I bought a 2013 Nissan LEAF and love it! I have a heavy electrical background and was inspired when I saw some DIY units for sale here. I apologize to those who have already read the following before, I finally had to turn the matter over to the Nevada District Attorney, it looks like I might finally get some of the money I earned..>> Work had been very slow and finally stopped. My employer is many months behind in paying the other employee and I. :cry: This has caused a severe financial hardship. It's a very stressful time with 2 little boys. I need to support my family anyway I can and am hoping to build and sell more EVSE's. Thanks for reading this, Now on to the fun stuff!!

I have a 30A 7.2kW OpenEVSE completed kit for sale with a Yazaki 15 foot cable. It has a nice blue LCD. 40A 4ft. Power input cable with 14-50 plug. 50A high current contactor. This unit operates at Level 2 on 240VAC. This is very mounted in a very nice custom Polycarbonate Enclosure with beautiful graphics - NEMA Rated for outdoor use.

I built this unit with my last Yazaki cable, I’m selling it for $10 less than I paid for it. I will be using my BSA custom J1772 “whips” for my future builds as most people like the 25+ ft. lengths and I charge very little to make them over 15’

The cost is $431.40 plus $25 for UPS ground shipping in the continental USA.
I offer a 1 Year Parts and Labor Warranty on all my EVSE’s

For many more options download my PDF:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hc6ei1dkkqwbiwz/BSAelectronics EVSE flyer.pdf?dl=0

It will charge any J1772 compliant car at up to 30A. However you can dial it back to whatever you have for a supply like a 20A 240v Air conditioner outlet. (plug adapter required)
The EVSE may be set in multiple steps between 6-30A in 2 amp increments. This advertises the available current to the EV which intern draws what it is designed for. You can go into the menu and set it for less if you take the EVSE on the road with you to fit what you may find in the wild.

I can now customize the firmware to whatever values you like before shipping. I chose these values to give the user flexibility for various outlets found in the wild. I stop at 30A as this is what the cables are rated for. This unit is constructed with a 40A power cable and a 50A contactor. The J1772 cable “whip” is 30A. It is built to plug into a 14-50 outlet protected by a 40A or 50A circuit breaker. 32A is 80% of 40A and it is the maximum allowed for the homes outlet as a continuous load.
The NEC defines anything running over 3 hrs. as continuous.

Specs:
• OpenEVSE v.2.5Plus board
• 15ft. 30A Yazaki J1772 “Whip”
• The contactor is a quality 50A 240v unit
• The input cable is 40A 4ft. 6ga. with the popular NEMA 14-50 plug. This is the one all the Tesla guys have installed as well as the standard at RV parks!
• You can even use the PlugShare app and set the filters to include NEMA 14-50 and see all of them in the country, there are a surprising number of them.
• It has a Blue LCD display.
• I used a metal Menu/Select button. With IP65 water resistance rating
• Heat shrink tubing used throughout.
• All parts are new.

Here is a link to me demoing the unit’s bigger brother also listed for sale here:
https://youtu.be/BFseWN7JhNM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is a link to the owner’s manual:
https://code.google.com/p/open-evse/wiki/Users_Guide

If you would like the unit customized with a twist lock plug for example or something other than the NEMA 14-50 plug I can do that for the difference in parts. For example a L6-30.this would allow you to use many adapters. I also build custom adapters, see my other thread or PDF.

If you would like to see it in action on your EV we can arrange that thru private message at my home. Local pickup in Las Vegas near Smith's grocery on East Flamingo. Payment is by PayPal if shipped or cash for local pickup.

I worked hard on a nice PDF featuring some of the EVSE's I build and accessories. Check it out here for current pricing:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hc6ei1dkkqwbiwz/BSAelectronics EVSE flyer.pdf?dl=0

I get a lot of inquires about custom builds. YES I definitely take orders for anything you would like to see in your EVSE. Example I can build this one here for the same price and make the Whip longer for very few dollars per ft. up to 50ft. Private message me or if you have a general question you think the rest of the community can benefit from post it here.

Some pics may be turned due to Photobucket, I tried to fix them but it just gets worse.

Case Specs:
• UL Listed to UL 508A, Type 1, 2, 4, 4X, 12 and 13 specifications (File E352997)
• Designed to IP66 of IEC 529 specifications
• Silicone rubber gasket makes this ideal for outdoor use in a wide range of adverse conditions
• Surface-mounting flanges
• Stainless steel screws thread into brass inserts for reliable cover seal.
• Durable, impact-resistant UV Stabilized Polycarbonate material with polished finish

Main Board Specs:
• Open Source - Hardware (Creative Commons 3.0 BY-SA) and Firmware (GNU GPL v3)
• Fully supports SAE J1772 Recommended Practice
• Software adjustable pilot (6A – 40A)
• 4W Switch Mode Power Supply Integrated
• Built in GFCI with 20ma trip point
• Supports all J1772 states including “ventilation required”
• Supports Diode check
• AC L1 – L2 auto detect Current setting for each (only L2 available on this build)
• Ground verification and Stuck Relay detection

LEGAL DISCLAIMER: Because of lawyers I have to add this. This EVSE is intended for use ONLY by responsible adults. Because they are hand-made, they are not UL listed - but are made from UL listed parts. 240v electricity is serious business and caution should be exercised while using any EVSE. For safety's sake, do not use this EVSE outdoors in inclement weather unless it is a model that specifically says Outdoor or Waterproof. You should always install a GFCI breaker not a standard one for any and all circuits a person can come in contact with. This EVSE has a GFCI built inside that protects from that point down line. (The J plug side of the EVSE is safe for outdoors in all weather). BY PLACING AN ORDER WITH US, YOU ASSUME ALL RISK ASSOCIATED WITH USING THIS EVSE AND AGREE THAT WE ARE NOT LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGE THAT MAY RESULT FROM THEIR USE.

Back