40A OpenEVSE with a RGB display and RTC is Sold less J1772

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlennD

I have an OpenEVSE unit for sale. It is mounted in a 8X8X4 inch junction box. It consists of a Barbouri ver 4.21 OpenEVSE board, a 12V power supply, a color RGB display with a RTC, a combo voltage, current, and power meter. The meter will read KW, volt amps, and power factor. This unit has a 50A 240V contactor for L2 operation. The power is from a 4 foor 40A range cord with a 14-50 plug. OpenEVSE adhears to the J1772 standard so it will charge any J1772 car up to 40A depending on the cable. It has a real time clock for delayed charging. The RTC worked fine on both my Leaf's and it currently works fine on my Mercedes Benz B Class Electric Drive EV.

This unit requires a 40A circuit for a 32A J1772 cable or a 50A circuit for a 40A cable. It should be protected by a 40A breaker (32A) or a 50A breaker (40A).

This unit requires a J1772 cable. If you have it sent to me I will install and check it for proper operation.

Here is an Ebay link for a Yazaki 32A cable. I have purchased from this seller before.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-SAE-J1772-YAZAKI-EVSE-30A-EV-16-CHARGING-CORD-120-240V-Level-2-UL-/121609082930?hash=item1c50775832&vxp=mtr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For a nice small 40A cable I recommend Quick Charge Power

http://www.quickchargepower.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am selling this for $250 plus $25 for shipping. Local pickup in Anaheim near Disneyland is available.

This is sold ASIS but I guarantee it will function upon receipt. Payment is cash for local pickup or Paypal if I ship the unit.

I shamelessly took this from vegasbrad's ad. It is a good idea to emphise the details. I have always depended on my user's common sense.

LEGAL DISCLAIMER: Because of lawyers I have to add this. This EVSE is intended for use ONLY by responsible adults. Because they are hand-made, they are not UL listed - but are made from UL listed parts. 240v electricity is serious business and caution should be exercised while using any EVSE. For safety's sake, do not use this EVSE outdoors in inclement weather unless it is a model that specifically says Outdoor or Waterproof. This EVSE has a GFCI built inside that protects from that point down line. (The J plug side of the the EVSE is safe for outdoors in all weather). BY PLACING AN ORDER WITH US, YOU ASSUME ALL RISK ASSOCIATED WITH USING THIS EVSE AND AGREE THAT WE ARE NOT LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGE THAT MAY RESULT FROM THEIR USE.

Well, I just received a 16 ft Yazaki unused cable from the link I posted. For non Tesla based cars this is a good solution. It can charge any J1772 compatible car including Tesla based cars at up to 32A. It will charge an enhanced Leaf at 27.5A and an older leaf at 16A.

This would require a 14-50 receptacle wired with #8 wire on a 40A breaker. The neutral is not used by the EVSE but why not completely wire it up in the event that someday you will need 120V at 40A. The added cost is small compared to the labor cost.

I will sell the OpenEVSE with the Yazaki cable installed and tested for $400 plus $25 for shipping. This is for someone that wants a complete EVSE without the hassle of separately ordering the cable. As I stated earlier, I will install and test your supplied cable at no added cost.

The Quick Charge Power cable is very small and light. With it you have 40A capability. It does increase the cost but it does future proof the unit. The charger in the car will draw its max as long as the EVSE can supply its requirements. If the EVSE offers less then the car will respect that. For example my B Class will happily charge at 32A on a Yazaki cable even though it could take 40A. Anything over the charger's requirements is simply not used. Unless you are buying for the next car it is money wasted.

I originally built up a 30A EVSE to charge my 2012 Leaf at 16A. It was not until I traded in my Leaf on a 2013 Leaf SL did the EVSE reach up to close to its full capacity. The only time it supplied its full 30A was when Phil Childs visited and charged his RAV4 EV. A lesser EVSE would have been fine but I wanted future expansion.

Since I offered this for $400 with a new cable I have lowered the price of the unit without the J1772 cable to $250 plus shipping. Since a cable costs around $150 this is now in line with my cable installed price.

I know many want a complete EVSE. Send me a cable and it will be complete. The 40A J1772 cable is $155 from Quick Charge power, A 20 ft 30A J1772 cable is $125 from TusonEV, and a 30A 16 ft J1772 cable is $100 on Ebay.

With the exception of Tesla based EV's like my Mercedes B Class(40A), no current car requires over 30A. A Leaf draws a max of 27.5A.

I will gladly at no further cost install your supplied J1772 cable. Even a cable from a junk Nissan EVSE could make a 16A EVSE on a 20A circuit. To go this route the AC plug needs to be changed to a L6-20P ($20). The existing 14-50 plug would work but it would be extreme overkill.

This is most likely sold. I am just waiting for the 40A Quick Charge Power cable to be drop shipped to me. This is sold, I received tracking on the Quick Charge Cable.

Back