50A 12kW Deluxe OpenEVSE waterproof outdoor unit For Sale

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VegasBrad

50A 12kW Level 2 Deluxe OpenEVSE Waterproof Outdoor Charging Station For Sale

I have a Deluxe 50A 9.6kW OpenEVSE for sale with a Custom 52A J1772 25 foot cable using a 63A plug. 50A 4ft. Power input cable with 14-50 plug. 50A high current contactor. This unit operates at Level 2 on 240volts AC. This is mounted in a PolyCase Polycarbonate Enclosure with Clear Cover - NEMA Rated for outdoor use. This unit requires a 50A 240V circuit with a NEMA 14-50 outlet for full 40A potential. However you can dial it back to whatever you have for a supply like a 30A dryer outlet, see below.

The cost is $506.55 plus $25 for UPS ground shipping in the continental USA.
I offer a 1 Year Parts and Labor Warranty on all my EVSE’s

Also available in 40A 9.6kW $495.55 version. (input cable and J1772 cable changed, all else the same)

Check out my PDF catalog here for more options:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hc6ei1dkkqwbiwz/BSAelectronics EVSE flyer.pdf?dl=0

It will charge any J1772 compliant car at up to 40A continuously
The EVSE may be set in multiple steps on Level 2.
Level 2: 6-40A in 2A increments with memory
This advertises the available current to the EV which intern draws what it is designed for. You can go into the menu and set it for less if you take the EVSE on the road with you to fit what you may find in the wild. I offer adapters to fit many different outlets.

I can now customize the firmware to match the hardware. I chose these values to give the user flexibility for various outlets found in the wild. This unit is constructed with 50A components. It is designed to plug into a 14-50 outlet protected by a 50A circuit breaker. 40A is 80% of 50A and it is the recommended max load for the homes outlet as a continuous load.

Specs:
OpenEVSE main board
All nuts/bolts/washers are STAINLESS STEEL
The base plate inside is custom cut aluminum
20ft. Custom 52A J1772 “Whip” with 63A high current plug and PET braided sleeving.
The contactor is a quality Packard 50A 240v unit
The input cable is 50A 4ft. 6ga. with the popular NEMA 14-50 plug. This is the one all the Tesla guys have installed as well as the standard at RV parks!
You can even use the PlugShare app and set the filters to include NEMA 14-50 and see all of them in the country, there are a surprising number of them.
It has a monochrome blue display
I used a metal blue lighted ring Menu/Select button. With IP65 water resistance rating
Heat shrink tubing used throughout.
All parts are new.

Here is a link to the owner’s manual:
https://code.google.com/p/open-evse/wiki/Users_Guide

If you would like the unit customized with a twist lock plug for example or something other than the NEMA 14-50 plug I can do that for the difference in parts. I also build custom adapters, see my other thread.

If you would like to see it in action on your EV we can arrange that thru private message at my home. Local pickup in Las Vegas near Smith's grocery on East Flamingo. Payment is by PayPal if shipped or cash for local pickup.

I worked hard on a nice PDF featuring some of the EVSE's I build and accessories. Check it out here for current pricing:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hc6ei1dkkqwbiwz/BSAelectronics EVSE flyer.pdf?dl=0

I get a lot of inquires about custom builds. YES I definitely take orders for anything you would like to see in your EVSE. Lead time is only 3 days. Example I can build this one here for the same price and make the Whip longer for under $2/ft up to 50ft. Private message me or if you have a general question you think the rest of the community can benefit from post it here.

Case Specs:
Case measures 7.63 x 4.63 x 3.09 in.
Designed to IP65 of IEC 529 and NEMA 1, 2, 4, 4x, 12 and 13 specifications
Silicone rubber gasket makes this ideal for outdoor use in a wide range of adverse conditions
Molded on surface-mounting flanges
Captive, stainless steel screws thread into brass inserts for cover on/cover off applications
UL Listed to UL508-4x specifications (File E194432)

Main Board Specs:
Open Source - Hardware (Creative Commons 3.0 BY-SA) and Firmware (GNU GPL v3)
Fully supports SAE J1772 Recommended Practice
Software adjustable pilot (6A – 40A)
4W Switch Mode Power Supply Integrated
Built in GFCI with 20ma trip point
Supports all J1772 states including “ventilation required”
Supports Diode check
AC L1 – L2 auto detect Current setting for each (only L2 available on this build)
Ground verification and Stuck Relay detection

Looks like nice work.
Sorry about your job, not getting paid is the pits.

What does this "whip" cable consist of?
Does this Relay say 40A on it?
What temperature rise do you get inside the case after 2 hours at 40 Amps?
Do you have better pictures of the J1772 plug, showing ratings and the latching mechanism?

A vertical in-line version:
I have a tall but very narrow space, about 5" wide, between two garage doors,
so I would need a case basically rotated 90 clockwise, with the Whip coming
out the bottom and the display and meter rotated ccw to compensate.
The inlet cord could come out the new top, or perhaps either end (the new top or the bottom).

Looks like nice work.
Sorry about your job, not getting paid is the pits.
Thanks for the kind works, I finally had to send it to the labor commisioner

What does this "whip" cable consist of?
Does this Relay say 40A on it?
Yes it's 40A FLA (inductive)like a AC compressor motor, 50A RES (resistive)like our EV's on-board chargers

What temperature rise do you get inside the case after 2 hours at 40 Amps?
Nothing significant in my test, warm but very happy with it. Same with the P&B 30A relays. That chineese "80A" relay that the juice box uses gets WAY hot 60A and up from my research.

A vertical in-line version:
I have a tall but very narrow space, about 5" wide, between two garage doors,
so I would need a case basically rotated 90 clockwise, with the Whip coming
out the bottom and the display and meter rotated ccw to compensate.
The inlet cord could come out the new top, or perhaps either end (the new top or the bottom).
Yes that's very doable. I take custom orders, this box is just a hair over 4 3/8" wide if turned lengthwise.

EDIT: This one is sold but I have received a lot of inquires about custom builds. (I even fulfilled a request for a identical one already :D ) YES I definitely take orders for anything you would like to see in your EVSE. Private message me or if you have a general question you think the rest of the community can benefit from post it here.

This might be an obvious question, my apologies if the answer was listed earlier. Is this more for other EV that can charge at 9.6kW as the Leaf will always be limited to 6kW? Or can the Leaf actually charge with more power than listed with this unit?

knightmb said:
This might be an obvious question, my apologies if the answer was listed earlier. Is this more for other EV that can charge at 9.6kW as the Leaf will always be limited to 6kW? Or can the Leaf actually charge with more power than listed with this unit?

It's all about headroom. All EVSE's have a rating of what they can offer the EV. They will allow up to their rating to be drawn. The charger (the expensive part) in in the EV and will draw what it needs but won't exceed the rate the EVSE caps out at. The higher amp EVSE's are a better investment for the future as the Public demands more range that means bigger batt. packs. As the the economics of scale allow larger and larger packs at a dropping price you will have bigger packs in future cars. However people don't want longer charging times to go with that. many bauk at what we have now. So the chargers will have to be scaled to match the batt. pack size.
An example of this would be a future LEAF with double today's range, using a 48kWh batt. pack with a 13.2kW charger on board that will charge at approx. the same as today's rates. If you buy a EVSE with some headroom today it can still be useful for many years to come.

My cost is similar for a pair of 30A relays or a 50A contactor w/driver board. The custom 40A 15' "whip" is $10 right now more than the least expensive 30A 15' pre made I can get. and the input cord (wall side) is already 40A. So for $10 more you get a 40A EVSE instead of a 30A EVSE. That's a good deal.
For another $13 approx. I can bump up the input cable to the 50A version. and the whip to 45A. Now you have a 45A 10.8kWh EVSE. Very flexible for the future and can even supply a little more than the Toyota Rav4ev's full rate.

I will offer custom 52A and 60A whips in the near future.

VegasBrad said:
knightmb said:

It's all about headroom. All EVSE's have a rating of what they can offer the EV. They will allow up to their rating to be drawn. The charger (the expensive part) in in the EV and will draw what it needs but won't exceed the rate the EVSE caps out at. The higher amp EVSE's are a better investment for the future as the Public demands more range that means bigger batt. packs. As the the economics of scale allow larger and larger packs at a dropping price you will have bigger packs in future cars. However people don't want longer charging times to go with that. many bauk at what we have now. So the chargers will have to be scaled to match the batt. pack size.
An example of this would be a future LEAF with double today's range, using a 48kWh batt. pack with a 13.2kW charger on board that will charge at approx. the same as today's rates. If you buy a EVSE with some headroom today it can still be useful for many years to come.

My cost is similar for a pair of 30A relays or a 50A contactor w/driver board. The custom 40A 15' "whip" is $10 more than the least expensive 30A 15' pre made I can get. and the input cord (wall side) is already 40A. So for $10 more you get a 40A EVSE instead of a 30A EVSE. That a good deal.
For another $13 approx. I can bump up the input cable to the 50A version. and the whip to 45A. Now you have a 45A 10.8kWh EVSE. Very flexible for the future and can even supply a little more than the Toyota Rav4ev's full rate.

I'm not in the market now so this question is more for personal knowledge and or others. Would this EVSE allow the car to charge at the full 6.6kWh rate AND pull 3.2kWh to run the climate control?

No, the oem charger is your only source when connected to shore power so the total budget is what ever your charger is rated. My 2013 LEAF is 6600 watts for example. If every minute counts then leave the car off when charging below 80% Above that and the charge must be slowed per Lithium Ions required charge profile so you will have more watts available to do something like run the climate control. I charged at a public station a few weeks back, i was down to 20%, ran the AC as I sat there and it didn't seem to take any longer to my surprise so YMMV.

VegasBrad said:
No, the oem charger is your only source when connected to shore power so the total budget is what ever your charger is rated. My 2013 LEAF is 6600 watts for example. If every minute counts then leave the car off when charging below 80% Above that and the charge must be slowed per Lithium Ions required charge profile so you will have more watts available to do something like run the climate control. I charged at a public station a few weeks back, i was down to 20%, ran the AC as I sat there and it didn't seem to take any longer to my surprise so YMMV.

Yes I did something similar the other day, I was at an L3 and went for a walk while charging, -20C out, 11pm at night. I've been doing that to keep warm moving and avoid running the heat while charging and also for the exercise. When I got back I was at 10 amps or so according to the L3 unit. Went in and turned on the heat, can't remember the numbers but the amps jumped up and it pretty much went up by the same amount of energy as the on board energy display said my heater was pulling.

Haven't tried it yet in the 20-80% range but since I usually come in warm at an L3 the heater needs aren't that high when I first get there.

The L2 EVSE and the LEAF's internal charger limits the power into the Battery Pack
when doing L2 charging. The heating just uses energy from the Battery Pack,
independent of the charging process. Since a Chademo QC (some call it L3)
charging session can add energy to the Battery Pack a LOT faster, any energy
being used for heating (while QC is in progress) is a smaller fraction of the
incoming (charging) energy, and essentially goes directly from the QC to
the heater, with less going into the Battery Pack.

It is possible that the QC controller in the LEAF is monitoring the current
going into the Battery Pack, and it could request more current from the
QC device, to make up for current used by the heater. This might vary
between model years, and in different firmware versions. Apparently,
you observed this happening ... in what year LEAF?

garygid said:
The L2 EVSE and the LEAF's internal charger limits the power into the Battery Pack
when doing L2 charging. The heating just uses energy from the Battery Pack,
independent of the charging process. Since a Chademo QC (some call it L3)
charging session can add energy to the Battery Pack a LOT faster, any energy
being used for heating (while QC is in progress) is a smaller fraction of the
incoming (charging) energy, and essentially goes directly from the QC to
the heater, with less going into the Battery Pack.

It is possible that the QC controller in the LEAF is monitoring the current
going into the Battery Pack, and it could request more current from the
QC device, to make up for current used by the heater. This might vary
between model years, and in different firmware versions. Apparently,
you observed this happening ... in what year LEAF?

In my 2013 LEAF. unfortunately the QC package (L3) hasn't done any good in the Vally. we have no working chademo chargers here. the one at Sahara Nissan has been broke for like a year and was removed from charge points App. the ones on water street in Henderson never got opened. they can be seen on the plug share app.

Yes, absolutely! MNL is still not getting email notifications out when a member PM's me, others have reported the same. Someone said it was a Hotmail problem, I believe it as Gm-Volt forum has intermittently had the same issue. I would love to build you your own custom EVSE. You can email me directly at [email protected] Check our my PDF catalog and website at the links below.

Cheers
Brad Apelgren
Owner - BSA Electronics
[email protected]
My PDF catalog (updated very frequently): https://www.dropbox.com/s/hc6ei1dkkqwbiwz/BSAelectronics%20EVSE%20flyer.pdf?dl=0

Back